• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

PKR Are knee recoveries harder than hips?

Katrinka1957

Country
United States United States
Hi
I had a TLHR on March 13, 2024, and have been doing great. I just found out I'll be having a MAKO Robot-Assisted PLKR on May 24th!!! OMG how crazy! I am happy to get this taken care of instead of living with this excruciating pain for the next 2+ months. I heard knees are more painful than hips, is that true or does it just depend on the individual?

I appreciate this forum and the hard work put in by the dedicated volunteers.
Thank You so much

Katrinka

@Katrinka1957 I moved your post out of the surgery team thread and started a pre op thread for you, so you can get replies about knees vs hips. I’ve ”only” had a PKR, no THR’s, but I’ve read other members say knees are harder to recover from, even partials!

Just keep in mind, just because a PKR only replaces one section of the knee, much of the procedure is still the same as a TKR, in that there is almost the same disruption and trauma to the whole general area, so the recovery is about the same. Recovery times between PKR and TKR vary more due to how our body reacts to the surgery and our own healing timeframe, than because the procedure is “less” than a TKR.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:

Please tell us which partial you’re getting, Medial, Patellofemoral or Lateral, and we’ll add that to your signature. :flwrysmile:

Thank you for verifying what I was afraid of. I'm getting the partial Knee - Medial. There's not much I can do about it, the cartilage is gone leaving me w/severe bone on bone articulation of the medial compartment. They also found large osteophyte formations with increased sclerosis and subchondral changes so here we go with yet another joint needing replacement. Thank you osteoarthritis for being such a good friend!

Be prepared, not necessarily for "more pain," but for a longer recovery with more ups and downs.

For me, a big part of getting through both knees in one year with sanity intact was deciding up front that my knees would be running the show, not my other needs or priorities, for as many months as it would take.

A lot of the helpful equipment and prep will be the same as for a hip: ice machine if you can get one; elevated toilet seat, shower bench, reacher-grabber. Making a nest for comfortable elevation during the day with all your needs within reach. Maybe precooking a bunch of favorite entrees and stocking up on broths and protein rich snacks.

Thanks for your helpful input. I hadn't thought about buying an ice machine but that's a great idea, I iced my hip all the time for about 3 weeks, and my ice packs weren't getting frozen all the way. They got cold enough but...

Did you have or need help? My husband is taking a week off and my brother is coming to help my mom and me if I need it.
Just knowing the recovery will be a longer process helps. What did you mean by ups and downs? Is that progress-related or state of mind?

Fortunately, I have all the equipment from my hip replacement except for a shower bench. If I got a shower bench, I'd need a handheld shower which might be nice. lol
I made a big pot of stew and put it in freezer containers. You're right, having homemade food makes a big difference when you're stuck. Good idea on the snacks!!

With the ice machine - at least with the Bregg cube it's easy to use four of the 12 ounce water bottles, fully frozen, instead of ice cubes.

Having your husband home full time for a week will be a huge help.

I couldn't do food prep, even assembling a basic uncooked lunch, for a couple of weeks but within a week could at least toilet and attend to hygiene needs, and fetch a beverage, independently.

If your brother will be available at least a couple of times a day to ensure you have food and beverages and swap out the frozen water bottles, that will be a huge help!

Please do make sure you have pockets or some way to always have your phone physically on you when you're alone!

Did you have or need help? My husband is taking a week off and my brother is coming to help my mom and me if I need it.
I think you will definitely need help - ideally for at least 2-3 weeks. I know people do manage on their own but it is tough. It does depend also on your home environment. I have a three storey house with smaller steps between kitchen / living room and no toilet on the ground floor. I also have difficult steps down from my front door- and at thst time I had no handrail there.I could have managed alone earlier if I had had a ground floor flat.

I never had, or needed, a shower bench. I was able to manage a shower, standing, from 2 days after surgery. I do have a shower stall, with about a 6” thing I have to step over, to get in it.

Thank you both! These answers help a lot! Thankfully, I have a single-story street-level condo w/o stairs. Our shower is in the bathtub though and that's about a 12-16" rise. Do you foresee an issue getting in? Otherwise, I think I'll be fine taking a shower.
This sure seems more complicated than my hip.

Before you leave the hospital a PT should show you the best way to step over a tub, to get in. It will be a bit difficult because you won’t be able to bend your operated knee very well for a while.

I never did understand the use of a shower bench, it seems you’d still have to bend your knee to some extent to use it, but many knee members have them and like them.

If you managed getting in the tub for a shower after your THR, my guess is that it would be similar this time.

never did understand the use of a shower bench, it seems you’d still have to bend your knee to some extent to use it
I had a shower stool and liked it.
I had pretty good bend from early on but didn't feel that steady standing early on- particularly on a potentially slippy surface. I guess it's about working out what works/ is needed for your body and home.

I had an added difficulty of no weight bearing for a month after my first replacement because I also had an osteotomy. Shower chair was the only way I could shower. I have a shower only with a 3 inch step up. Initially, my leg stuck out of the shower. Used it, but not as long, with my 2nd replacement. My mom also used one when she had her hip replacement.
Consider your toilet setup too. Do you have stuff sturdy enough to help you up? When you are sitting, are your knees higher than your hips? If so, I recommend getting a tall toilet seat with handles. First day home, I had to have someone help me until my dad bought one of these toilet seats for me. Never thought I'd be happy for a toilet seat with handles at 36 years old.

Yes, knees are “worse” than hips. We’re all different and while I had no pain, I was very swollen and bruised. Exhaustion was a thing for me as well. That’s one reason I used a transfer bench in the tub. I was afraid I’d fall just to being tired.

Marie

Hello and Happy Monday, Katrinka!
Check these items out and see if you feel they may benefit you in getting into the shower...

Bathtub Grab Bar Safety Rail - Here
Slip Resistant Bath Step - Here

Best Wishes for a good week!
@Katrinka1957

Hi there,

I'm 6 months out from my rt medial PKR, and yep, "hips are easier than knees" some of my cycling pals had their hips done and were out riding and having a good old time, sleeping well, minimal discomfort and I was still using a walker or cane, and happy when I could go up a flight of stairs!

I think it took a good 4 months for me to feel good. I used a cane or walker for about 6 weeks, though mostly for out of the house excursions. Sleep was an issue for about 3-4 months. I was off serious pain meds at 3 weeks, but on a bit of gabapentin for sleep and nighttime pain.

I had my great ROM at about 2 weeks, did well in PT, used my ice machine after activity for about 4 months, was pretty hooked on the thing for the first 2 months, would use it for hours while on the couch.

My husband works from home so was able to help, or supervise me. He gave me the lovenox shots since I would be more than happy to give anyone a shot except myself. Managing meds was a challenge since I would forget when I took pain meds, we kept a chart to keep track. I called him the CandyMan as he doled out the pain meds.

I got a lot of knitting done! Easy projects only, any complex projects wouldn't go too well.

At 6 months I am just beginning a running program, riding or hiking and getting in 3+ hours, doing pilates, sleeping well. Last thing to resolve is occasional jabs of posterior knee pain, that I notice after kneeling and then straightening my knee. If I do a yogic childs pose and straighten my knee I feel it, so I laid off childs pose for now.

no more tylenol, pain meds, aspirin or non steroidals. I feel so much better than I did pre op and realize how much a drag my knee was. I wasn't bone on bone but getting close and had a pretty shredded meniscus, baker's cyst, osteophytes etc.

Good luck! Not a walk in the park, and don't let anyone say "its just a partial..." still is just as brutal as a total --and maybe even a bit worse since I think surgery flares up the other not so bad bits of arthritis in the other compartments!

Liz

These posts are very helpful. I had a TLHR 5 months ago. I'm doing very well at this stage of recovery, no hip pain at all. Pretty much back to normal except for my knees! They've been bone on bone for years but the only pain I've had from them is when getting up from a lower seat ( I'm 5'9"). But since my hip surgery they are getting worse, especially on my non operated side. Because my hip surgery has been so successful, I now want to consider getting my knee(s) done. So, I'm wondering WHY is the knee surgery recovery more difficult than the hip?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom