Guest viewing is limited

TKR Frustrations

Finally feeling a little better today. Pain is controllable now after resting since Tuesday morning. I've rested ALOT, elevated, done gentle stretching ROM exercises, and stayed up on pain meds. I'm ignoring the PT's advice of limiting icing to 20 min 3-4 times per day. I'm icing almost all the time!

I'm very leary of PT tomorrow afternoon. :(
 
Remember we're all different in our healing. I did next to nothing as far as exercising goes for the first 6 weeks because I was struggling with side effects from the narcotic pain killers which I completely quit at 3 weeks post op. It took me another few weeks to feel close to normal. Of course my surgeon was livid with me when I went for my 6 week follow-up that I hadn't started physio and he was trying to schedule a date for an M.U.A., which I flatly refused after reading about it on here.

I did start physio at 6 weeks post op and I enjoyed the massage, laser, TENS and cold packs for 20 minutes. I did not enjoy when she flexed my knee. Fast forward 7 months post op and I could finally pedal a full rotation on my bike (on a trainer) and walk easily, no pain, up and down the stairs. I wasn't too vigilant with the home exercises and didn't have any pain after the first few weeks ~ it just took longer than some others for me to get my R.O.M. back. Since then I have gone on some good bike rides, up until last Dec. when I broke my femur, right above the knee replacement; knee replacement survived.

Be cautious what you do at p.t.; it's up to you. One exercise that I was given that caused a 2 week setback at the time was the one where you have to stand on one leg for 30 seconds. It was so painful after. You really need to be patient with yourself. Walking is good and heel slides in your comfort zone as well.
 
Wondering if I'm still in the normal range...24 days post-surgery. Still taking Tylenol (100 mg) and Ibuprofen (800 mg) every 6 hours. They alternate so I'm taking either Tylenol or Ibuprofen every 3 hours. Also taking oxycodone (5 mg) every 4 hours. It seems like a lot of pain reducers for this point, but each time I think about cutting back, my knee reminds me it's time to take the medication. Are there others still taking opioids at this point after surgery? It seems like most are off by now. Feeling like maybe I should start cutting back but don't want to be in pain.

Also, what is a reasonable amount of time off work for this surgery? I had planned on going back after 6 weeks, but now I just can't see that being a good idea. I'm recovering well, according to PT and the doctor and PA, but I feel like being on my feet all day at that point would be very difficult. I'm an elementary instructional coach. So, I work in classrooms modeling lessons and co-teaching with teachers, planning professional development, attending leadership meetings, attending planning meetings with teachers, etc. My days are split with on my feet and at my desk, but mostly on my feet. 6 weeks lands me on December 8. If I take another 2.5 weeks off, it is the holiday break and I get another week and a half off. I could then go back on January 3, which would give me 10 weeks off total. Does that seem more reasonable? Luckily I have a LOT of sick days built up that I can use. Very thankful for that. But been teaching for 22 years and don't usually take many days off. Welcoming others' thoughts on this.
 
... But been teaching for 22 years and don't usually take many days off. Welcoming others' thoughts on this.
I retired two years ago as a Primary school teacher after over forty years at the coal face so I know the kind of day you have at work.
I think I'm doing rather well in the rehab stakes but I couldn't even begin to think about returning to the classroom in a couple of weeks time, which is the time scale you're talking about.
Leave it until after Christmas and be very careful when you do return to the classroom.
 
I am 24 days post surgery and take Parecetamol 500mg 4 times a day with Ibuprofen 400 mg inbetween three times a day with a codeine 30 mg with the last lot of paracetamol before be and then when I wake up at 2 a.m. if I can't get bac to sleep for pain or ache I take another codeine. I can usually manatge then till morning when I start all over again
 
@BarabooProud you need to do what works for you and try not to compare yourself to others. Some are off pain meds quickly, most take them for 1-2 months, and some even longer. Jaycey is right, when you forget a dose then it's time to slowly wean off.

I am 10 weeks post op and just started going back to work in tiny micro-shifts of about an hour and a half. My usual shift is 4 hours and it's on my feet the whole time. I'm trying to ease back into it slowly so I don't overdo it. (I also work part-time) After New Year's is plenty of time to go back.
 
Just got off the phone with my aunt who is getting her second TKR on Monday. She had her first one done Nov '20. Had a very easy recovery and was only on her hydrocodone for 10 days. After that, just Tylenol and Celebrex. She was very confused why I was still taking oxycodone 4 weeks after mine. She was also surprised that I am still not sleeping through the night and get up every 3 hours to take some type of pain killer and get fresh ice packs. I guess I wish more people who go through a TKR would read these threads to realize that not everyone heals as quickly as others. I'm tired of people being surprised that I'm healing as "slowly" as I am. When I read the threads, I'm quite normal! I am so relieved for this community as otherwise, I would wonder if there was something wrong with me!


I'm venting here a little, so thanks for listening...
 
@BarabooProud I don't think there is a "normal" when it comes to recovery from joint replacement. We are all different. This forum is so helpful both because we can share our experiences with one another and because, when the time comes to do knee #2, we'll have all this great documentation of our experience with round one. :wink:
 
@BarabooProud You’ve been working there 22 years & have lots of sick time! Do what is right for your recover! You have the sick days- you worked for them & you earned them- don’t feel guilty for taking care of yourself! If you go back too soon you may overdo it and regret it. You deserve to take your time & heal and recover. Don’t worry about what others say about how they are off their pain meds or further along than you- you do what feels right for you & that is fine & normal. You are doing great & don’t let anyone tell you differently! You got this! :yay:
 
@BarabooProud On my first surgery in 2019 I took all my pain meds well into my 3rd /4th month and suffered no ill side effects or dependency, by doing that I was able to do my few exercises, short walks and manage my daily living activities pain free.
Each and every one of us are different, some "claim" to heal super fast, others take longer, most non operated people think we should be up and running days after :flabber: but at the end of the day it's our knee(s) and they will take the time they need to feel better, I have no qualms in 2 weeks, I will take pain medication for as long it takes. My left knee albeit strong and pain free, I still have days that it tells me, that this process is still ongoing.
Vent as much as you want, we are all here for you xxx
 
[Bonesmart.org] Frustrations
 
Just got off the phone with my aunt who is getting her second TKR on Monday. She had her first one done Nov '20. Had a very easy recovery and was only on her hydrocodone for 10 days. After that, just Tylenol and Celebrex. She was very confused why I was still taking oxycodone 4 weeks after mine. She was also surprised that I am still not sleeping through the night and get up every 3 hours to take some type of pain killer and get fresh ice packs. I guess I wish more people who go through a TKR would read these threads to realize that not everyone heals as quickly as others. I'm tired of people being surprised that I'm healing as "slowly" as I am. When I read the threads, I'm quite normal! I am so relieved for this community as otherwise, I would wonder if there was something wrong with me!


I'm venting here a little, so thanks for listening...

I understand how you feel. It's like childbirth. Some women can fly through with no pain meds and a quick delivery. Others need all pain meds allowable and have a long arduous delivery. Your aunt is probably in the 1%. Others lie and say they had a recovery as easy as hers.
We are definitely in the majority. Especially at our age. Being younger and needing this surgery, oftentimes we have co-morbidities that lengthen or impede our recoveries. So don't feel bad! :)
 
@Sara61 I love the image you shared! Gave me a chuckle.

I'm at the 4 week mark now. My pain has gotten a bit better, although I still get very tired so quickly! It amazes me the exhaustion I feel after doing the most simple things. My motivation to do much of anything is waning. I started to take my oxy every 6 hours instead of every four. We'll see how that goes. I survived the night that way, so that's good. Still up every 2-3 hours, though. Really looking forward to a good 4-5 hour stretch someday! I did find a body pillow in my basement and brought it up to my bed. Didn't know how that would work, but it was very comfortable! Gave me a second position that works for my knee. I lay on my back and elevate with two pillows and now I can lay on my good side with my operated leg over the body pillow. Baby steps, right?

I'm getting a little nervous about my daughter's college graduation coming up in 2 1/2 weeks (Dec 11). I will be at 6 1/2 weeks post-op. We have to travel an hour and a half to get there. Friday night there is a reception to go to where their portfolios are displayed (just a couple of hours and we don't have to stay the whole time) and then Saturday her ceremony is at 3 pm. Wondering how sitting for a couple hours is going to be. After the ceremony on Saturday, we are planning on taking her out for a nice dinner and a bunch of family is going to meet us there. Any advice on how to get through this evening? Oh, and we are staying in a hotel for Friday and Saturday nights. Planning on bringing my extra pillows and ice packs. Not sure if there is a fridge there to keep them cold. Although I could use something to put cubes in, I guess. There should be ice at the hotel. This will be my first outing other than PT or doctor visits. I hope it goes okay. After the dinner, I'm planning on going back to the hotel, icing, and elevating, while my daughter and some family will probably go out to celebrate. I'm someone who likes a good party, so this will be kind of a bummer just sitting at the hotel, but you gotta do what you gotta do...
 
Hi BarabooProud,

Just reading your progress report and am here to affirm your progress is pretty normal! I thought I’d mention what I did when I had an important event soonish after TKR, to give you more ideas… I always call a hotel to confirm I will have access to a freezer for ice packs! Once, at a convention, it was in a basement freezer, but staff were sweet and sympathetic and got me my well-labeled ice packs as needed!

I take 3 at least, so one can be on my knee, one heading back to freeze, one almost ready for later. I always have a 2nd chair handy, or a stool, so I can put my leg up on that if I’m in a place where there are hours worth of schmoozing…like a graduation! Then I invite folks to come hang out with me to chat… it’s worked at meetings and conventions, both. (Why so much experience you wonder? Had to wait 5 years between TKRs so was in pain for several years and still had to live my life!)

You have every right to be as comfortable as you can be! And you are within your rights to take it easy, too! If you need to sit to rest, invite others to join you; they might really appreciate the idea and not be as self-preserving as you are!

I was lucky: my mom had polio and was super feisty so I had a pro to learn how to advocate for myself!

Oh, and do take one of those cooler bags too, to use to transport your ice packs to and from events; you can probably find one that will fit your ice packs, though it might be kind of heavy… I found a backpack style one that worked!

Assume that you might need a bit more pain medication, too, if you have to be up and about more during the events, too… prepared is better than not, eh?!

It sounds like your daughter must be graduating from a visual arts program, so congratulations to all!
 
Hope you have a great time and get to do some partying!. I had to go into work yesterday ( I am on long term sick for other reasons but had to go in to sign some docs) and its a 1.5 hour journey - hubby drove me there and I sat on the back seat with my leg up across the seat. When I arrived at work they were very helpful and I sat with leg raised on a chair. Hubby did not pick me up till 3 hours later (not his fault but unavoidable) and I had to sit in the front with leg down for return journey. I thought I would suffer for it but all in all it was not too bad - home by 5 pm and raised leg for rest of evening. Bruising appeared round scar which appears to happen if I do more than usual but no more pain than usual. I think if we think these things out and take it steady it is ok. Resting today.
 
Back
Top Bottom