THR From the Other Side

Just to let you know... Definitely not dismissive of your struggles...I remember it well... And it is not fun.

Just my attempt to maybe make you smile...
Hugsxxx

Thank you everyone, @Hip4life @leejaa and @Mojo333 for your words of encouragement and support. And Mojo, your song did bring a smile to my face, thank you.

Well I haven't done any physio for six days now, just walking. These feelings I keep having are hard to describe, not stabbing pain, more like a horrible ache or soreness. They appear in different places, i.e. top of the hip, lower hip or groin. And not all the time. So if there was something wrong I would feel something all the time, yes? It's a natural thought to think there's something gone wrong. For me anyway, a born worrier.

I feel I haven't made any progress in the past two weeks. I am eight weeks tomorrow and still walking with a cane in the house. I have no one to actually relate to. Everyone I know has had a hip replacement because of previous problems and were in pain, but now improved. Whereas I had a perfectly good hip with absolutely no problems before my replacements, but it is now that I'm having problems. I only found two people on here who had broken hips because of accidents, but neither of them had a replacement.

A lot of the time I am feeling discomfort when I have been sitting on our sofa. Although I am not sitting directly on it, having bought a firmer cushion specifically for replacements (as advertised). But I think that is still a tad too soft.

My physio lady is back on Friday and I think she will be disappointed with my lack of progress since last week. Though I am not worried about her disappointment, more for my own disappointment. I absolutely know that everyone is different and we mustn't compare ourselves to others, but it is hard not to...…..

Sorry for such a 'down' post. I am trying to be positive, honest.

Hi Kathy,
I’m sorry you’re feeling down. I would also assume if something’s amiss the pain would be increasing and unrelenting. Do you think you’d feel better if you phoned the office of your OS and received some reassurance after they questioned you a bit? Consider it, if only for your peace of mind since you mentioned you’re a worrier.

I only found two people on here who had broken hips because of accidents, but neither of them had a replacement.

@alexthecat experienced THR after a fracture from a biking accident. Possibly she will stop by and offer you some hope as she’s recovered very well and I believe is currently 10 yrs post op.

Wishing you peace of mind and brighter days! :SUNsmile:

Thank you @Layla. Yes it may be a good idea to phone and speak to somebody. As you say, just to put my mind at rest. I don't have a follow up appointment until October and that's by phone!

Thank you also for tagging @alexthecat.

You’re welcome! Please let us know what you hear.
Hugs :friends:

I think it's natural to be experiencing ups and downs now. You are recovering from the physical and emotional trauma of your injury, on top of THR. In addition to all that, I don't know what was going on in your life when your injury happened, but I'm sure you had plans and goals that did not involve hip replacement. It's okay to grieve those losses.
I only found two people on here who had broken hips because of accidents, but neither of them had a replacement.
I had a THR after a hip fracture, but my hip was pinned first. Pinning is often a tough surgery and a long, painful recovery. You're better off skipping that and going straight to THR, if that's an option. You get to the same place in the end, but the THR path is usually a lot smoother.
I thought I was making good progress at 5.5 weeks, but then I read someone else's post who is at 5 weeks and they are walking around as normal. I know everyone's case is unique, but that is just extraordinary!
Those miracle recoveries do happen, but I'll let you in on a secret. I manage BoneSmart's social media accounts and I get to see a lot of videos of people walking after THR. Many of them give up walking aids before they're ready to. They can walk independently and they're very proud of that, but they have horrible gaits. It's better to use a crutch or stick as a tool to help you improve your gait until you no longer need it. Then, once your gait is perfect, no one will even guess that you've had a hip fracture and THR.

Last edited:
I appreciate you replying to me, @alexthecat Thank you.

I hear everything you say. Initially, when I was admitted to hospital after x-ray, they told me they would be pinning me. A half hour surgery they said. So when I woke up three hours later and they told me they had replaced my hip instead, it was quite a shock. But as you say, a replacement is better in the long run, so I am glad for that.

I'm glad that your hip turned out successful in the end. I pray mine does too.

I will take a look at the Bonesmart Facebook page.

Dare I say it, she says touching lots of wood? I seem to have turned that corner. Yesterday my hip felt so much better. This morning my physiotherapist came. I explained my concerns during this past week and she said she didn't feel that anything was wrong.

She had me do a lot of bending at the hip and The I was thinking while doing them that I will pay for this later. Then horror of horrors, she suggested we go outside for a little walk with just the stick (I have been walking outside with two crutches for confidence). We walked up and down and few times. Bearing in mind there is a gale force wind out there today, wow, that was a test, lol. I did fine. Then she said we will try with no stick! Well, I did it a few times! So pleased with myself.

She suggested I walk with no stick indoors during the mornings for now and with a stick in the afternoons. She advised for me not to push if I am hurting and to rest if I do. So far, touching more wood, my hip feels fine and my confidence with walking unaided is growing slowly.

I know I have to do this slowly and I will listen to my hip. I am feeling much happier today and can finally see a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel.

Wonderful update @KathyH ! Good progress. Just don't be afraid to go back to using a stick if you start to limp. It is very easy to get into the habit again if there is discomfort.

We have gales here as well! Go safe!

What a difference a day makes! I’m happy for you, Kathy. :happydance:
Receiving reassurance can take one far in this recovery. It’s wonderful the Physio gave you the confidence to venture outdoors with only one stick...and in gale force winds no less! Yay, you did it. :yay:

The advice you received seems sound and I’ll bet you notice progress. Here’s to you feeling steadier and stronger week by week.
Wishing you a lovely weekend. Enjoy!
@KathyH

Wonderful news. It is these seemingly small things that are so huge for us in recovery and make life brighter. I would use walking aids first thing in the morning till I was fully awake (had to have my coffee) and then experiment with none and again back to some support in the evenings as my energy flagged.

Have a wonderful day. Celebrate your new accomplishment.

Many thanks for sharing your thread with me, @alexthecat . Your certainly did well with your positive attitude and were an inspiration to others, particularly Jacey. :flwrysmile:

Just one question, as my physiotherapist is on holiday this week so can't ask her. We recently purchased a treadmill. I wondered if it would be okay to use it on the slowest setting?

@KathyH Treadmills are a great way to build up walking distance. But you must keep it on the lowest setting and no incline. And be very careful about getting off the treadmill. Allow it to come to a complete stop before getting off. We don't want any falls!

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you @Jaycey . Hmm, I may try it in a couple of weeks then, hopefully when I have more confidence. I will get hubby to show me how slow it goes. I haven't even seen it yet. It's in our summerhouse at the end of the garden. You have to go up a few steps to reach the summerhouse. And this is where I fell from when I fractured my hip :bawl:so as you can imagine, I'm not exactly excited about going up there again, lol.

You certainly did well with your positive attitude...
Oh, I don't know about that. :heehee: I was absolutely faking that attitude. THR was my fourth hip surgery in nine months. I was so over it. :tantrum: Just physically and emotionally exhausted. My life had never gotten back to normal after my hip fracture. It took a couple of months post-THR before I really believed that I could put all that behind me and get on with my life.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back