TKR Full moon and Friday the 13th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:hi:
@H20PoloMom,

How are you feeling today? I hope pain is under control? Let us know know how you are doing when you are awake awake for a while. Which like most of us after we get hope, a lot!

Ok, I am on my 4th week and my living room is still my fortress! I don't want to keep my husband awake at night since I do not sleep., although he might not mind it:roseshwr:!

Prayers for quick healing ! I have to grab some sleep, I am finally feeling sleepy for once"":sleep:

I'll check on you tomorrow!
What a cute message!
 
I had my first visit with a PT yesterday. I can see where this is going to be a love/hate relationship. It hurts and felt good at the same time. As an added bonus, I slept better last night and feel pretty good today because of it.
Glad that things went well (sort of) at PT. How far out post-op are you? Question - did you get a lot of muscle spasms in your leg, and Charlie horses in the back of your leg? Did the PT do anything to help you with that?
 
@Satsu, I'm 14 weeks out and stopped official PT at 10 weeks when I went back to work. I didn't get Charlie horses, but I did have spasms in my knee that were like Charlie horses. My son made me smoothies with bananas (and cherries), and that usually helped. You are very early in recovery; I hope all is going as well as it can be at this point and that your pain is under control. It's especially hard in the early days, but it does get better eventually. Be patient and baby yourself as much as you can!
 
Definitely more pain today. I am pretty sure all local and spinal aenesthetics are completely worn off. Need to figure out a good combo of drugs that works before going home (today?). I've read about the lack of sleep, and was warned by my dr, now I'm living it! Will randomly fall asleep for 20ish minutes at a time. When I wake up, I feel fully awake and alert. Last night, my longest stretch was 1 1/2. No wonder my dr schedules a motivational appt after a few weeks of this.
That's the biggest problem I've encountered (LTKR on 9/16/14), getting a combination of the right meds to take enough pain away to be able to function, at least minimally. This, and the horrible muscle spasms that jerk my leg around into total agony!
 
Hello @H2OPoloMom

Have a same difficulty in going down the stairs, but the LTKR foot is o.k.

I had surgery on that foot in February 2013, so had lots of physio to build up the muscles in the foot, so that could be the reason I am not having the soft foot muscles that you are having.

Will you be having a mid-term break in the Autumn.

When I was working, we had the last week in October as mid-term break.
Although with my last post, I didn't have the full week off, there were no classes and my teachers were off.
So, it was a relaxing week and time to catch up on the paper work.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Satsu, muscles spasms are certainly horrible! My doctor prescribed both flexeril and Valium as a muscle relaxant early on to help. Perhaps you should let your doctor know how bad they are.

@marmora, a fall break would be marvelous! Unfortunately, we don't have one. The Autumn is one of my busiest times, and I look forward to being able to enjoy the color changes some day...
 
@H2OPoloMom Hi, thought I would stop by and see how things are going? Hope all is well with you!?
Our leaves are already changing, but so far mainly yellow. None of the pretty oranges and reds yet. You have a great day!
 
Homecoming is almost over. I just have the dance tomorrow and then am done! It's been a heck of a week! Missed a step coming out of practice Monday night, tweaked my knee, and have suffered since! I'm up almost every hour in the night, and it's like going back 5 weeks in my recovery:( Got a call from hotels.com confirming my reservation in Thailand. The only problem is that I AM NOT GOING TO THAILAND. Goodbye credit card. Today while driving down the highway at 6am, a sheet of plywood came cartwheeling down my lane at me. I had two choices: let it hit me or I could hit the car next to me. So, I hit the board and prayed that my tire wouldn't blow. Minimal damage, but really not the way I wanted to start my day. The good news is that my class won the Red Apple which is the "trophy" for a very big competition between classes at the school I work at and the reason I've been so busy for the past 3 weeks! Going to ice again, but I hope you are all healing well!
 
@H2OPoloMom What a time you have been having? Did you let your OS know about 'tweaking you knee'? Thailand? How did that happen? I see your plywood and raise you a fridge once and a bail of hay! Luckily nothing was beside me so I could swerve out of the way. Glad the plywood didn't hurt you! Hubby was driving once and a herd of deer ran right in front of us. Hubby is such a good driver that our only damage was one jumped over us and it's hoof cut the vinyl roof, and one caught our right head light with it's hoof.
Yippy for winning the Red Apple!
 
@tiredwife Because it happened at school while I was working, I would have to go see someone else (the school's doc) before seeing my ortho doc which makes me nervous but also makes me think what kind of "other" doctor is going to want to mess with a new knee. Now that homecoming is over though, I may call my doc and see if I should jump through the hoops so that I can be seen. I've definitely had a set back with this in terms of pain, swelling and sleep!

I'm thinking the credit card thing links back to the Home Depot hack. I can't think of anything else it might be...

Seriously, a fridge!!! That's craziness!
 
@H2OPoloMom I remember hearing something about Home Depot hack! I like our credit card company, if they think our card number is stolen, they call us and automatically get us a new card with a new number! They have done it a few times, and if a charge appears that aren't normal for our charges they call us and ask us about it. Plus we get cash back!
Yes a fridge! A truck in front of us on HWY 70 hit a bump and the fridge comes flying out! Scary! Glad it was a small one and not a side by side!
Hope you do get your knee looked at. xrays might be needed.
 
We went to a restaurant and our card was swiped. Our credit card company is almost too careful about fraud and shuts the card down all the time, not fun when you are at a gas pump or visiting out of state.
 
@Jane B. I had that problem once with my debit card. My bank hadn't contacted me yet and I was at the gas station wondering why my card was declined. It's a good thing, but it was frustrating at the time. When my grandmother was in the hospital, my cousins came up from Texas with their dad's credit card to pay for gas and his company called them to say that there was a group of teenagers traveling across country with his card. At least they didn't just shut it down... I am curious how they knew that they were teens.
 
So after 9 days of increasing knee pain and little sleep, I went to the worker's comp dr today. I explained what happened, that I have had increased swelling and pain particularly on the outside of my knee (3 at rest, 5-6 with motion and an occasional spike that causes me to turn away from my students until I can get it together and this while taking 800mg of ibuprophen rotating with 1000mg of Tylenol), that I woke up every hour in the night, and that it was clunking more than normal. Then he started messing with my knee, sighed and said that it did seem a little loose, and so they took some X-rays. He said that my implant looks fine and that he wanted to immobilize my knee. I said what? He said he wanted to put it in a brace. Mind you, I know what an immobilizer is. I told him no. My ortho doc said that the clunkiness would go away when it gets stronger, putting it in an immobilizer would make the problem worse (and probably set me back even further along with put me back in PT). He told me I could take my Percocet for pain. To which I explained that I can't take it because I have to drive to work. I asked if he had any ideas about how I could get some better sleep. He said that my Percocet should help me sleep. I explained that it doesn't make me sleepy and I can't have it in my system when I drive. I'd like to avoid the headlines of "teacher in car accident while taking narcotics on way to school." So he was like, I'd like to see you in a week, and if it's not better then, I'll refer you to your ortho doc. So 20 minutes later, a discharge nurse hands me a paper that says that I can't return to work until I'm reevaluated, but the next line says return to work 10/16 which is tomorrow with NO RESTRICTIONS. My poor discharge nurse took a bit of a brunt from me which is very unlike me. I explained that I have insurance, I have sick days, I just want to see my normal ortho doc because something is wrong and this visit solved nothing- that I did not come here for pain meds or sleep aids or because I don't want to work. Curiously, the dr never looked at my right knee to compare for swelling, he never asked me if I was icing or elevating (even though I told him that I have pants that I can no longer wear due to swelling that I have worn since my tkr), none of my paperwork even suggests that I should RICE. AND they scheduled my appointment without checking at all with me for 9:10am which is kind of in the middle of my workday. I'm a bit furious right now... The sleep thing is tough enough during recovery, but while working, it is going to drive me crazy in combination with the pain.
 
@H2OPoloMom Wow, I hate it when doctors don't listen! Hope you get it taken care of! How can a regular doctor even begin to think he knows anything about knee replacement? I can understand how angry you must be.
 
Dear @H2OPoloMom

The phrase "Up the Down Staircase" comes to m mind when reading your post.

It seems as if the Workers' Comp doctor has a hearing problem, in that he didn't hear what you were telling him and that he doesn't understand post TKR protocols when suggesting to immobilise your knee!

It must be so frustrating for you, to now have to "fight" to get the proper referral to your OS and to be told that you go back to work on 16 October without Restrictions ! :scratch: :shrug: :scratch:

All I can say is to take a deep breath, concentrate on your recovery, forget the advice from that doctor ( and I know that you have).

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@tiredwife @marmora
Thank you both for you comments my knee feels like I'm back to the 10 week mark instead of 4 mos. as long as I don't do anything, it feels pretty good, but as soon as I take that first step, I can feel the difference- the looseness, the old feeling of 'I don't trust you quite yet,' the lack of knee pain stamina...joining ODIC daily which I'm fairly certain is what's keeping me up at night. This is just plain exhausting!

I did let our school nurse know about my visit, and she let HR know, and HR called the facility. I work with some really good people! So the facility wanted me to call so that they could make my experience better. I did, and calmly outlined what was wrong. The individual I spoke with wrote nothing down, and I couldn't hear a keyboard going in the background. Nor did she clarify or repeat any of my statements back to me which tells me she wasn't really even listening. The only thing she did was schedule me with a different doctor at a different time (at my request because the original time carved out the middle of my school day and would have been messy with the almost 30 mile drive back to school). I hope my file isn't red tagged now as a problem patient

I hope you are all doing well (Steve too) and that life is getting back to normal!
 
@H2OPoloMom I hope the new doctor will at least listen, but my experience with Workman's comp doctors is they are paid to treat any injury as 'no big deal'. I hurt my back really bad at work once and their doctors couldn't care less. I finally just went to my own doctor.
We are doing okay. We have company this weekend, so my visits on bonesmart is when our friend and hubby run to check on his semi.
Have a great day, and try to rest your knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom