Guest viewing is limited

MUA Getting Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Alison,
I'm glad to see you are doing better! Since the last time we "talked" I have had my knee done and like you I am trying to learn the patience it will take to get it it heal. The cheese commercial is great. I have been following your thread and I'm Sorry you had to have the MUA ,but it seems to have helped you get on the road to healing. :)

Now I am wondering if a CPM machine would help me like it has you. My OS sent me home with a bike like machine that I actually have to pedal 4x a day for 20 mins while hanging around in bed. Can you say torture?! Yikes! :hairpulling: The CPM machine sounds so much more humane and relaxing

I hope you have gotten out to see your horses. I can see mine from my windows, but i am still scheming on how to escape from my house to actually get down and touch them. Can't obviously drive or walk down but am wondering if I could hijack the riding lawnmower. :whistle: I believe just smelling them will help me heal. I'm sure you understand :wink:

Cheers. Jennifer

RTKR. 26/August/2013
Left knee. MCL/ meniscus 12/March/ 2013
 
Hi muddy paws Wow Jennifer, 20 minutes pedaling 4 times a day at 1 week seems like more than torture to me!
That seems like an awful lot at this point in your recovery.
My OS only wanted gentle stretching and bending for the first two or three weeks and didn't event send me to PT till I was 3 weeks post op.
Wanda
 
muddy paws Hi Jennifer,
Great to hear from you! So glad that you have made it through to the other side. I will go and find your recovery thread and have a good read about your experiences! I struggle to keep up with everyone's story.
I agree with Wanda, you are doing an awful lot of pedalling so soon! Maybe that is contributing to your pain and swelling? I haven't even tried to pedal yet.
Lol, you say the cpm machine is "more humane" and "relaxing". Well yes but only if it is set to gentle stretching. After I had my MUA and arthroscopy I was put on it immediately at 90 and it was agony. Had to be given liquid morphine to stop crying :boohoo: The PTs (well mine anyway!) say it should be set to hurt! Unfortunately I disagree with them and set it to the point of discomfort and a "stretch" but no more. If I set it to hurt my knee responds with heat, swelling and pain - and that means more inflammation and scar tissue.
Lucky you to be able to see your horses from the window :happydance: I have to keep mine at a livery yard so have to drive to see them. I am able to drive now as my car is an automatic and its my left leg, so I have been able to visit them more regularly. Today I managed to groom both of them which was lovely. And now my bend is improving I have started to have thoughts about trying to mount :yikes: I understand totally how you feel, just to smell the lovely horsey smell and touch and kiss their velvety noses will definitely help you heal. You need to get hijacking that lawnmower - you have GOT to get there.
Good luck,
Alison
 
Hi Alison - glad that you are making progress and that your bend is improving (although not as fast as you would like). :thumb: So happy for you that you are able to get to your horses - it must be helping your recovery now that you can do it by yourself :yay: - I am so envious that you can drive yourself
 
Hey Alison, I'm so happy today! Both you and Puffin sound so upbeat. You are thinking about getting on your horse (UhOh I can see where this is going :whistle:) and Puffin is able to go out for walks by herself! :happydance:
I shall call the ODIT club and reserve a spot you both of you.
Seriously though, It's good to hear you are feeling better.
Wanda
 
I may need a place in the ODIC :rotfl: A friend came over for coffee and I asked her if she would like some apples as it has been a very good year for apples in this part of Sweden and we have 7 apple trees.... So around 25lbs of apples later loaded in her car and my knee was really feeling the pain :yes:
 
I knew it!! I just knew it!! puffin just had to pick apples and the next thing I'm gonna hear is HorseyLady went for a horse back ride! :doh: :rolleyes: :shocked: :rotfl:
Wanda
 
Haha My way You made me laugh! Riding is still just a thought, particularly as today I seem to have gone backwards. Maybe I need a place in the ODIT club after grooming my horses and thinking I can lead them. How stupid am I? I left the crutch in the stable and decided to lead my horse back to the field :yikes: Yes he walked very slowly and carefully with me but I am just not used to walking without support yet so every step was a bit painful.

puffin Being able to drive myself is great and it has really given me some independence back. Now I hate to say this but it is not particularly comfortable and I wouldn't drive for longer than 30 mins. My car is automatic and it is my left leg so fortunately the leg can sit doing nothing. However being in the slightly bent position for a while is not that nice. And I don't take Tramadol if I intend to drive.

So this evening I have had to take 2 paracetamol with 2 Tramadol as I am getting quite severe pain from this knee. It is also very hot. I do hope I haven't done anything major. I am going to do some gentle stretches on the cpm machine to see if I can loosen it as it has gone very stiff.

Josephine I have a quick question. Do you know if my pain medications (Paracetamol and Tramadol) could cause high blood pressure? I had a health check today and my blood pressure was very high (159/94) and they said my pulse was racing. Wondered whether my leg pain, surgery and/or pain meds could cause this? Appreciate your advice.

My journey always seems to be a few steps forward then backwards again :groan:
 
Do you know if my pain medications (Paracetamol and Tramadol) could cause high blood pressure?
Nope.
I had a health check today and my blood pressure was very high (159/94)
That's not what I would call very high, just somewhat elevated. As they say in the City, like shares, blood pressure can go up and well as down! Was it just taken once? Modern BP machines are masters at hitting the peak of a pulse and the valley between pulses. If ever I find an elevated BP, I always do it at least two and sometimes three times in the same sitting though I always try to engage the patient in some light conversation or banter in between recordings. The alternative is that you were stressed for some reason.
My journey always seems to be a few steps forward then backwards again
That's pretty normal for everybody! :wink:
 
Hi Allison,
I'm so happy you got to groom your horses today. How awesome is that! I'm sorry you are back in pain again just from leading your guy back to his field. Hopefully the ice and elevation helped you get over some of the pain.

Can I tell you a little secret? Promise me you wont tell anyone? :wink: I love Tramadol. I have an old 60lb dog that takes it and before I got my TKR done, I would snitch some of his every time I went riding. It helped incredibly! In fact I think it helped more than the stronger stuff I'm on now. So I'm just hoping it gives you the relief you need and maybe being an animal person, you got a little chuckle out of the fact I was taking the dog's pills for awhile. :puppysmooze:

Hope tomorrow sees you in a lot less pain ❤
 
Josephine Thanks for your reply. Yes, she took it 3 times exactly in the way you suggested, chatting between times, so guess I am just stressed!

muddy paws You made me laugh! Taking the dogs pills! Mind you, I have been tempted by Muffin's Bute over the last few years when my knee has been playing up, I am sure it would work better than my painkillers :yikes:

Guess what, I have sat on a horse today. Not one of mine, my friend's boy was all tacked up in the yard and she asked whether I wanted to see if I could mount at the mounting block without stressing my knee. It wasn't easy but I got on, had 5 minutes walk around (I was very stiff!) and then dismounted by gently sliding off onto my good leg.
I have done it :happydance:This has cheered me up because I was measured at 80 today by PT and was feeling a bit down. Now I see hope on the horizon :)
 
SHE DID IT!!! :yikes: I was right again!!! I just knew it!!! Gawd I'm good. :rotfl: Your reservation confirmed.
Wow. seriously you must feel good. It may be just the thing to keep you going.
I'm so happy for you
Wanda:friends:
 
YAAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOO!!! I bet you'll be sore tomorrow but that is AWESOME! In fact I have tears in my eyes and joy in my heart hearing this! Congratulations, Girlfriend!!!!! :cheers: :happydance: :egypdance:
 
SSSSHHHHHHH girls I don't want my OS to know! He has NOT said that I can ride :yikes: It was just one of those situations that was too good to miss. I knew it would hurt getting on (and it did!) but once on I felt pretty comfortable. Well the knee did anyway, unfortunately the rest of my body was screaming NOOOOO. Boy do I have some work to do on those riding muscles that seem to have lost it completely. I am way way out of condition.

Mentally it was definitely worth it but no doubt I will in the ODIT club tomorrow :happydance:
 
WOOOO HOOOOOO - you have been on a horse :yikes: :happydance: :rolleyes:

Shhhh don't worry we won't tell your OS - it will be our secret - by the way I didn't tell mine that I went to Ireland - what he doesn't know won't hurt him :heehee:

I think it is important to try these things as a big part of recovery is psychological and feeling that you are getting back to normal activities which in turn makes you feel better - hope you are not in the ODIC today
 
Dearest Alison,
I think I am happy you were on a horse :yikes: I know it made you happy :) & that's what counts !
I better keep an eye on you, or next you will want to ride a horse in a race :whistle:
My way was right....she is always right, she knows what people are thinking about before they do it :rotfl:
How goes it with the cpm machine ? 80 sounds good to me. Are you happy with your progress ?
Diana June sunbeams :SUNsmile: .....sitting on a horse... :yay:
 
Hi Diana :SUNsmile: Great to hear from you. Yes it made me happy to be on a horse, even if not my horse. That is the next step :yikes:

I am still managing to get 90 on the cpm but if I'm honest my knee is painful and I am not getting much further. Actively I can only get to 80 and this is with pain. I know this is a lot more than I was getting before MUA and arthroscopy but it is still not very good is it!! My knee is still very warm and feels very stiff. I am 2 weeks out so just hoping that there is still lots of progress waiting to come!

So ... feeling a bit down at the moment about my progress and not sure what is going on :what:
 
Reality check, Alison. You had your procedure just two weeks ago. At two weeks after having the same procedure, I was heading to a second opinion because obviously my knee was good and stuck. My faith is about as good as my patience by the way. It was 4 weeks before my knee got beyond 90. Keep up the hope!
 
Hi Alison - do not get down about the seemingly slow progress :friends:

maryo52 is right - you are only 2 weeks post procedure and you must still have injured tissues - not surprising that ROM is still affected. Some people on here talk about measuring recovery from the start again after a MUA
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom