Bilateral TKR FreeriderNC's Recovery Thread - Update

today has ben an emotional roller coaster. I am truly way ahead on my recovery but for some reason. I started crying feeling sorry for myself. I can do a lot for my self and have always been Super mom. Even though our nest is empty since October when I youg
 
O that darn roller coaster again. It just never seems to end. Then all of the sudden you will find your way off and there will be no looking back!
 
@freeriderNC thank you for your posts and photos. You are doing so well! Not just physically but emotionally too - despite the occasional blues that seem to hit just about everyone. You are so blessed to have a such a loving partner and it's wonderful to hear how much you appreciate him. You are entering the time in this recovery when progress seems slower, but it is still happening! I will be 4 months postop on Sunday, and I still see improvements from week to week.
 
The roller coaster goes up and down. It's typical yo get emotional and weepy even when you're dong well, there's no reasoning behind it at all. Just know you're not alone. We were all a weepy mess at some point.
 
Hi @freeriderNC, I've been following your progress and I'm so grateful for your postings. I'm getting ready for my BTKR Monday at 5 am. I won't lie to you, I'm a bit apprehensive and nervous but certainly ready to start the progress. Please stay positive and keep posting. Your postings are so helpful! We are all watching and wish you the best.
 
You are doing great. That emotional stuff just comes and goes - no rhyme or reason. My Darling is so understanding about it now. Like you, I am blessed with a wonderful husband that has been through it every step of the way. Hang in there. Tomorrow will be a good day!
 
Hi @freeriderNC, I've been following your progress and I'm so grateful for your postings. I'm getting ready for my BTKR Monday at 5 am. I won't lie to you, I'm a bit apprehensive and nervous but certainly ready to start the progress. Please stay positive and keep posting. Your postings are so helpful! We are all watching and wish you the best.
Wishing the best. I was so nervous when Dr said both should be done because they were both so bad. Lots of people will say I can't believe you did both at one time. I know now it was the best thing I could have done LIKE Dr said one event one anesthesia and one recovery And one hospital bill Do exactly what they tell you to do Follow all instructions I spent 4 days in hospital including surgery date. Getting into the house was a challenge 4 steps using your walker & hubby behind & oldest son who lives right beside of us. I was wore out & first thing was Ice & elevation You will do fine. My recovery has gone very well Im still amazed. I don't Know if I will be ready for Daytona bike week in March but definitely will
[Bonesmart.org] FreeriderNC's Recovery Thread - Update
and another one of my progress PT wants me to walk short distances with out walker. Hubby near by I guess we can't post video I'm 4 weeks post op. Sending prayers so
[Bonesmart.org] FreeriderNC's Recovery Thread - Update
 
Hi @freeriderNC, I get lots of glares when I say "Bilateral", both my knees are shot, but I had to see 4 OSs before the last one agreed to do both, many Docs are afraid of liability. I just wanted to get it all done one, Hospital stay, one anesthesia, one recuperation, even it takes a little longer. I'm making last minute preparations and "trying" to leave everything in order as best I can. Hubby has been an angel and running around helping and saying "yes" to everything I ask. I'm a little worried as I always am before surgery but I'm sure it will be OK. Congratulations on your 4 week anniversary, keep up with the process and I'm sure you will make it to Daytona, two months will make a world of difference.
 
I dint know what to expect but.....so glad that I did have the bilateral. My dr suggested it to me. I had made the decision I had hurt long enough and was tired of all the cortisone shots and gel injections for 4 years. So when I said ok Im ready. They x-rayed my my knee again and then had them x-rayed the right. I knew they both hurt one as bad as the other, So when he showed me the xrays it was bone on bone on both. We can do them both(my mouth flew open) _ and explained why it would be best. So I thought he knew what he was talking about and I trusted him but was also very nervous to say the least. The first 2 weeks is especially hard. They teach you to sit on the toilet with out bending legs. You have to walk them out as you are lowering your self. I peed on many of my socks to tell you the truth. No big deal. Home therapy came after I was discharged from being in the hospital for 4 days. they came the very next day. I was told by dr & PT there is a 3 week window to keep scar tissue from building up that will affect your range of motion at first. PT should only be gentle ankle pumps and heel slides. DO not let them hurt you. Should Not hurt and don't be afraid to tell them. Stop. Do Not let them bend your knee with pain. You need time to heal inside and the rest of the therapy will come later. When is your surgery taking place? Best wishes to you. You will be fine
 
I was told by dr & PT there is a 3 week window to keep scar tissue from building up that will affect your range of motion at first.
That's a myth. There is no window of opportunity and bad scar tissue won't build up.
 
This was 3 hours after surgery. I still had spinal nerve block that lasted for about 8 hours after surgery. I was amazed. The next day was a little different with the spinal nerve block worn off, but they managed my pain with IV meds of toradol and also Dilaudid pill form. which is stronger than morphine I was told. Started me out on time released 12 hour oxycoten and oxycodone every 4 hours, I could not handle that it knocked me loopy and made me very nauseated to the point I couldn't do PT. Dr changed my meds. Even though what he gave me was stronger I tolerated it great. The toradol every 6 hours in iV was for muscle spasm. FDA wi;; not allow them to give you narcotics on a regular schedule. You have to ask for it, They wrote it on my board when they gave it to me and I sat my alarm on my phone so that I could stay ahead of the pain. Also she said if you are sleeping we can not wake you up to give you pain meds unless you request us to check on you. Heck yea!!! Wake my butt up. Lol They would just ask how I was feeling and if I was hurting. I said yes please give me my pain medicine, That's crazy I know. They even told us that in a pre-op meeting that I went to. So don't let them get behind on your pain meds because it takes to long to get in back in your system. :)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] FreeriderNC's Recovery Thread - Update
    3 hours after surgery.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 219
Myth or not I followed the doctors advise. my surgeon told me on my follow up 2 weeks later that if scar tissue build up that he would have to break it loose. So I did not my heel slides and ankle pumps and gentle bending. I wasn't taking any chances . :)
 
Myth or not I followed the doctors advise. my surgeon told me on my follow up 2 weeks later that if scar tissue build up that he would have to break it loose. So I did not my heel slides and ankle pumps and gentle bending. I wasn't taking any chances
That's OK. But so many people get pushed or frightened into exercising madly and that irritates their poor knee, doing more harm than good. I'm glad you didn't.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

When they talk about scar tissue forming, they're actually talking about abnormal scar tissue, which is called adhesions. You need normal scar tissue to heal your wound, or else it would fall apart again.
Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?
 
Hi @MerciQ If I read your blog correct you have had your surgery by now. How are you doing? I hope that you are doing well.
 
Just wanted to say that I'm feeling great. Snowed here today and got all my pictures from the windows with my Zoom Nikon. It is one of my worse fears is that I might fall. I'm using a cane most of the time now Im trying to do more helping. cleaning my own dishes, ;) I don't know about anyone elde but Im very stiff when I wake up.. takes a while to get moving, Buy one thing I do know that I thank the Lord every day for helping me have a great recovery. I'm super tired tonight but I think Im going to go lay down in the spare room t o watch a little TV.. Good night my friends Have peaceful night
 
So glad to hear you're doing well. Do be careful with all the snow. It's still just fine to take things a bit easy as you're still in the early stages of recovery.

You may notice that I've merged your latest thread into your original recovery thread. We do need to keep updates like this in one thread so it's easy to refer back to where you were at any given time in recovery. If you want something different for a thread title (I did add the word "update"), just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Take care and stay warm!!
 
Hi @freeriderNC, it took me a while to update. Had Wi-Fi issues. Take a look under my recovery thread. I'm very pleased with my progress, still in early stages, but confident it will get better, especially with my "cranky" right knee. Looks like you're doing great. Keep it up.
 
Thanks @Jamie This blogging is new to me and thanks so much to moving my threads to where they are suppose to be, I'm on a cane now for short distances but....my PT wants me to come in with it tomorrow Tuesday 26. I just got me a ice bag for my walker to carry wallet and things in. So I have moved my things to a small back pack I use the cane in the house a good bit. I even find myself leaving it standing and walking off with out it. Myself I still have stiffness and some quick zingers from time to time. My feet will not stop swelling. I wear compression socks during the day. I had new x-rays last week again & OS said everything looked great, They sent me copies of them since Im documenting my surgery. I am sleeping in the bed we setup for me when discharged. I sleep good for about 2 hours. My legs get stiff and even at rest I have them moving with heel slides and toes stretches I get up from recliner and walk around about every hour. I find standing is the most painful for me. I can walk better than standing one place. Hoping by strengthening the thighs and hamstrings this will help. I would love to get water therapy, I belong to the Y and He gave me the ok to get in pool water but I want to be able to drive myself. I run my husband so much now . So I think I will give it a week more, I still wear shorts because even light weight material Is sensitive to tough. I massage 3 to 5 times a day with vitamin E pT said also use rag light rubbing scare when in shower to help with this, I feel like Im doing great. My ROM was the same last week and didn't go up any. PT said I would have that from time to time and you cant get as much when it swollen, They put weights on my ankles last week and I did leg raises while knees are over a roll pillow I think the recumbent bike tomorrow. Everyone I pray you have a good peaceful night
 
Keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom