Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

So, my marathon day is about to start. PT at 8 then 3 hours down the road to see my OS and get my stitches out . Yay. Then three hours back home. Not so yay. I'm going to be ready to rest tomorrow.

Roxie
 
YAY on getting the stitches out. The in house PT took my staples out. It was a tugging sensation.... But I didn't watch.

First PT session for me today...I'm a little nervous!
 
Good luck @tigz . I am in the backseat of my car with pillows and my ice machine headed for Kansas City. ROM today was 108 and straight leg was at 0. I'd hoped for more but the PT assured me it was very good.
 
I was 0 and 108 at home PT discharge. Getting the staples out was the most painful part for me so far. Hoping you fare better on this marathon than you fear. Rest tomorrow will help.

Starting outpatient PT today. We'll see how that goes.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Congrats on a great follow up report!! Keep up your good work!!! Yep.....getting rid of those darn staples is a great thing and a significant "mile marker" in the recovery process....
 
Doesn't it feel better without the staples? Can you shower? Don't push yourself tomorro, you're probably going to be exhausted.
 
I actually have had a waterproof bandage on it since I got home from the hospital. That made it possible for me to shower from the day I got home. We are just pulling back in to Wichita now. I've napped some in the car so don't feel too bad. The rainy dreary weather helped. Oh yes, I have wheels again now too. Whoo hoo!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we went to bed early -- for us -- last night and I slept reasonably well. I've finally migrated from the recliner into the bed and it's helped some. I still run the ice machine quite a bit at night and off and on a great deal during the day. I still have quite a bit of swelling which, I think, is preventing my flexion from improving more than the 108 it's currently at. Other than icing and elevating, which I'm doing a lot of, are there any other tips for getting rid of the swelling. I asked the nurse, the resident and the OS all three separately about the swelling and they all three gave the same answer -- it's normal, it's just going to take time, just ice and elevate as much as you possibly can. It's just such a weird feeling to have the swelling inhibit my movement so much -- I hate it.

Nothing on the agenda today -- thankfully so it will mostly be a day of rest and recovery. My husband is at a friend's house working on a wood-working project and I think he's going to take off tomorrow for a day or two to visit his mother. I am cleared to drive now short distances and PT is just down the street so I can get myself there tomorrow with no problem. He's been a great help and now that I'm doing better, I'd like to see him have a break too -- although, just between you and me, I'm not sure visiting his Mom is much of a break. Whoa, did I say that?

Have a great day, all.

Roxie
 
I asked the nurse, the resident and the OS all three separately about the swelling and they all three gave the same answer -- it's normal, it's just going to take time, just ice and elevate as much as you possibly can.
You are doing all of the right things---icing, elevating, and resting---there is really nothing you can do to speed things up---your knee is in charge and the swelling will go down in due time---on the knee's schedule.

It is indeed frustrating, but everybody has their own schedule, as dictated by the surgical knee.

Patience.....
 
The PT gave me a sleeve to wear over my knee to hopefully help with the swelling.
 
Back
Top Bottom