Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

@KarriB , This weather is certainly not helping things at all. I'm hopeful we'll see some sunshine this week; it certainly is long overdue! Once the sun shows up, I do have a nice covered deck I can sit on and front porch with wicker rocker chairs. Either would be nice to sit in and soak up some fresh air. Hopefully, this little trip will make a big difference!

Roxie
 
I was just thinking about a play that I taught in American Literature Honors---it applied to your situation last night. It was by Eugene O'Neil and it was called, "The Iceman Cometh."

(Sorry---I just couldn't resist...):snork::snork:
No, last night, The Iceman Leaveth. He Cometh Today. :D


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You guys make me smile. All I know is that I sure like having the Iceman here more than I like having him gone! I slept great last night -- even forgot to wake up and take pain medication again. The new ice machine is quieter than the old one so I think that helps too. I'm looking forward to getting my staples out on Tuesday and the sun is shining. Amazing what a difference a day can make!

Roxie
 
I read that eventually the weather affect subsides


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The weather effect has subsided for me, finally! The decrease in the weather will depend on how long it takes your knee to recover. Of course there are always other joints willing to chime in.
 
I am thinking of trying to wait until next May to get my left knee done. My work with my first graders will be nearly done and unlike the right knee I won't be stuck in the house afterward. I'd be able to go out to my porch to get out of the house or just walk down the drive.
Last year I planned on taking off from Oct. 29-Jan 2 for my RTKR, however the infection and second surgery kept me out until Jan 29, even when I went back it was mornings only for six weeks. So if I can hold off till next May I'll have May and June to rehab and still have a bit of summer to enjoy.
So I'm planning my next knee around the weather! I was stuck in the house for most of the Polar Vortex due to the ice as much as the infection.
 
That sounds like a good plan to me @KarriB , unless, of course, the pain is too much to handle in the meantime. I guess one way or another, our lives revolve around our knees until we get them taken care of.

I rode along to the Kansas-Nebraska state line today with my husband to meet my sister and her husband to pick up some locker beef we were getting from them for us and for our son and his family. It was nice to see my sister and we had a nice lunch before both heading home in the opposite direction. We stopped about halfway both ways and I made the trip fine although did get a little uncomfortable by the time I got home. It probably wasn't the best planning on my part because on Tuesday, I have to go to PT early in the morning then head straight to Kansas City for my post-surgical check-up with my OS. That's going to be a long day and I am kind of dreading it. Russ will be going with me again but I am hoping to get cleared to drive since I have cut back quite a bit on pain pills.

One thing I have a problem with is finding a comfortable way to sit without my legs getting crampy. I do fine in the recliner with my leg elevated and spend a lot of time there but does anyone have any suggestions for the times I might like to sit somewhere other than the recliner!

Have a good evening,
Roxie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I made it without a recliner. Much of my recovery was in a club chair with an ottoman and pillows, sometimes I moved over to the sofa with my leg elevated with pillows or with my legs up on the arms of the sofa while I laid flat. While at PT last year I saw a wedge pillow used to elevate, that may be an option for me next year.

Hope all goes well at PT and OS. It's a relief to get the staples/stitches out.
 
We made a run to the Houston area over the weekend. I don't think my knee liked to long drive, but it wasn't too bad. I mostly rode in the back seat with pillows and cryo-cuff available (and used). Was tired when we got home. Rested up Sunday. Good luck on Tuesday. I begin outpatient PT on Tuesday, but while I'm in town, I'm going to stop at the clinic and discuss maybe adding some Tramadol to my pain management scheme for a little while. Tylenol is just barely doing the job.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60 , I'll be anxious to hear what my OS has to say about pain management too. I still have percocet but rather than taking two every 4 hours like I was at first, I am taking one percocet along with one Tylenol every 6 hours. Sometimes, if I'm not in pain, I just take two Tylenol and skip the percocet. But, other times, I need the percocet. I do plan to talk to him about it tomorrow.

And, like you, I rode in the backseat most of the time with my ice machine plugged into the car and pillows! Hope PT goes well.

Roxie
 
Well, today has been a low-key day. My knee is a little sore -- probably from getting uncomfortable on my road trip yesterday -- so I kept my exercises light today and took a couple short walks down the street. Other than that, icing and elevating has been the rule of the day.

I'm already pretty tired just thinking about tomorrow. I have PT at 8:00 a.m. in Wichita then have to drive about 3 hours to KC for my post-surgical check-up, then turn around and drive the same distance home. The good news is that I'll be getting my staples out and that is going to be a relief. The bad news is that it's going to be a long exhausting day. Maybe that means I'll sleep really well tomorrow night!

Roxie
 
Ay yi yi, all this driving around sounds miserable. But someone else is chauffeuring, right? If I were you (I'm not-) I'd skip PT tomorrow because one appointment in a day is plenty. Take care, please.
 
@Clipless , my husband will be chauffeuring. I'm hoping I'll get cleared to drive because all I have to do is basically drive back and forth to PT for a few days. My husband has been wanting to go to Nebraska to visit his mom and I could send him on his wife as long as I can drive. And, if something comes up, I have a sister, son and daughter in law in town who could help out too.

Crazy midwesterners. Driving all over the place!

Roxie
 
It is, @referee54 , but I'm willing to pay the price for a surgeon that I trust. I doubt I'll be the cheeriest traveler by the time I get home though.

Roxie
 
That sounds so tiring! Hope all goes well!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
I feel your pain. My surgeon is 2 1/2 hours away, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but it does make getting back for appointments a challenge. Just make sure to medicate before you leave, take your ice machine with you and take meds with you for the trip back. Try to get as comfortable as possible, and maybe take some headphones or a book to read to take your mind off of things. I'm scheduled to get my other knee done on June 16th, so I'll be right back there where you are in a few weeks. I still have my husband drive me to appointments even 6 months later because sitting in a car for that length of time is still hard of my new knee. I can drive around town just fine, just those long drives are a challenge. Of course, we are always running late due to all the road construction so making frequent stops usually is not an option.
 
I agree @Gigi32 , a good surgeon is worth the drive. That's how I feel too and I thankful my husband is willing to drive. And yes, pain meds and ice machine are an absolute necessity on the road there and back.

Roxie
 
Agree @Kansas Teacher. I had a PT group a mile from my house, but after 2nd surgery I went to the group associated with my Ortho, 8 miles away and through traffic congestion. Not nearly as far as you, though!
 
Back
Top Bottom