Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Thanks @Pumpkln . I will keep an eye on the mini squats and see how I respond to those. I will definitely stop if it causes any pain whatsoever.

My husband and I have decided to find a different doctor. We've been talking about it anyway since we moved to the other side of town. And, her failure to work with my OS on refilling my pain meds isn't the first time I've had a similar issue. A year or two ago, we were getting ready to go out of town on vacation and I realized I could potentially run out of my blood pressure meds before I got back. I called my doctor to get a refill. She refused saying she needed to see me again first. I explained to her that I only needed a few pills as insurance in case I ran out on vacation and that I would make an appointment for as soon as I came back into town. She still refused. My feeling was that bp medication was nothing to mess around with. At that time, I felt like maybe we should go ahead and change but we'd had such a long relationship with her, we decided to give it a bit more time. Now this has happened but we're not sticking around this time.

Roxie
 
It is sad when you have to change Dr's due to lack of responsiveness and being treated like a cog in a wheel and not and individual. My pharmacy will give me a few pill if I run out, except narcotics of course.
Glad your OS was so responsive, and is getting the script to you.
 
@Kansas Teacher I haven't taken anything for pain since last March. Just last month I took an Aleve for a headache. I was popping one of those every day before my surgery. I still have oxycodone left from last year! I should probably flush them. But when we saw what my sister came home from the pharmacy with and how she had to sign her life away we joked that we could go downtown and trade all the narcotics for a new car! But then I was given more oxy after my second surgery! That pain wasn't quite as bad and I really only took it once or twice a day while in the hospital and then when I began to bend my knee after a month of keeping it straight. I had never had surgery or taken anything stronger than Aleve in my life!

I'm relieved theyre overnighting your new script!
 
@KarriB , like you, I've never been much of a medication taker either. Ibuprofen mainly -- and the above-mentioned bp medicine. That's what's made this whole thing so ridiculous -- I feel like some kind of a junkie or something trig to get my percocet. Relieved to have an OS who actually recognizes that pain meds are still necessary 10 days post surgery!

Roxie
 
As for the mini-squats, I was reading and thinking, no one ever had me do those. I did PT for 8 weeks! Then I realized I did them on a computierized game! I laid on a board/mat and had to push up and down to keep from popping computerized balls or knocking over walls. My knees were pushing up and down with weights. I never even thought I was doing squats, I was so concentrating on keeping the walls and balls intact! My PT group is pretty savvy!
 
@Kansas Teacher I, too, was worried at the beginning about the pain meds and was very careful. But a friend who had had TKR told me I had to keep ahead of the pain, so I listened to her. My dad had two TKRs 15 years apart and only ever took Tylenol!
 
Boy boy oh boy. I hope I'm that good in 5 more days. LOL I know everyone is different and I will listen to my knees. I know you have got to be pleased.
 
Wow, @KarriB , your Dad was tough to survive two of these with only Tylenol. I'm impressed and I'm NOT that tough! I think that is true about staying ahead of the pain. That's why I was so concerned about running out -- overall, I think my pain has been relatively good but that doesn't mean that it never hurts. And it's hard to sleep and relax when you're in pain. I know the OS did not want me to run out and seems to have gone to great lengths to make sure I don't.

@Bilbo , I had no idea what to expect. So far so good but there are so many factors that go into a recovery, it's hard to predict! Heck, in 5 days, you could be leaps and bounds ahead of me! You've got this and I figure that if we both just keep putting one foot in front of the other, we'll eventually end up somewhere further along than where we started!

Roxie
 
I've been doing just Tylenol since Friday. I'm feeling okay, but I also have a sense that the Tylenol is just barely doing the job. I'm considering adding an Aleve in the mornings if I need an augmentation. I also still have enough hydrocodone if necessary, but I want to still be able to drive, so I'm holding off on that unless I have serious discomfort.

My vet prescribed Tramadol for my cat today. No. I'm not going to take my cat's pain medication. If, once I start outpatient PT (still waiting to hear from them), I find the Tylenol isn't working, I'll talk to my OS and see what options there are that will still allow me to drive.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PolarBear60 , my Percocet prescription arrived from Kansas City this morning as promised. But they only gave me 30 tablets this time so I do need to start cutting back although I see the OS for a follow-up next Tuesday and could probably talk to him about it if I feel I still need something pretty strong.

I want to drive too. I was thinking for now about alternating Tylenol and percocet and see how that goes. Does that sound reasonable? I could try a nsaid too.

Roxie
 
Sounds reasonable to me. When I switched to Tylenol, I made sure I had plenty of Hydrocodone in case I wasn't ready. My OS is a 40 minute drive away, though, so adjustments will be much easier for me than you. Your plan may give you a good feel for what types of pain relief you need to discuss as your appointment, helping you to get the right solution for you. Non-narcotic solutions can be called or faxed, making management easier.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PolarBear60 , what is the limit on Tylenol that one can take in a day? The Percocet already has 325 mg. of Tylenol in it and, if I alternate that with Tylenol, I don't want to get too much. Just trying to figure out how much Tylenol I can take by itself. Thanks!

Roxie
 
Boy boy oh boy. I hope I'm that good in 5 more days. LOL I know everyone is different and I will listen to my knees. I know you have got to be pleased.

I had no idea what to expect. So far so good but there are so many factors that go into a recovery, it's hard to predict! Heck, in 5 days, you could be leaps and bounds ahead of me!
IT is very, very hard to do, but I had to learn to stop comparing myself to others---as there is always somebody who will recover faster and easier.

We all recover at different speeds and in different ways.

What is important is that we recover---in the end, we will all get to that destination. It is like traffic on a highway, though---we all get there---just some are sooner and some are later than others...
 
The absolute max on Tylenol is 4000 mg -- exceed that, and they make it sound like you're definitely having liver damage. The max on the bottle is 3000 mg. (I'm taking 1,000 in the morning, 1,000 at 2:00pm, and 1,000 at bedtime) I will not be taking the 4,000. If the 3,000 isn't enough, I'll augment or replace with something else.

You should be able to safely blend the Percocet, but I wouldn't know what to suggest.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
what is the limit on Tylenol that one can take in a day? The Percocet already has 325 mg. of Tylenol in it and, if I alternate that with Tylenol, I don't want to get too much. Just trying to figure out how much Tylenol I can take by itself. Thanks!

The absolute max on Tylenol is 4000 mg -- exceed that, and they make it sound like you're definitely having liver damage. The max on the bottle is 3000 mg. (I'm taking 1,000 in the morning, 1,000 at 2:00pm, and 1,000 at bedtime) I will not be taking the 4,000. If the 3,000 isn't enough, I'll augment or replace with something else.

You should be able to safely blend the Percocet, but I wouldn't know what to suggest.
PolarBear is correct. The maximum dose is 4,000 mg (4G) in 24 hours.
The reason why 3,000 mg was recommended in the US is because so many other drugs also contain Tylenol. Not everyone is as careful at looking for the contents of medications as you are, Kansas Teacher.

I think you should discuss with your doctor a plan for stepping down the drugs. Tramadol is a useful step-down drug, too.
Certainly, as you are aware, you shouldn't drive while you are taking strong narcotics.
 
I think for now, I'm going to just keep it simple and take one percocet every 6 hours and use ibuprofen for break-through pain. Fingers crossed that will do it!
 
Well, throw the ibuprofen idea out. My daughter (who you'll recall is a friend of the surgeon) spoke with him and he said no nsaids for 30 days after surgery. So I can either spread my percocet out to 1 every 6 hours which will last me until my appointment next Tuesday when I can talk to him again about it or use tylenol and add percocet before pt, at night and for break-through pain. What do you all think? I wish they were a little more specific about what they want you to do!

Roxie
 
If each percoset has 325 mg of Tylenol and you take 4 per day, that's a total of 1300 mg of Tylenol per day, just from percoset. If you took an Extra Strength (500mg) Tylenol tablet with each percoset, that would be another 2000 mg of Tylenol each day. That would bring your total Tylenol to 3300 mg per day. If you took 2 Extra Strength Tylenol tablets at bedtime, instead of just 1, that would be another 500 mg, bringing you to 3800 mg Tylenol for the day.

I'm thinking of a schedule like this:
Breakfast: 1 percoset, 1 Tylenol (500 mg)
Lunch: 1 percoset, 1 Tylenol
Supper: 1 percoset, 1 Tylenol
Bedtime: 1 percoset, 2 Tylenol

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
You can use the Tylenol, but you are going to have to watch the milligrams of Tylenol you're getting in a 24 hour period since Percocet has Tylenol in it also. Did you ask about tramadol? I don't think you need a written prescription for that, and he could call that into your pharmacy. Others have found that to be a good addition to use with Percocet.
 
Back
Top Bottom