THR Follow the yellow brick road....

@oznut Great news that you are doing so well. I agree about the cane and walker. Walker killed my hands and wrists mainly because I was so concerned about weight bearing ( had both hips done) I moved to a cane at 2 Wells and thought the same thing... Baby steps are fine. Not needed. Then!!! As I practiced on elongating my stride by about 3 Wells in, I realized I had some come out of nowhere pains and glitches with leg 1 or 2 cooperating... And the cane was essential for balance unless you are walking bear enough to something for bracing on. I'm funny, I use it to help get up, for first few steps, then carry it which looks stupid. But it's there if I have an unexpected issue. I certainly don't want to fall and have ANY complication as I've come so far. Be really careful as things get better, new pains come up.

Thank you. I am impressed you could handle 2 at once but everyday has new challenges & we are now bionic & getting stronger by the day! It is hard to be patient, huh?

Take care! :wave:

Hope all is well with you. Your posts are very supportive and it sounds like you are very responsible about your recovery.
My great niece saw my x-rays with my new hips and she loves to think of me as bionic. She is 8 and mischievous. She told her little friend, if you are bad, my Aunt Jodi will bump you with her metal hips and you'll be flying crops the room. Hysterical!!!

5 weeks & 2 days but still counting down to driving, being cane free & returning to work.....

I have a question for those in the know. I will complete my 6 weeks of Celebrex & baby Aspirin
this week (YAY). I still take Melatonin at bedtime....BUT any thoughts about starting back on supplements??
I was taking Glucosamine/Chondrotin, Tumeric & Vitamin D pre-op.

Thinking about restarting & adding Calcium but honestly I prefer less than more but open to anything that will keep my bones & immunity strong!

:tiredwheel:

I wonder also about the glucosamine chondroitin supplements. I have been taking extra vitamin C before and since surgery and feel like it has promoted healing and boosted my immune system. My energy levels are still at a low and hope this helps ward off illness as I don't want to get sick right now.
I've been driving short distances as of five weeks out but live in a small town with not do much traffic. Maybe seems a little paranoid but can't even fathom being in a wreck. I'm protecting these new hips!!!!

@oznut the hospital put me on vitamins and minerals and I was advised to continue on at home as per the hospitalist dr. I took a multi B vitamin and mins that included veggie iron, zinc, CitraCal and then D and E.. every couple of days, nothing too intense as I eat well. Never had much luck with glucosamine/chondroitin supplements but will finish off the bottle lol. Be sure to check with your Dr if still on meds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for weighing in....today I finally hit the 6 week mark. I just took my last dose of Celebrex & baby aspirin....yipppeeeee!!!! I drove to the library yesterday & then to get some ice cream for a treat! I am
also cane free sooooooooo just need to have my official follow-up appointment & xray next week before I
start back to some light gym time (fingers crossed).

PS - Check out Turmeric supplements.....all my research & anecdotal info points to a big yes!!!
Tomorrow I will start but will skip the Osteo Bio-Flex horse pills & see how it goes. The Turmeric is
a safe & highly touted anti-inflammatory. :happydance:

I can testify that there are good days 7 not so good days. I have some aching in my lat quad this morning. I am wondering if going off the Celebrex & baby aspirin are the cause. I started the Turmeric & still getting around but reluctant to take any other meds. Ice & rest & a shorter walk in the cards today....sigh. :shrug:

Oznut, I found that I needed to stay on Celebrex for a good 5 months after my first THR, and for 9 months after the second. Each time I dropped it, soft tissue pain would creep back in to an unpleasant level. In the last two months, I started taking it every other day, and that turned out to be a great way to wean off it. Six weeks is very early to be off all meds, especially since as you start to feel so much better, you start to do so much more. It's a balancing act for a long time, where you want to pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Pain usually means you are doing too much and/or you are under-medicated. So drop meds gradually and in small increments; add activity gradually and in small increments. (Kind of like investment strategy advice...buy low; sell high) :)

Sharon

Oznut, I found that I needed to stay on Celebrex for a good 5 months after my first THR, and for 9 months after the second. Each time I dropped it, soft tissue pain would creep back in to an unpleasant level. In the last two months, I started taking it every other day, and that turned out to be a great way to wean off it. Six weeks is very early to be off all meds, especially since as you start to feel so much better, you start to do so much more. It's a balancing act for a long time, where you want to pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Pain usually means you are doing too much and/or you are under-medicated. So drop meds gradually and in small increments; add activity gradually and in small increments. (Kind of like investment strategy advice...buy low; sell high) :)

Sharon

Thanks Sharon. That makes total sense. I can definitely tell the difference without it. I don't want to regress & the pain is trying to tell me something. I may try an Extra Strength Tylenol & keep up the Turmeric.
I see my doc next week for xray....baby steps, right? :tiredwheel: I am so ready to get back into some normalcy....

Got my walking papers....literally. My follow-up appointment yesterday went well. I am in awe of my xrays.....all that titanium that wasn't there 8 months ago! Today I did 30 minutes (2.2 miles) on level 1-2 on the eliptical & felt
pretty good.....I return to my part-time work in 2 weeks & feel ready.

Thanks for all the support, kindness & wisdom. I wish everyone nothing but a pain free, more mobile existence!
:egypdance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics