Guest viewing is limited

MUA Getting Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diana,
Thanks for thinking of me. I'm just going to try and relax until I see my OS next Thursday because I feel I don't know what is going on with my knee and I don't know what is normal or to be expected in this recovery any more. My knee hurts when it is touched, it hurts when I walk and I can't get beyond 60 and I just feel I should be further advanced at this stage. It all just gets me down so I am going to try and follow the mantra until I get advice from my surgeon. I told myself I wasn't going to whine on here any more .... and here I am doing it again :)

I am keeping up to date with your thread and I am so pleased you are doing well and thinking about returning to work. Well done! :SUNsmile:
 
Dear horseylady,
Your not whining...I think it' s a good idea to follow the mantra, until you see your o.s :)
Have you been to visit your horsey babies ? I know how happy that makes you :SUNsmile:
Have a peaceful, relaxing weekend
Diana :console2:
 
HorseyLady
Sorry to hear about your level of pain - and no - you are not whining as we are all going through the same thing on here and we all have tough times recovering from this surgery.

I think it is a good idea to have your knee assessed by the OS as you have worked hard and tried everything but even the modest progress you made in the begining has stalled for several weeks so I thing you need to find out what is going on.

I also have a knee that is very painful to the touch so that I have to wear baggy clothes. It is worse when the knee is swollen and I think it is the cut nerves

But take care and rest this weekend and hope that your OS can find a solution to your problems
:friends:
 
So sorry for you pain and frustration. As others have said try to be patient the knee is in charge. When you feel down. Stop and think about what really happened to your knee. It was huge and your body is saying what the heck just happened! Hang in there.
Ps we are all happy to encourage one another its what keeps us motivated
 
Thanks for understanding new knee in June and puffin and My knee Charlie :yes:

I am seeing my OS on Thursday so not long to wait. I am trying to be patient with my knee - continuing with the CPM and have managed to get to 62, so a very small amount of progress there, but still only 58 under my own steam. Our weather has been lovely so I am wearing shorts so that nothing touches my knee but if I go out I wear soft jogging trousers as I can't wear anything hard either :boohoo:

Yes I have been to see my horses today and I had a lovely time cuddling them. Normally just my oldie wants to cuddle and my youngster wants to graze but today they were both so affectionate. I am sure they realise how fed up I am. They are both so interested in my leg and want to lick it (I don't let them!) but its as if they want to heal me. Being around them relaxes me, I cannot express how much pleasure they bring me and how sensitive they are. They say horses heal the soul and it is so true :puppysmooze:

Hope you all have a lovely weekend and I so appreciate your support :thankyou:
 
Glad you got out to see your ponies. I find creatures of all sizes help in the mental aspect of healing. Please keep us informed about what your OS says. I hope it's all great news for you!
 
The Hospital Rehab team visited today. Measured my flexion ....49! I am going backwards it seems. I told them I was getting 65 on the CPM and they said that wasn't a true measurement :what: Examined my leg and tried to do some painful scar massage which I made them stop :sos:

They have written a long note for me to take to my OS appointment tomorrow although I am thinking of not taking it :shocked: Basically it tells him that I have a hard restrictive "block" that is stopping bending progress and to prescribe something stronger and maybe for muscle and nerve pain also because without that they cannot get any further with me - and that they recommend a MUA.

I went to see my horses for some much needed cuddles but just when I got to the field the heavens opened and we had thunder, lightening and teaming rain. The field entrance quickly turned to running mud and not safe for someone with a crutch :hairpulling: as the last thing I need is to fall over. So fed them and had a quick and very wet cuddle and that was it.

So ... not a good day really - but see OS tomorrow and I am hoping for some answers.
 
Alison, So sorry you haven't had a good day today. I can see why you wouldn't want to take the letter to your OS. Maybe put it in your bag and if you change your mind its there for you. ROM is such an issue with TKRs. If I hadn't come on this forum tho I wouldn't have a clue what the correct ROM was or what those letters stood for. My physio was terrible and they discharged me far too early. Consequently my flexion has suffered. Last time I went to my advanced physio it was 97 but that was almost ten months post op. I think the best exercise I get now is day to day living, walking a lot, up and down stairs etc. When Ive been busy during the day I don't go on the bike or do any exercises. If I do too much my knee still swells. I hope you have a successful visit with your OS. Sending you warmest hugs. Please let us know how you get on. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Dear Allison,
So sorry to hear about your therapy hurting you :console2: this has not been an easy recovery for you
That's for sure.
I would give your os that paper, he needs it for a diagnosis,to fit the pieces together.
:angel: you & your doctor come to a conclusion & you get the results you deserve to feel better.
Thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
 
Thanks for your support robynhood and new knee in June

Pat, really sorry to hear you are still having difficulties. It certainly sounds like they discharged you too early. Everyone I have met - my OS, PTs, hospital nurses and the Rehab team are obsessed with numbers and ROM and they all seem determined to get me there. I have to admit, whilst I don't like the pushing, the home Rehab team have been excellent and are trying everything including cpm, acupuncture etc.

I have been to the OS today and he thinks I definitely need help from him to get things moving. I have signed the consent form for a MUA and plus/minus arthroscopic excision of scar tissue. He wants this done "soon" although I have to wait for his secretary to call me with a date plus have the preop assessment again so at the moment I don't know when this will be, probably a few weeks away at least :yes: He wants to do it as an in patient procedure so I can go on the cpm machine afterwards, probably overnight :yikes:

As for getting more painkillers, he didn't prescribe anything but said I should see the Pain Management Team when I am in hospital again to discuss options.

Disappointed to have more surgery but I am determined to get a good result from my TKR and get back to riding. I did not go through all this to be left disabled - which to be honest, a ROM of 50 makes me because I can't walk properly, do stairs etc. etc :headbang: plus I am concerned about my gait and the effect on my back and hips.

I know there are pluses and minuses of having a MUA and I have read all the information on here plus the studies, but I have tried 2 weeks of doing nothing and while this makes me happy and my knee relaxed, my ROM does not improve so I really feel this is the right decision for me?

:thankyou:
 
Hi Alison, sorry to hear about your MUA. i agree with you. You can only go on your OS advice. I wouldnt like to go thru a major op and not get the best results possible. I feel for you tho. One op is enough. I know talking to KathyH she never regretted having the MUA. She did improve and is still improving like most of us. This is quite some journey isnt it and its nice to have a little help and friendship along the way. I hope you dont have to wait too long for it. Hugs x
 
Dear Allison,
I am not a doctor (this is just my opinion) :) you my dear, have tried everything to get a good bend.
I agree with you , you didn't come all this way to be disabled :hissy: your doctor seems to think he can help.
Some folks have great results from mua, & I hope they will post to you.
I hope you are happy with your decision :)
We want to see you riding your horses soon :SUNsmile:
Thinking of you,
Diana :friends:
 
Hi puffin

Looks like our messages crossed as I have just posted the outcome of my OS appointment today. I have agreed to have a MUA! You can see my full post a few messages back if you want the details :)

Not sure if this is the right decision or not, to be honest I feel a bit up and down this evening but hopefully I will come round to the idea soon. I am not making progress so this should give me a kick start!

Hope you're having a good day :SUNsmile:
 
Sorry to hear that you have to have more surgery after all of your efforts - it has to be a blow. However you have worked really hard yet not got better than a 50-60 most of the time which as you say in your post does not really let you live a normal life. So if your OS thinks he can get you a better result from this perhaps it is time to try this - but I really understand how hard this is. :friends:

There are several posters on here who have achieved much better results after a MUA so perhaps you should check out some of their threads - the ones marked MUA in the title. Many managed to get well over 100 post MUA. I really hope that this works for you and that your recovery can get going
 
HorseyLady
I deleted my post as I started it around 2 hours ago and then my husband came home from work and I finished and sent it before I saw your new post - so I posted a new message

I understand what a tough decision it must be to go for a MUA after all of your hard work - but given that your ROM has never really got much above 60 perhaps this is an option that you need to try. Really hope you get good results :kittykiss:
 
Good morning Allison,
How are you feeling today ? Good I hope :) did you get a date yet for mua? I hope you don't have
To wait to long....we want to see you recovering....soon.
Have you visited your horses lately ? They make you so happy, it's worth the visit :puppysmooze:
They should have a horse icon :heehee:
Have a nice weekend :SUNsmile:
Thinking of you,
Diana :friends:
 
Hi Diana. I am feeling good today but will be even better when I get a date! Nothing from the hospital on Friday so I am hoping I will hear something soon. I got the impression it needs to be done quickly so fingers crossed :)

I have seen my horses today and I had lots of cuddles. You're right, being around them makes me really happy :puppysmooze: and I wish I could spend longer with them. My dream would be to have a house with land - so they could be with me at home and I could see them from the window.

Thanks for thinking of me :thankyou:
 
Hello Allison,
I am so happy you had a great day :SUNsmile: every time I Hear you talking about your horses,
It puts a smile on my face :) please keep me up-dated on your app.
I truly can see you riding in my minds eye.....what a beautiful sight it is!
I am thinking of you always,
:angel: for your recovery,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom