TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Isn't it amazing what nice weather can do for your mood? This is the best time of the year to do this, IMO. I think recuperating in the winter and being stuck inside would drive me nuts! (I'm in Maryland.)
 
My iceman machine quit in the night -- apparently the motor burned out. I woke up with my knee hurting. I took another pain pill but wasn't able to get comfortable most of the night. Unfortunately, it probably made for the roughest night I've had since the surgery two weeks ago. It makes me feel like I'm going backwards! So, my sweet husband is trying to come up with another one.

The weather is supposed to be a bit dicey here in Kansas today too and we have a good chance of severe storms meaning heavy thunderstorms, possible hail and tornadoes, etc. We do need rain but I wish we didn't have to have all the rest along with it. If you are expecting storms today, stay safe!

Roxie
 
Have you been sleeping with the machine since you've gotten home (ok, that sounds a little odd phrasing it that way :-) )? I haven't used mine at night at all, just during the day.
 
Yes, @tigz , I have been "snuggling" with my machine off and on most nights. I run it for awhile then if I wake up, I'll turn it off for awhile, then back on when I wake up again, etc. I seem to sleep so much better with it on.

Roxie
 
Sorry to read about the ice machine giving up the ghost. In a pinch, you can use a bag (or bags) of frozen peas.

What do you plan on doing to replace the ice machine?
 
Bummer. I found a new one online but it was prescription only. :(


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Well, we already looked on Craig's List and found one for $40 which is fine, as long as it works. Russ is supposed to get with the guy later this morning to check it out and buy it. I just don't see myself doing without one for some time yet -- I'm only two weeks out!

I do have some frozen ice bags using a recipe the orthopedic center gave me so am using those right now and things seems to be settling back down. 3 parts water to 1 part rubbing alcohol double bagged and frozen makes kind of a malleable slushy ice pack which forms nicely over my knee. Unfortunately, they don't last like the ice machine does but do work well in a pinch. I've been using them to ice the underside of my knee since the ice machine cuff didn't really wrap around the underside. They feel good!

Have a great Saturday!

Roxie
 
I have heard of folks that sleep with theirs in other post. I generally ice for an hour before bed. The cryo cuff gets in the way, so I like getting rid of it once in bed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I suppose it's kind of what you get used to. I just iced at night from the very beginning and then when it didn't work, it made it hard to sleep!
 
I do a couple rounds with the cryo-cuff right before bed, too.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Russ got the ice machine from the guy off of Craig's List. It's home now and I'm icing since I just did some exercises and a bit of walking. It appears to be working so we'll see how long it holds up. If it will just get me past another two weeks or so, I figure I can probably get by with just regular ice packs by then. Crisis averted!

Roxie
 
Glad to hear you have a new to you ice machine, I do not know what I would have done with out mine this early.
:chillpill:
 
You are doing so good :snork: I'm hanging in there. Go to my Doctor Monday and I think I'll even feel better just getting to talk to him. I already know I will be getting my right knee done. He said in about 3 months. I'll be looking for a ice machine also.
 
@Bilbo, I definitely recommend the ice machine. It has been a blessing and I'm glad I didn't have to try it without one. I see my OS on Tuesday so it will be good for both of us to hear directly from them how we are doing. One thing I do know is that I want to have the second one done without waiting as long as I did this time. I waited so long that I'm having to restretch some muscles out and am struggling with some tight IT bands and tendinitis related to limping so long on it. Recovery is coming along nicely -- I just wish I didn't have to deal with these other issues too. Worst thing about it is that my hubby can say, "I told you so," and he'd be right. He'd been after me to seek a second opinion for almost a year before I did. I was just so sick of dealing with it that I just lived with it for way longer than I should have. Nothing worse than putting yourself in a position where your husband can legitimately tell you, "I told you so!" :loll:
 
I need to have mine done, but it's not as bad as my right was. My OS said I could wait on the other one for many years. He wants me to get mobile so I can loose more weight and get back in shape. Both I have wanted to do, but the knee prevented any significant gains. Did you see any weight loss after your surgery. If so, it's a nice bonus.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, @wberry , it's only been a couple weeks but I have lost 5 pounds or so. I just don't have a great appetite right now. Maybe more will come off in time.

Roie
 
It poured buckets today but, thankfully, no tornadoes or hail yet. I do think we have more storms coming in before the night is over so hopefully it will be more of the same. Our son, his wife and their two kids (age 9 and 5) came over to celebrate my husband's birthday today. It's always nice to spend a couple hours with them. Tomorrow we are driving about 1 1/2 hours to meet my sister and her husband from Nebraska to pick up some hormone and antibiotic free locker beef from their ranch for both us and our son and his family. I debated whether to go along but think I will and just plug in the ice machine on the road and sit in the back seat. It will be nice to get out of the house and see my sister for a bit. I'm kind of getting those "this is never going to end" blues so need to shake up my routine a bit. We'll just stop once on the way up and once on the way back to get out and walk around a bit.

Roxie
 
Russ got the ice machine from the guy off of Craig's List. It's home now and I'm icing since I just did some exercises and a bit of walking. It appears to be working so we'll see how long it holds up.
I was just thinking about a play that I taught in American Literature Honors---it applied to your situation last night. It was by Eugene O'Neil and it was called, "The Iceman Cometh."

(Sorry---I just couldn't resist...):snork::snork:
 
Enjoy your road trip. After my second surgery I the had the blues so bad, I was seeing my OS twice a week, we'd go out for lunch after each appt. and I was no worse for wear if I sat in a booth and put my leg up. It had been 8 weeks since I'd gone anywhere besides a dr or PT appt., I get that you need to get out of the house. If it ever stops raining in Kansas you could just sit out in your deck or porch with the ice man. : )
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom