MUA Getting Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alison. This is not a race. Just ICE AND ELEVATE YOUR KNEE 1 This is the absoslute best place for advice. Honest. Don't let anyone push you or hurt you. You are in CONTRIOL.(Well actually your knee is) Most OS have never had their knees replaced. I was so depressed I cried for the first 2 months everyday totally depressed. Thank God I found this site. Josephine is an Angel. Will your regular MD give you pain meds. You really need them to get through this. I tried to cut back and was still in terrible pain crying all the time. My poor husband was beside hisself. I do know this much. We who are on this site and have gone through the surgery understand your pain and suffering. Shame on these doctors! PLEASE know that you cannot bend a knee that is swollen and tissue damaged. just keep icing it and elevate it ( Make sure you elevate it above your heart lying flat is best.) This is going to take some time don't try to rush it. It is what it is ! Sending Love and prayers for a speedy healing and PATIENCE
 
Hi Alison. Wow I have just read all through your thread. You've really been through the mill haven't you? No wonder you have such awful tearful times. I'm pleased that people on here have been so helpful and supportive. It's a great forum isn't it? I am feeling much better after a couple of slower days doing the ice and elevate regime. My swelling is starting to reduce although I can still feel the tightness if I overdo the walking. My ROM is still at about 90 and doesn't change much from day to day. I'm hoping that once the swelling goes right down things will improve. It must be confusing for you getting such conflicting advice from everyone. The way I look at it now is that people on here have actually been through the procedure and so must know what they are talking about. I'm happy to follow their advice.
I really hope you continue to make progress at the pace your knee is happy with. Keep up the good work :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks bottomshollow I am sure this is the reason why I can't bend. My leg is still swollen and hot to touch at nearly 4 weeks out and I was measured today at 58 - this was with pushing to the point of discomfort. I am being threatened with MUA but as the article says, its probably not adhesions as I couldn't bend in hospital on Day 1 and I don't think they could have formed by then!
I just wish the Rehab team from the hospital, my own PT and even my OS would understand this because I am constantly being told by everyone that I need to continuously be doing hanging flexions and pushing beyond the pain to get my ROM. I had tears today because of aggressive tissue massage :tantrum: which was so embarrassing but I just couldn't help it. He stopped when I asked but I was beyond the point of no return :boohoo:

I read all the information about ROM and it all makes sense to me but I am just so worried that I will stay like this and freeze up entirely if I stop all PT. I am resting, elevating and icing but I don't seem to be improving much. And I keep crying all the time which I understand why but when does it stop??? I hate feeling this and I just seem to hate everyone with normal legs at the moment, particularly those who ride their horses :sos:
 
Dear horsey lady,
Sorry you are having such a hard time :console2: it's very hard to be up-beat when you see no progress.
Are you on the right meds, swelling is pain, & pain will lead to depression :sorry: also,
Ask your doctor if you can take 1 week off from p.t & just ice, elevate, pain meds on time, gentle strtching :SUNsmile:
He said your knee was fine & no infection, so your mission in life is to get that swelling down :ok: you also
Need some fun in your life.....could you possibly visit with your beloved horses, paint your finger nails, order
Out from your favorite restaurant...all these things will make you feel better :SUNsmile:
I will keep checking on you during the day...
My best to you,
Diana :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Getting Back in the Saddle
Very good advice from Diana. You need time off from anything but gentle stretching and bending that you can do on your own and what walking is absolutely necessary. The rest of the time you need to be resting, elevating (toes above nose or higher) and icing, icing, and icing some more. A full week of this will probably allow you to see a significant decrease in swelling and an increase in ability to bend.


However, if you do this and get good results and go right back to the same aggressive PT, you're going to be right back in the same boat.

Please follow the BoneSmart mantra:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

It works---tons of us here on the forum know for a fact that it works from our own personal experience. If it didn't work, we wouldn't be begging you to follow it.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I was just reading on another thread that you had bruises that looked like finger prints. Me too. Found them on my lower leg. I guess it's not surprising as this is not a gentle operation. I also have a lot of discomfort in my thighs. It is plainly from the tourniquets. This became clear when the bruising popped out days after my op.Perfect bands on both thighs.:yikes:
Wanda
 
HorseyLady
So sorry that you are still having problems - I think that your ROM will improve as the bruising and swelling goes down but I understand your frustrations with the process. I am feeling much the same owing to my lack of walking ability at the moment
 
Well Ive taken everyone's advice. No bending exercises today .... at all!! :dancy: Just some very gentle walking and stretching - otherwise reading and elevating and icing. I managed a short visit to my beautiful horses this afternoon - just sat in my chair watching them graze together in the sunshine and gave some carrots and cuddles. They are so good for my soul :puppysmooze:. The drive is uncomfortable, even though my car is automatic and its my left leg and doing nothing, just the pressure causes aching. But it is worth it for the great emotional pick-me-up that I get from being around them.
Back icing now and following the mantra :angel:
 
Horsey lady,
So glad you got to see your babies :) when you said they were both grazing in the sun,
My heart just melted...so good for your soul. Now, ice, elevate,pain meds. On time...
& gentle stretching only :ok:
Thinking of you.....hugs,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
The Rehab team came to my house today to check on my progress. A different PT this time and I did not like her very much :cry:Here are a few of her "motivational" comments - "You are not getting anywhere" "Your pain is not controlled" "You should be doing hanging flexions plus towel stretches on the bed at least every hour and you need to push far harder through the pain" "Forget the pain, you need to dig your knuckles into that swelling and break it down" "It is going to take you a long time to progress at this rate".
I was measured at 50 but managed to get to 58 after she pushed me so at least they went away pleased. But I wasn't - just felt like rubbish :yikes: I refuse to administer aggressive massage on my poor swollen and still hot knee!

So this afternoon ...... I ignored her completely and iced and elevated and did NOT do any hanging flexions or towel stretches :)


Am I getting this wrong or completely misunderstanding everything here? Is everyone else on here drugged to the eyeballs so they feel no pain whatsoever and pushing hard on their knee to make it bend? My pain is controlled enough for my day to day living and walking and stretching - but it is not enough to cope with hard massage and hard pushing - they hurt too much. Should I have more painkillers so I can push harder? I am taking 2 paracetamol (500mg each) plus 1 Tramadol (50mg) at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then before I go to bed I have the same plus an additional Tramadol and 400mg Ibuprofen. This means I get through the night comfortably and don't need anything else until breakfast.

Josephine should I change this in any way? Should I add more Tramadol? I read on one of your threads that you were taking 3?

Hey ho, this journey is certainly a roller coaster of ups and downs! :gaah:
 
Sounds like you have it right. I'm only doing the gentle stuff. Feeling a little better every day and still no swelling.I did start hanging my legs from the bed today and it wasn't too bad. The pt you had today was a real angel!:headbang: . Wow! She seems to have her knickers in a twist. Was she trying to impress someone on the team with her knowledge and compassion.
Wanda
 
Ignore her. It's patently obvious she doesn't know what she's talking about. Perhaps she trained in the US! :snork:
I am taking 2 paracetamol (500mg each) plus 1 Tramadol (50mg) at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then before I go to bed I have the same plus an additional Tramadol and 400mg Ibuprofen.
You're only 4 weeks out and this is all you are taking?

Here's my drug sheet - see what I was taking in week 4!
And I think you need more like weeks 2 or 3 as I had my pain under control ....
[Bonesmart.org] Getting Back in the Saddle
 
I can't believe how tactless some PT's can be!! Talk about bringing someone's spirit down. Don't let them bully you dearheart. And as far as hangin flexes..no way I would put that knee through that at this stage.

Maybe the gentle towel stretches, but not excessively. Believe me, I know about the swelling..it interferes with everything we try to do, and until it comes down, we are just aggravating the tissue more, and causing a vicious circle.

Please don't let them bring you down..do the best for YOU, and take your time.

If all else fails, talk to your surgeon if you truely feel something is wrong.
 
Wow - the rehab team did not exactly go to charm school did they? I think that pushing your knee beyond disconfort is only going to make it swell more
 
Well I had a fantastic sleep last night. 11.30pm to 7.30 am with NO getting up in the night or waking up in pain. My leg is very stiff this morning as I don't think it moved at all in the night - but much less painful. I was able to get dressed and showered and have breakfast before taking my meds. This is progress :yay:
 
That's wonderful! There's nothing better than a good nights sleep. I'm pleased you are having less pain too!!
 
Thank goodness you had a good nights sleep. I would think you needed it after your experience with that awful PT. how do they sleep at night is the question. Hope youre still taking it easy and enjoying this wonderful weather. Forget about all the exercises apart from the gentle ones till the swelling goes. Take Care.
 
:yay: So glad that you had a good night's sleep - it makes everything so much better and more managable when the pain is under control
 
Dear horseylady,
Bravo on your :sleep: doesn't it feel great :yahoo: not everyone is drugged up to their :rolleyes: I do a half pain
Pill before pt, eat something light (banana) & lots of water. Your pt sounds
:headbang: you need to set them straight....if everyone is so concerned about your rom, make an app.
With your surgeon & see what he recommends. Look for another pt. & write a letter about all the comments
Your pt. have been telling you.
I heard on another thread you saw your babies again today & are on one crutch. :happydance:
Hugs :friends:
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom