Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR FreeriderNC's Recovery Thread - Update

Thanks ScooperTR. I have been doing great Glad to hear you are also. Had a wonderful Christmas. Not our traditional one we use to since momma down. But the family came together & made it happen. We always eat chicken stew on Christmas Eve then open presents. They ordered Lexington style barbecue It Was delicious My oldest son & daughter in law & our 3 beautiful grand babies live right beside us. You know them babies are the best medicine ever. Christmas dinner next day was cooked by hubby & my other 2 kids I had done my Christmas shopping before surgery so my oldest granddaughter came over & wrapped I haven't been able to get in the site and really missed it. I'm thru with 3 weeks Home PT as of last Friday Outpatient PT starts Tuesday 3X a week for 4 weeks I had my follow-up on Dec 21. That was rough, painful and exhausting My hubby & son got me down our 4 steps (hubby had car pulled right to last steps)' 25 mins later I'm in the car & on the way Took extra pain med (as directed by dr) 16 mile drive bawling with muscle spasms. Had my hubby crying for me I felt like such a whimp but man it was excruciating. We arrived at patient drop off staff members brought wheel chair out & helped hubby Yay I'm in not long wait at all X-rays at 6 different views having to stand & hold to a bar. Some of the positioning needed to get other Xrays (Ouchie) now back in room my wonderful Dr comes in. Shows hubby & I my knew implant. Everything was great Looked great he said. Now he proceeded to remove the thick waterproof bandages. My incision were glued (no staples) used. Removing the bandages I screamed so loud I couldn't help myself. He said it should not be that painful so I could have had some sort of sensitivity to the bandage itself Finally got it off but mind you I another one in the other knee too . It really left red around the knee not on incision Like ripping duct tape off He said I was so tense & I mentioned the terrible muscle spasms I said yea my PT said same thing. Scared they would let my leg drop while holding it He prescribed 2mg of Valium. Never took that before but man did it ever help so much. Helped me relax & sleep better too I don't have them anymore (knock on wood) My lift chair has been a blessing so glad I invested in Best money I ever spent. Still sleeping in ut it I



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lexington Barbeue sounds perfect! I am glad you had a nice Christmas. Reading your description of your trip to the doctor made me winch with you. I am so sorry you had so much pain - I remember those first days riding and every bump in the road was excruciating. I hope you have a restful day.
 
Wow I was very long winded on that reply. But just so glad I can get back on the site I posted photos of my knees looking even better now The glued residue is flaking off like a sunburned skin. Its tight and feels stretched A friend mentioned using a triple Antibiotic grease like Neosporin I did that one time & it felt a lot better. But dr. said I should not put anything on the incision except for soap and water and not scrub it. It is completely closed up looks like I will have a minimal scar


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's too early to put anything on your incision right now. The glue will flake off all by itself. I was very conservative with my incision and waited almost 2 months before using Palmer's on it. I'm happy to hear you had a good Christmas and it is nice to get back on BS.
 
I used creamy baby lotin on my entire leg and knee except over the scar to try to get rid of that tight feeling. It did help. When I had the OK to put something on my scar I as told to us vitamin E cream to massage it twice a day. I think that I was about three months out though.
 
Yum Lexington barbecue... Was it from Speedys? We lived in Kannapolis for 10 years. My first dr visit is wed. He rescheduled during Christmas holidays. Excited to go and ask some questions. Grandbabies do help with this recovery. They are just precious and sure get our minds off our knees. I start OP PT Thursday. We are through the first part now on to regaining mobility!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
But dr. said I should not put anything on the incision except for soap and water and not scrub it. It is completely closed up looks like I will have a minimal scar
I agree---do not worry about putting anything on it---just let it heal. I did not ut any salve or ointment on my scars---they healed fine and, as time went on, they seemed to blend into the skin.
 
Once my scar was completely healed on the surface, I put a little Bio-Oil on it now and then, but only when it was feeling particularly dry. Apart from that, I just used my regular moisturiser on the whole of my leg.
The scar will heal and fade all by itself, so you don't have to put anything on it.
 
Your trip for your check up really made me wince. I am so sorry that the trip was so painful for you. My husband purchased an aluminum loading ramp of sorts from Harbor Freight three years ago when our daughter broke her knee. We have a minivan, so he used the ramp from the porch, across the top of the stairs to the sidewalk to get her out of the house. He then moved the ramp from the sidewalk across the curb into the minivan. He removed one seat in the minivan and she was able to transfer herself to the other seat for safe transit. I hope your next visit is painless.


BTKR Scheduled for 12/28/2015
 
I was able to get on my laptop today. I like the format so much better than the app on my Iphone. Although I can read a lot of others posts I'm unable to respond or see some of the responses to my post. I love the this site and it has been a blessing reading each one. When I got on laptop I had all these alerts where responses to my post. I feel bad that I was unable to see them. I wonder why that is? using my Iphone I get thru the nights looking at the recovery for everyone. Myself I am doing excellent other than my feet are so swollen I elevate a lot but does not seem to help. I have a very small foot like 5 1/2 shoe size ...I have shoes that are 2 sizes too big as suggested and they will not go on my feet. I start outpatient therapy tomorrow my home therapy for 3 weeks ended last Thursday. I guess I will be in flip flops. in 20 degree weather :) My kids were amazed at how much I had progressed when they came on New Years Day. I'm truly amazed myself. Does anyone think night last longer? I have always been a morning person so Im usually up by 5:30 am no matter how late I go to sleep My husband bought this awesome tray with 2 cup holders on it and I can carry all kind of stuff. He purchased it at the drug store that sells medical equipment. He has been in his recliner since I was discharged from hospital on Dec 11. He will not get in the bed. My biggest accomplishment is I can go to the bathroom on my own and Wipe my own fanny. :) He has been doing for a while . I cant stand any kind of dampness next to me and want to be squeaky clean, because I get irritation so easy. I use wipes with the perennial spray and this is what works for me instead of wiping so hard I use a blow dryer to dry my bottom. Works great I know that the trip to the PT is going to be so much easier than the first trip. I do not have staples. Mine was glued and had these huge thick waterproof bandages that really hurt coming off. Gosh worse than 3 layers of duct tape. I screamed and then to know he had to take it off the other knee too. Ochie Dr said it should not be that painful that I could have been very sensitive to the adhesive on the bandage, Yea...came close to punching him. lol and he is a great dr.
Wishing every one the best. Try to give update on my PT experience that I have already heard will be intense. Here is my Rock & soul mate for 46 years. He has been wonderful catering to every whimper and need Be back soon. Hoping and praying everyone has no issues with recovery. Speedy recovery to All. I realize now I made the right choice. And I see why others Never get the other knee don. I wonder why I suffered with them so long. I do recommend Both if you are in good health and are under 65.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] FreeriderNC's Recovery Thread - Update
    recovery my rock right there.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 233
I wanted to give an update on my first Outpatient PT session today. First off the trip down the steps and into the car was so much better....actually 90 percent better. It does make it easier when your knees bend. Of course my amazing husband & oldest son (who lives beside us) came to help. Hubby & I managed to do it. He was just in front of me for support. He said don't worry I got you...I will throw myself under you before I let you get hurt. I've came so far and afraid maybe of having a set back. It truly has been a blessed recovery. I am amazed myself. My PT was gentle but worked me hard. Not a painful but Yes discomfort. Hubby was in there with me and took a few pictures. I wanted video because I have been documenting my progress. He is not one to do that. My youngest son and sister has taken quiet a few. Anyway, The ride down 16 miles was not uncomfortable at all this time. It was great to get out of the house. I was scheduled for 3x a week for 4 weeks. After being evaluated......they agreed I only needed 2x a week :) I have the next 8 appointments already set up. The therapy on Jan 21is also follow up with my dr. So they set it up right before. I was told today that I could use vitamin E, Eucerin thick cream, or mederma, since my incisions is closed up. My knees were so dry and tight. I lubed up with Eucerin after washing gently with a warm rag. I'm seeing another Dr at the facility now. He did help in surgery . Actually PA. I saw my surgeon on first follow up on dec 21. I knew that he was leaving and moving to Washington due to a great promotion his wife got. I hated to see him go. He is a 5 star surgeon. And the great news is he actually made a personal phone call to me tonight to say they had reported to him on how great I was doing. I really thought that was extra special. He said by following protocol and their instructions & my determination had proved how great I was progressing. Pat Pat on my back. can you see me smiling ? I want one of the band straps we used for me to work on leg lifts. They were 20$ there . PT said get one off amazon but now I cant remember what he called it. Cross band or something .I will have to ask Thursday. It has a loop for your hands to hold on to it. I just want to thank everyone for all the advise and encouraging words. I pray for each and every one that their recovery is going well. I still use my pain pills but...instead of every 4 hours I find that it is 5 or 6 sometimes. I was using an alarm on my phone so that I could stay ahead of the pain. Ever since he prescribed the 2mg of valium my muscle spasms are minimal if any, Helps me sleep too. My hips are sore from the therapy but not my knees, So is my weak stomach muscles. Lol Later gators. wishing everyone a blessed night
 
Wow, isn't it amazing the difference a week makes. I don't start OP PT until Thurs. I've been kinda nervous but after your post it has given me courage. Be careful feeling better.. I get to feeling good then overdo then pay for it later in day. I always wanted a piece of property where family could live close by. You are lucky. We lived in Kannapolis from 1996-2006. My daughters went to NW cabarrus. We had thought to retire in Huntersville but found this beautiful small town called Travelers Rest right outside of Greenville. We love it here. My daughter lives about 4 miles from me but my other daughter still lives in Concord. Take care and hope everyday brings you increased mobility.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations! I'm glad it went well, with no pain. Twice a week sounds good, especially since it's 16 miles away and getting there can be exhausting. I'm sure you're tired and hoping you were able to sleep.
 
Wonderful report. You are doing really well. It is great to get out of the house too. That therapist sounds like a winner to me!
 
Anyone use the strap for therapy. you use it to pull your leg straight up. And to other things like pulling back to thigh They sell them at pT but 20$ He said too expensive there. He said check ebay or Amazon. I i think I found one on Ebay. it sure looked like it 7.98 & free shipping. I got me a long hot shower today. The warm water felt great Hair washed and plenty of lotion on, Pain pill are being use bout every 6 or 7 per hour, Normally is 4 hours
 
I'm not sure it's the same thing as a leg lifter. It is stiff nylon with a handle on either end.
 
The home PT people gave me one of those, for doing heel slides while laying on the bed. (I had to provide my own plastic Walmart bag to make things slide easily.) It's nice, in that I can be in full control of exactly how far I want to pull. Whenever they've checked my range of motion, it's been while I was pulling as far as I wanted to go.
 
Thanks...I did find one exactly like they used at PT same brand and all. It was 8$ on eBay and free shipping. The price at the rehab center was $20. Should be here by Saturday. I went back to PT today and boy my thigh muscles are sore and buttocks. I mean that would happen without knee replacement. my ROM was 95 in my right & 100 in my Left :) They had me walk some without the aid of my Walker. That was a little scary and didn't think I could but....amazed that I could. A little swaying and gait wasn't great But I did it . It will be 4 days before therapy again since I only have to go 2 times a week after being evaluated on the first visit Tuesday. So I will be busy getting my heel slides in and ankle pumps. I get up and make several rounds of walking every hour & half. I wake up and just have to Move. It helps so much. My hubby has been fixing all meals and its great. I do not eat it all because he fills the plate so full. So I eat what I need to be full because I so got to get another 30 lbs off. I look forward to when I can go back swimming and walking in the water at the YMCA. My husband takes me to therapy since being bilateral I have no good leg for driving.
 
today has ben an emotional roller coaster. I am truly way ahead on my recovery but for some reason. I started crying feeling sorry for myself. I can do a lot for my self and have always been Super mom. Even though our nest is empty since October when I youngest son got married. The house is quiet and our sweet grandkids live nest door as I have mentioned. My husband has taken so care of me. Just ready to be 100--%. So I have been documenting my journey and posting it on Face book. So today I looked at where I was 4 weeks ago with surgery Dec 8 . It puts me back in good spirits. I still have a bumpy road ahead I have not had pain with therapy or my knees. All my other muscles (out of shape) muscles that ache I.m truly blessed with a great recovery so Im going to blame the emotions on the medications. Im praying and have each and everyone of you in my prayers. Until next time God Bless you all
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom