Guest viewing is limited

TKR Frustrations

Unfortunately 8 weeks is still early in a recovery that takes an average of a year. Try to rethink your holiday in favor of your knee, it‘s doing it’s best to heal. Give your knee the time it needs to heal and next Christmas you’ll be ready for all you want to do. :console2:
 
Hi @ Barbarooproud - I hope you are doing well today. I agree with you, having to slow down is difficult! I’m normally very active; in a way, this TKR & then the infection & subsequent 2nd surgery Making me slow down so much has been a good experience. Maybe sometimes, I’m too hard on myself, & set my expectations a little high, & then, in my stubborn way, insist on following through.
I was Not able to attend that last week of our beloved Farmers Market, & tell our many friends there goodbye til next year. Our Christmas is down scaled this year, & I Supervised our tree going up & decorated, by husband, daughter & grandson. Not doing my usual baking. But, taking care of myself, & resting a lot. I still tire out easily. Right now, with Dr appointments, PT, and having to get up at 6AM every day for antibiotic infusions, I do get tired. As Hawk2go said, just so many spoons! And, we try to walk regularly, & I try to do as many of the exercises as I can. It’s hard work, just recovering, I’m learning, both through my own experiences & the folks I’ve come to know on Bonesmart....a lot of lessons out there & wise advice.

So, I love to read, so often, get out my latest book ( currently an old A.J. Cronin book , an author I loved as a teenager.... getting re-aquatinted). The reading relaxes me, & I often get a little nap in..
We haven’t been able to do a lot of shopping other than online... not the little personal things I like to pick out. But having to delay my flu shot means I just Don’t get out, other than the necessary visits. It has Definitely been a learning process for me.
One gift we are especially excited with.... a gift basket sold by one of our favorite farming families. It’s an old fashioned basket, literally Filled with fruit & vegetables, also several jars of jams, pickled items & mixed nuts. And, we are supporting this wonderful farming family, very good people who have had a tough year with the Pandemic & then a tornado that hit their farm earlier this year. And our daughter, her husband & grandson will love it! So we got a sorta vicarious “ last visit “ this year to our Farmers Market, and our friends, after all.
All this to say, it will be a different Christmas for us this year, definitely scaled down, but I think, a very memorable one. Btw, as I type this, I’m watching my husband, on his laptop, dozing off now & then ( he gets up Faithfully, Every morning to do my infusions & lets me get a few more winks), & our faithful little Felicity Kitty next to me on the couch, snoozing blissfully away.
I do hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and remember, folks will for the most part, understand if you are not at full speed. Just take care of yourself, & let your body heal. Give Yourself the gift of kindness. And remember, it Does get better, even if it’s a tiny bit each day.....
 
Thanks for your reply, @Catalien45! I haven't been to the site for a couple of weeks with the holidays and all. I had a good Christmas (the knee did fairly well), but I have definitely not been myself lately in regards to energy. I still need to sit and recline regularly. Ice is still my friend. However, my interest in cooking has improved and I have started to exercise regularly. I have actually been able to do HIIT workouts this week. I bike with resistance enough to get my heart pumping for 3 minutes and then get off the bike and lift weights for 1 minute. I keep this up for 30 minutes. No negative effects as of yet, although I'm very careful about what weight exercises I do. Mainly upper body and core. I do this every other day and on the off days I walk for a mile with the dog. So I'm definitely showing progress. Monday I go back to work and I'll be at 10 weeks. I don't think I'll have the energy for workouts then. So I'm enjoying it for now.
 
You will likely be wiped out when you get home. Give yourself permission to rest and elevate.
 
I did amazingly well last week going back to work! I was surprised that when I came home I still had energy enough to walk my dog for 20 minutes on 3 different days! Plus make dinner. Don't get me wrong, not 100% yet, but feel like there are certain parts of my life that are coming back. I'll be at 11 weeks tomorrow.

A question I have is about ache/pain behind the knee. I get this on a regular basis. Not bad, but enough that I want to sit in a chair or prop it up. Just curious what causes this. Is this soft tissue that is still needing healing?
 
Also, my daughter, who is home from college on winter break, has tested positive for Covid. I have no symptoms yet, but I'm a bit nervous since my dr. told me that I was immunocompromised after having such a major surgery. Surgery was 11 weeks ago, so maybe my defenses are back to normal? I'm vaccinated and boosted, so I hope that helps the situation. It's hard to avoid covid right now. Seems like so many people have it! I'll get tested today or tomorrow.
 
We had surgery the same week and I also felt a good turn around in the last couple of weeks - this week I have a new bit of pain/ache on the medial side of my knee but I am accepting this as par for the course and resting a bit more. I was feeling a bit under the weather this morning so hubby and I did a lateral flow test or Covid which came up negative. I think I am just a bit tired after a busy day yesterday. Hope your test also comes out negative. Glad to hear that your return to work was good!
 
Hopefully if you do test positive you will have a mild case since you are vaccinated and boostered. It's really been going around, my hubby and daughter had it and basically had a cold with sinus congestion. I realize everyone is different but hopefully if you get it, it will be mild..... :fingersx:

Glad your return to work has been fairly smooth
 
A question I have is about ache/pain behind the knee. I get this on a regular basis. Not bad, but enough that I want to sit in a chair or prop it up. Just curious what causes this. Is this soft tissue that is still needing healing?
Lots and lots of soft tissue left to heal at 11 weeks @BarabooProud. Are you still icing? I found that very helpful after I got home from work and before bed.
 
Also, my daughter, who is home from college on winter break, has tested positive for Covid. I have no symptoms yet, but I'm a bit nervous since my dr. told me that I was immunocompromised after having such a major surgery. Surgery was 11 weeks ago, so maybe my defenses are back to normal? I'm vaccinated and boosted, so I hope that helps the situation. It's hard to avoid covid right now. Seems like so many people have it! I'll get tested today or tomorrow.
I will begin by saying this is my first post and I am only six days post op. However, I would like to comment on one portion of your post. I would not be overly concerned with your response if you became COVID positive eleven weeks post op. You have protected yourself to the extent possible with vaccinations and booster, and expectations would be that if you became COVID positive 11 weeks post op that your case would not be severe. In my portion of the Midwest, we are seeing considerable Omicron variant activity. Cases are certainly on the rise, some schools are closing, and workers in our health systems are exhausted. The only bright side is for those testing positive after being vaccinated and receiving boosters, very few are requiring hospitalization.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom