Guest viewing is limited

TKR Frustrations

Another question. I elevate when I sleep or lay on the couch. Is it bad that I lay with pillows under my leg with my knee bent? I'm close to zero extension but not completely. I'm just over 5 weeks post op.
 
It might depend on how bent your knees are. Check out this article:

 
At what point in your recovery did you start sleeping more than a couple of hours at a time. I'm so sleep-deprived and had a total meltdown today - all day. I was exhausted and went to bed and only slept an hour and a half and I'm awake again. Just curious when people had luck sleeping again. I don't need the information on why sleep eludes me. I just want to know when to expect things to get better. Thanks!
 
I had a similar experience a while after I came home from this last surgery. I felt so bad, just blue, just wanting to cry. It actually hit me some in the hospital, but I didn’t want to cry there. Finally at home, I did cry some. Like you, I’m active, & normally very upbeat. So it was especially disturbing. But it didn’t last long, & I’m back on track now. Makes sense, we just don’t anticipate how difficult this recovery can be. But, I keep trying to focus on each tiny improvement, & remind myself that today is just a Little better than yesterday ( even on a tough day.). Definitely looking forward to next week, which will be a lot slower than this week was. Good luck. This recovery does seem to be full of surprises, doesn’t it....
 
@Catalien45 Yes this recovery is so hard! I'm very fortunate that physically I'm doing pretty well at 5 1/2 weeks. However, there are all these weird things cropping up. Sleep is absolutely horrible. Emotions are running high since I'm so sleep deprived. I emailed my surgeon last night about the sleeping problems to get his take. Also have an annual physical this afternoon with my GP and will ask her thoughts. Just want to fast forward about 3 months!
 
For me, sleep gradually became more normal but I'd say it was at least 6 weeks before I started to get off my "installment plan" for sleep. Do grab naps in the afternoons if you can.
 
@Catalien45 Yes this recovery is so hard! I'm very fortunate that physically I'm doing pretty well at 5 1/2 weeks. However, there are all these weird things cropping up. Sleep is absolutely horrible. Emotions are running high since I'm so sleep deprived. I emailed my surgeon last night about the sleeping problems to get his take. Also have an annual physical this afternoon with my GP and will ask her thoughts. Just want to fast forward about 3 months!
Like you, I'm going great guns with the rehab.
Sleep?
What's that?
I had 2 hrs on Tuesday night. If I get an accumulated 4 or 5 hrs, I think I've hit the jackpot. I'm sure part of it is the fact I'm expending very little energy compared to normal but even so, I'm a bit 'tee'd off. Part of it is a nagging ache in my leg at night and I don't know where to put it [no pain meds now] but my consultant on Wednesday assured me both the ache and sleep pattern will get better. Hope so.
 
I agree, sleep patterns are weird! This is my second knee, and I am 2&1/2 weeks into it and not doing much. Rode my bike 10 min today...I just feel exhausted, napping off and on. I do know that sleeping is good healing time, but I am ready for this fog to lift!
Hanging in there, thinking about getting through the holidays and a great New Year!
Take care!
 
I’m sorry you’re struggling with sleep. You and I had our surgeries a day apart and I am struggling, too. I am getting 2-3 hours at a time and have been sleeping in my recliner. I haven’t been able to sleep in my bed due to knee pain. However, I can fall back to sleep after a little while or after I take pain medicine. I don’t really have advice but wanted you to know I am thinking of you and sending some sleeping prayers your way! I do remember when I had my hip done that sleep was the last thing to come. It just takes time. I hope you get some good sleep soon!
 
Trying some CBD gummies tonight that are supposed to help sleep. We will see if anything happens. I feel like I'm living in a fog. No energy, on the verge of tears. No desire to do much of anything. Almost like a depression. If I could sleep more than 3 hours a night, I know I'd improve. I took Tylenol PM last night and honestly, I've felt like I had a hangover all day. And it didn't even help me sleep! Does that happen to anyone else?
 
but my consultant on Wednesday assured me both the ache and sleep pattern will get better. Hope so.

Yes, it will. I'm finally able to sleep and be comfortable. I'm still putting a contoured memory foam pillow in between my knees when I'm on my side but I'm able to sleep on my stomach now (have for about a month) and shifting around in bed is getting easier and easier. It's no longer the wrestling match with myself that it used to be. I will occasionally get that ache if I bend my knee for too long (while asleep) but it's getting much better.
 
but my consultant on Wednesday assured me both the ache and sleep pattern will get better. Hope so.

Yes, it will. I'm finally able to sleep and be comfortable. I'm still putting a contoured memory foam pillow in between my knees when I'm on my side but I'm able to sleep on my stomach now (have for about a month) and shifting around in bed is getting easier and easier. It's no longer the wrestling match with myself that it used to be. I will occasionally get that ache if I bend my knee for too long (while asleep) but it's getting much better.
That's very reassuring to know first hand. Thank you. Last night was one of my better nights., Two hours, then a read for an hour then three hours. I'll take that!
 
The CBD gummies I have been taking have 3 mg of melatonin in them. I've been taking 2 gummies and I have been sleeping so much better! I can sleep for a 6-hour stretch, plus another couple hours before or after that stretch. Game changer for me. I feel so much better lately.

I am just over 7 weeks now. Exited from PT at 6 weeks. Still doing stretching exercises, biking, and walking though. PT said my problem now is that my body is able to do more than my healing will allow. Meaning physically I can do a lot, but I may end up paying for it later with swelling and/or pain. This week I have been walking a mile each day. Well, that caught up to me last night. Swelling and a little pain. The pain woke me up and that hasn't happened to me for a while. Today I'm going to ice, elevate, and do stretching, but no big walk. Maybe for now every other day walks would be okay. Or shorter walks. It is hard to hold myself back since there's no pain at the time.
 
The ODC (Over Did it Club) is so easy to join!! As for your walking that's terrific that you can do a mile. But alas, your knee told you it was too much. Something my surgeon told me was one day walk half of what you 'think' you can do, then elevate & ice. The next day no walk but ride the exercise bike. Day 3 walk again but only half. After walking for the 3rd time walk 75% of what you think. His point is to very very slowly increase your distance. But to always do the same distance at least 3 times before increasing. Hopefully that made sense.

If you over do the pain and swelling only set you back. I'm glad your feeling so good.
 
Does anyone have issues with walking on uneven ground or downhill? I notice that is challenging, especially when on a trail or grassy area.
 
Yes, I had that for quite a while. It gets better as you heal.
 
Good to hear that it gets better @Jockette! I love to hike and was a bit worried. My mom has had both knees and both hips replaced. Walking on uneven ground is not possible for her any longer. I don't want to end up like that. :)
 
I’m sorry about your mom. We are all different and heal differently. I still have a little bit of an issue with this but it’s much better than it was early on.

It’s been 4+ years since my surgery, but I haven’t had a good outcome with my partial,
 
I have an ankle, knee, and hip replacement and I can hike again for the first time in many years @BarabooProud. I have taken some very strenuous hikes including rough terrain and large elevation changes. Those were all things lost to me as my knee degenerated, it feels amazing to be able to do it again. You are still very early in recovery, things will continue to improve and I'm sure you will enjoy hiking again.
 
Well, I'm at 8 weeks PO tomorrow. I'm still not feeling great. I've been taking it easy since my post about my setback and I still have lots of stiffness and soreness. I've been elevating, icing, and generally taking it slow again. I want to get back to walking, but I'm afraid to. I'm hopeful this setback will soon be a thing of the past. Christmas is in a few days and I don't have time to be so sore! Thanks for listening to me vent! :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom