Bilateral TKR FreeriderNC's Recovery Thread - Update

Hi Everyone.... I thought I would try & give a little update on my BTKR. I read the articles every day. I have been sleeping in the bed for 5 nights now that I can raise my legs up on to the bed on my own. We had set this room up for my recovery but...just made it to it. My husband & I have King size bed that is really high pillow top. I've always had a stool on my side of the bed since I'm so short I couldn't get on bed. It will be a while before I'm back in our bed together. My hubby is still sleeping in his recliner. He is always coming in and checking on me. It feels wonderful to lay on your side for a while. I have a small gel memory foam pillow that I rest my knees on sometimes. On a funny note what I do have trouble doing is when I have to get up to use my bedside toilet......my feet will be wrapped in the blanket and I know I cant put my feet to the floor that way. It really gets frustrating. I wish I could sleep with socks on but I cant. I think my goodness I'm going to wet the bed trying to get my feet untangled. Last night was the best night I have slept since Dec 8 surgery. I actually slept for 5 hours straight. it was wonderful------ Only I was a little stiff from not moving.
I had 2 days of PT last week. ROM is 112. They put me on the recumbent bike to only pedal back & forth half way. I have been documented my whole recovery on video & photos. PT said the goal is to eventually be able to go all the way around but...was able to do 2 full rounds. I was amazed. I told my PT quick measure my ROM since my knee looked like it was to my chest. LOL I was given the OK to drive and I'm ready to start going back to the YMCA to swim and walk in the water. Wishing everyone only the best. Peace & Love
 
That sounds like just about perfect recovery.
They put me on the recumbent bike to only pedal back & forth half way... PT said the goal is to eventually be able to go all the way around but...was able to do 2 full rounds.
It's a great way to gain ROM. When you can get full rotation for about 30secs pedalling -- move the saddle down a bit, maybe 1cm (1/2") and try again until just one rotation is uncomfortable. Rotate for 10-30sec or so, many times a day. When it gets easy, lower the saddle again.
 
My surgery BTKR is Feb. 16. I would love to see your videos


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum BTKR Feb 16, 2016
 
Yup. When editing, look at the toolbar above the text box. The one that looks like a couple of photos is the 'media' box.
 
Pm message would be great. My day is coming soon....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum BTKR Feb 16, 2016
 
It has been a few days since I posted an update. Almost 9 weeks post. I seem to have a few set backs but... its my muscles around my knees like trying to strengthen the quads. Both knees seem to be healing and doing about the same now. I do have stiffness if my legs stay straight too long. Weird when a few weeks ago, they don't bend. Now I continue to move and bend them when sitting. I'm on a cane now but I'm not ready to run a marathon. :) I am still on some hydrocodone at bedtime and before therapy.PT gave me a rubber band to help strengthen my quads that is 2 different exercises 10 reps for 2 sets. Only to be used every other day at home and wont be used at PT sessions. Definitely makes it a little sore. Knees seemed to be fine like I said its all my other weak muscles. I go down steps fine with my cane we have 5 steps going down with hand rail. Hubby stands in front just to give me extra security. I drive my self to PT. My trouble is coming back up steps that seems to be more of a problem. That's what the rubber band suppose to help. Been to the YMCA 2 times and walked in the water. Right now PT is measuring me at 115 ROM on both knees. I have rode the recumbent bike for the 2nd time but able to make a few completed circles in a 7 min time period. But I know each time will get better. I still cant do all the work in the house that I want to do ......but my hubby of 46 years is great. I still sit in my recliner but get up at least ever hour and make trips around the house. I actually start doing something and leave my cane and walk off ......and forget it. I can walk a little ways with out it. But it this weak muscles that make me start looking for it. Or I will hold on to something. Right now my biggest fear is to fall. I am really fearful of that. I pray for every one to have a blessed recovery. I have met a few people that are from NC & one from Texas that has become my friend on Face Book. I have logged my journey from day one in an album and I have video. One frustration that I have is I CAN'T get my socks on. Lol. I can take them off but not put them on. I know 1000 percent I'm glad I had the bilateral done. I know each day will get better. We may be having to trike my motorcycle out to make me feel more comfortable or ease. but who knows in 6 months or when summer rolls around OS said I should have no problems. We shall see. Everyone have a blessed night
 
Sounds like a lot of progress. It's sad at our ages (I'm a couple of years older than you) how quickly muscle goes away and how long it takes to get it back especially without pain (even with no extras like TKRs). But sounds like you're on the track you want to be on!
 
@charmed-life You are exactly right. I did go to the YMCA for a few months but....wished I would have went longer since I concentrated on getting my knee ROM & quads built up. I didn't work too much on upper body strength & didn't realize how much it took just to hold/push yourself up & down from toilet/chair. I was afraid I was going to tear my other rotator cuff I had surgery on left one in 2007. I love this site.....It has been a blessing and a so much useful information. Looks like you are 2 weeks post from RTKR. Hope you are having a peaceful recovery. One day at a time..... Peace & Love to you ♥
 
One ironic advantage of my injury and subsequent poor recovery from it was 4 months of having to drag around a non-bending leg (non weight bearing for 2 months). So getting up and down stairs, bathroom, shower are all figured out! Just need to get knee working before adhesions set in as they did after the surgery to repair the injury.
 
I have been doing great with everything ....right on track. ROM last week was 118. I still go to PT twice a week. and will for another at least 3 weeks, My problem that I am having is legs aching way down deep inside. Especially hips and outer thighs, even calfs at night. Wakes me up and keeps me awake. Like massaging would help way deep. I elevate, with a wedge in the bed. It is Not like the muscle spasms I had the first few weeks. That made me cry, My OS prescribed 4mg of Zanaflex this past Friday. (muscle relaxer) says take 3 times a day. I'm still taking Hydrocodone 5 when needed. Also the backs of my knees feel very tight and stiff as the day goes by. Even when I get up in the mornings. Anyone else have this problem. Bilateral was done on Dec 8. I have been on only a cane for about 4 weeks now. Thanks
 
I am at eight weeks today. I am also having pain in the calves and hips, along with the ongoing aches and pains of healing. What has surprised me is how tired I am becoming again. I am increasing my activity slowly, but by the late afternoon, I am beat. Sleeping is still elusive. If I am lucky, I can "sleep" for about two and one-half hours at a time. Unfortunately, I cannot nap during the day...never could. I knew on an intellectual level that the healing process would be long and challenging, but, in all honesty, I am so ready to move on. What happened to the Energizer Bunny? Patience....Ohm!


BTKR 12/28/2015

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@freeriderNC, I am glad you are doing so well! I had tightness and aching in my calves also. I had PT show me specific stretches for the calf and hamstring. It really did make a difference for me. I hope you can find some relief.
 
Thanks @Timetolive I think I do every stretch there is LOL I think I'm going to the YMCA today to do some there and then soak my bones in the hot tub. This yucky weather we having is not helping much with motivating me out today though. The Zanaflex 4mg seems to help some at night, I saw where someone posted wrapping your legs in saran wrap. I also need to wear my compression stockings more Hope you have a blessed day
 
The weather is abysmal! My knee aches when it rains. I am a BIG proponent of the Saran Wrap! it is the only way I can sleep sometimes. There is a YouTube video on here or you can google "wrapping knee in Saran Wrap after total knee replacement" and find it. I don't use the lotion anymore. It will feel odd the first time you do it, but try it more than once. My knee gets sweaty underneath the Saran Wrap, but the swelling will be out of it! It seems to keep the heat in the knee also. My thighs are very heavy and the thigh high compression stocking is so uncomfortable. The OS told me to wear it when I could since I have swelling still. If you get out today, be careful. Have a wonderful day.
 
@GratefulNana I also, have never been able to nap during the day. some people take naps (my husband one) for 2 hours in the evening. That's more than I sleep at a time. I have always only slept no more than 6 hours no matter how late I go to bed. But its always been straight sound sleeping. I miss sleeping in our bed with my husband. Even though it is a King size bed I know I would keep him awake and he is afraid he will kick my knee, because he moves his legs a lot. We will get there. 46 years of marriage and it really feels weird sleeping in the spare bedroom. Hope you continue to get better also. I agree with you Where is the energy and when do you get that back. I tire so easy. But I make myself keep moving. Sometimes its worse if you do too much and then again if you don't you really get stiff. Like a fine line. Take care
 
@Timetolive the compression stocking. only come to the top of my knee(not over the knees) I was wear those because my feet still swell so bad. Cant get shoes on. Even some I bought too big for this problem after surgery. Only some crocks. I'll check out the saran wrap. I have a wedge in the bed and elevate up on them some when I wake up. Then that gets uncomfortable. I can even lay on my side like normal sometimes. If I lay with my legs straight out in the bed it really is uncomfortable. Weird, how I couldn't bend now all I want is them bending.
 
PT told me if I get in hot tub to be sure and get back in pool to cool the knees down. The pool is 80 degrees but feels very cold after hot tub. I always hated anything Cold on my knees before surgery. Cold just hurts arthritis now I want Ice on them. :)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom