MUA Getting Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today the Rehab team came bearing gifts :) A CPM machine which I can use for 4 weeks. They measured my flexion first under my own strength and it was a paltry 52! Eeeek I am going backwards!!!! They then demonstrated the machine and got me set up. I got to 58. I did another hour and a half this evening but still only got to 58 without the pain being too much. At 58 it was uncomfortable and "ouchy" so I didn't go too far as it was the first time. The PT told me I should set it so I am screaming ..... errr NO :yikes:

Now my knee is very hot so I am guessing it does not like the CPM machine :headbang: So its back to ice and elevation for the rest of the evening. Another session tomorrow :tantrum:
 
What a journey ! I hope you can keep your spirits up with help of these boards. It sounds like you are coming around to the bonesmart way. I am told patience is key since I am only 8 days out. I am no expert
 
Dear Allison,
When I was using c.p.m machine, I was icing at the same time, it also elevates your leg :)
I felt like I was getting 3 bone smart mantras at 1 time....I also would fall asleep in it :sleep:
Some folks don't like them...but I was so comfortable..&feel it did help with rom.
But, I didn't have much swelling to begin with.
Your job is to get your swelling down, then rom will come. :)
Don't let p.t tell you any different :headbang:
Have a peaceful, relaxing day
Diana :friends:
 
Thanks Diana. How long did you stay on for? Did you use it several times a day? And did your knee get swollen or hot after using it? Also, if you fell asleep, I am assuming you didn't have it set to make you scream :yikes:
You have a nice relaxing day :)
 
Dear Allison,
No I didn't have it set to :yikes: I had it for a month 3 times a day for 1-2 hours at a time. As the numbers
Went up I did cry a few times after the first bends,but did settle in after that. Sometimes I only did 2 times a day.
I did have my ice machine on & was icing while I was on the cpm.
Maybe this would help with pain & swelling while using it.
My p.t would tell me when to go up on the numbers.....only 1 or 2 a day. When I asked her if I could go back on the numbers
She said, " never only go forward"
Good luck with the machine.....let me know if it helps you.
Are you still doing gentle stretching?
All my best,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Hope that the CPM gives you some progress with your ROM
:friends:
 
Hello Allison,
How are you? Just thinking of you & hoping all is well :friends:
All my best,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Horseylady,
I hope the CPM machine helps your knee to feel better. From all that I can gleen about this surgery it takes time and patience to make headway. As horse people we think we should be able to get bucked off and get right back on again because we are darn tough! I have a friend who had her TKR 12 weeks ago and she got back on her horse today and Even tho she did nothing but walk it was a huge happy thing for her. Aren't you only 3-4 weeks out? You'll be back in the saddle before you know it with a strong leg and a knee that doesn't hurt.

Now let's talk about something that will make you forget your knee pain for a bit and get to what I really want to know. How many horses do you have? What kinds? What kind of riding do you do? :)
 
Hi muddy paws
Someone to talk horses with ....... excellent :happydance:
I have 2 horses. Muffin - he is 23 years old, Welsh Section D x Thoroughbred, 16.2hh Bay gelding. I retired him last year as he has arthritis in his hocks and a cataract in his eye but we love grooming and walking out in hand. And Ruben - he will be 4 years old on 25th July. He is a French Comtois x Gypsy Cob, currently 14.3hh but bum high so will probably grow to 15.1/15.2, skewbald gelding.
Really I just do hacking and trail riding now due to my knee problems. I used to ride Muffin in an English saddle but Ruben has been started in a Western saddle which is much better for my knee so I can ride with longer stirrups. I no longer have the desire to compete, jump or do showing - I just want a quiet life with them now and enjoy gentle riding but also groundwork such as horse agility.
Since my accident in 2010 I have had so many breaks from riding for various operations so I am desperate to ride again but yes, I am only 5 weeks out from TKR so it may be a while yet. I have just ordered a bareback pad for Ruben - ready for when I first start riding again :yay: I am desperate to get my ROM back because otherwise how am I going to get on??
Tell me all about you - do you have horses? What riding do you do? :bicycle1:
 
Hi new knee in June and puffin
The CPM machine ...... mmmmm - I don't know what to think really. I have managed to get to 60 (with pain!) so not a great deal of progress so far but it seems to aggravate my knee! I end up more swollen and hot. I am going to persevere with it because I am starting to get worried about my lack of flexion and I am scared my OS will be mentioning a MUA when I see him on 1st August :yikes:
I get some weird pains at the front of my knee after about 1 hour so that is the signal for me to stop as my knee has had enough. However, it does seem to make my knee feel less stiff so maybe it is helping? Diana - did you get any weird pains when you used yours? I am taking 2 paracetamol and 2 Tramadol an hour before using it so I am pretty medicated yet the pain gets through!
I am still doing gentle stretching and walking and have been using 1 cane in the house so things are progressing in other ways - it just seems the bending is the problem.
Still have a hard lump above knee so maybe its that causing the lack of ROM? My physio says my whole knee feels more solid and he thinks its scar tissue hardening up so guess thats not good news!
I feel happier in myself though and guess what, not cried for a couple of days :yay: so maybe the blues are over??

Thank you both for thinking of me - let me know how you are both doing :flwrysmile:
 
I still have a hard lump remaining from my hematoma even though it is getting smaller. I think it is affecting ROM as I still do not have full control over that section of muscle and it is also pretty numb.

The first week it was fist sized and stuck out - now it has flattened down and drawn together but is still 2-3 inches/5-8cm in diameter. It may be that it has become a fat necrosis cyst (a cyst filled with dead/dying fatty tissue). The OS warned me that fat necrosis is a risk if you have larger thighs. They can also take months to disappear (I had one last year on my breast)
 
Good morning Allison,
Good to hear from you :) I'm. Happy you have a new friend to talk about horses with....I could never keep up
( sounds like a foreign language to me) :rotfl: I am happy you haven't cried in a few days. You are doing the cpm
Correct if you have pain I would stop....especially if you are doing pain meds. Do you ice while you are on it?
I hope you don't have any of those knee problems, you were talking about :beg: I guess you will know August 1
I will say a :angel: that you have a normal out-come.
Have a great sunday :kittykiss:
Thinking of you.....
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Horseylady,
Hopefully they won't get mad if we talk horses. :hissy: I have six of the beasties much to my husbands chagrin. Shall I list them all? Sure, why not. I have Dina, a 28yr old Hanovarian mare , Shayna, a 26yr Arab mare,Payback a 23yr old TB mare, Celtie, a 20 yr old Irish Draught mare, her son, Cleggie(12) who is an Irish Sport Horse and lastly, I have Jeffery (7) who is an 18 hand Appaloosa gelding. Phew!

When I am sound I event, trail ride, hunt and just generally goof around. But since my wonderful right knee is going to be replaced at the end of August, I basically just hack on my old girl Peebs these days. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to go out into the woods with my dogs,running and playing, while I ride down the path. Quiet sun filled woods while the dogs chase the chippies = priceless!

I think it will be very weird the first time you try to get back on but after a few times it gets easier. Don't stress about your range of motion, it'll come back and when it does ,look out Rueben, your mommies BACK!!! :happydance:
 
Well I am persevering with the CPM machine and managing to stay on it for about an hour each session - twice a day. Yesterday I went backwards though - could only get to 55 at both sessions without really sharp pains in the joint :headbang:
I am feeling very low about all this, I had convinced myself that once I got going my ROM would improve. Unfortunately my knee seems just stuck and it really does not like this enforced bending :tantrum: It shows its displeasure by becoming even more stiff and achy afterwards :boohoo: My swelling is reducing apart from the hard lump but this still brings no improvement to ROM and I am always icing and elevating.
Just lay on the CPM and cried yesterday evening. I will be 6 weeks out on Thursday and it seems like those just out of surgery are doing better than me :sos:
 
Sorry to hear that you are having such a frustrating time with your ROM - I can see that it is making you very down.

Do you have a doctor or a nice PT who you could just approach for advice? Do you have access to warm water therapy? - this can sometimes encourage muscles to stretch. Prior to surgery I could bend much further in the warm water rehab pool than I could on "dry land". Some people have found that just prior to exercises heating packs rather than ice help as the ice might stiffen muscles. The current regime of pushing certain exercises does not appear to be getting results so perhaps it is time for some fresh ideas
 
Dear Allison,
So sorry to hear about how painful the cpm machine is for you :sorry: like I said before my p.t would change the settings
Daily, do you have a p.t come to your house & work with you?
I can feel your frustration :cry: we'll have to wait & see what your doctor says...
All my best to you....sorry you are so :sorry:
Take care,
Diana :console2:
 
Thanks new knee in June and puffin
The PT's aren't coming to my house for another 2 weeks because they have left instructions for me to use the CPM machine daily and then they will measure me in 2 weeks to check on progress. I go weekly to another PT at a sports injuries clinic who does some ultrasound and gentle bending with me. Other than that it is down to me each day to do my exercises, stretches, CPM and icing etc. I am seeing my OS on 1st August so guess I will have to wait and see what he says.
I am thinking about going to a local public swimming pool to do some exercises but will have to go in the warm childs pool :) as there is no rehab pool or hydrotherapy pool in my area. I just worry about picking up germs and infection! Plus the thought of driving there and coping with the crutch and the changing rooms, and the steps etc. is putting me off lol.
Sorry to be such a misery and keep whining on here :beg:No one else to moan to as everyone seems to think I should be recovered by now and don't understand why I can't just bend it or the pain that involves. They assume I don't do my exercises and this couldn't be further from the truth :tantrum:
 
Josephine do you know of any recovery threads I could read where someone had very poor ROM like me? I am nearly 6 weeks out and can barely get to 60. Have tried resting, no PT, ice etc. and now trying a CPM but still in pain and can't get much ROM back. The pain is deep inside the knee and is very sharp if it gets pushed.

Thanks for your help :thankyou:
 
First I have some questions to ask you:
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
7. what does your surgeon have to say about this 'poor' ROM?
8. when did you last reread your recovery articles in post #11?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom