THR Follow the yellow brick road....

I have passed the 6 week mark & given the green light to do some elliptical & stationary cycling. I was reluctant to go to the gym solo so my hubby used the machine next to mine. It felt great & I lasted 30 minutes but paid for the next day. I am not sure if it was the increase in activity or the fact that I completed my 6 weeks course of prescribed NSAIDs. I am frustrated by the fact that I still have a limp & need for the cane although I try to go without. Those first 2-3 steps after getting up from a chair are a challenge. I thought I would be further along at this point & it is getting me down. Am I being that unrealistic? :bicycle2:
 
Hi @oznut. Its not that your being unrealistic its just that when we start to get better we want to drive on to full health. I got 2 hips done and can you imagine my frustration when one was much slower that the other though you are way ahead of where I was at 6 weeks. Take your time and don't rush things and you'll get there for sure.
Somewhere just over the rainbow is a better more active future.
Joe........
 
Am I being that unrealistic?
Short answer - no! At 6 weeks out you should not be doing all that in the gym. And yes, you may still need your pain controlled. If you are out of medication I would suggest you see your family doctor.
I am frustrated by the fact that I still have a limp & need for the cane although I try to go without.
Stay with the cane until you are totally confident and no longer limping. You are doing more damage trying to go without a walking aid.

I am afraid that if you keep pushing as you are doing you may indeed create long term chronic pain issues. 6 weeks out of major surgery is still very early out. Please slow down and let your body recover.
 
Hi @oznut. Its not that your being unrealistic its just that when we start to get better we want to drive on to full health. I got 2 hips done and can you imagine my frustration when one was much slower that the other though you are way ahead of where I was at 6 weeks. Take your time and don't rush things and you'll get there for sure.
Somewhere just over the rainbow is a better more active future.
Joe........

Thanks for taking the time for the reality check. I will try to take it down a notch & keep the cane close by.
I am not the most patient person but thought I was being conservative - now I think I am also dealing with cabin fever! Happy New Year & here's to our health! :dancy:
 
Short answer - no! At 6 weeks out you should not be doing all that in the gym. And yes, you may still need your pain controlled. If you are out of medication I would suggest you see your family doctor.
Stay with the cane until you are totally confident and no longer limping. You are doing more damage trying to go without a walking aid.

I am afraid that if you keep pushing as you are doing you may indeed create long term chronic pain issues. 6 weeks out of major surgery is still very early out. Please slow down and let your body recover.

Thanks Jaycey. I agree & will keep my cane close by....just impatient to pack it away & try to get some core strength & normalcy back. I am going back to work on Thursday but only for half days 2 days a week BUT will be sure to have my cane handy! H-a/i-ppy New Year!! :spin:
 
  • I am 7 weeks post THR #1 today but will need to do #2 later this year but really needed to see where I am in relationship to where I hope to be in the journey. I was started to get discouraged that I wasn't progressing as fast as I hoped since I was fairly active pre-op despite bone on bone pain. The recovery timeline chart (thanks to Josephine) helps me see a realistic timeline & I am a visual learner. I want so bad to ditch the cane & get back into some exercise but my hips are not getting the message. We have a vacation scheduled at the 14 month mark....I really need one! :cool:
  • PS - There is no way the extra 10 pounds I am carrying around post surgery is helping my core strength, hips, mobility & conditioning....ughhhh
 
Be patient @oznut. Long term physical integrity is at stake if you rush things now. Plenty of time for strengthening when you are all healed up. Set backs can happen easily when we feel stable and secure with our new hips, and start pushing it with activities we had long forgotten about - but it takes four months for that capsule to heal.

As you know, we're in the same boat - working on one good new hip, wobbling on the old hip! Not an easy recovery. All my muscles have wasted due to lack of use these past couple of years. I have gained weight too, nothing fits! Please take care. One day we will re-discover those muscles and strength.
 
I want so bad to ditch the cane & get back into some exercise but my hips are not getting the message.
Your hip is in charge and unfortunately there is nothing you can do to rush this recovery. Slow and steady is the best approach. Don't think too far ahead. 14 weeks out sounds good for a holiday.
 
Be patient @oznut. Long term physical integrity is at stake if you rush things now. Plenty of time for strengthening when you are all healed up. Set backs can happen easily when we feel stable and secure with our new hips, and start pushing it with activities we had long forgotten about - but it takes four months for that capsule to heal.

As you know, we're in the same boat - working on one good new hip, wobbling on the old hip! Not an easy recovery. All my muscles have wasted due to lack of use these past couple of years. I have gained weight too, nothing fits! Please take care. One day we will re-discover those muscles and strength.

Excellent advice! It helps to know my reality is not outside the box. I managed well at work yesterday but it was only 4 hours & I wasn't overly busy. I am only going to work 2 days a week for 4 hours a day for at least the next 2 weeks. I need to exercise my brain too!

Are you still taking NSAIDs? I am thinking of planning for the next surgery in the summer.....it might be easier to recovery with less clothes to take on & off! lol :cheers:
 
I'd say plan for hip 2 ASAP, as the deterioration can be rapid. Then you can actually enjoy summer fully fitted out. Wish I could get mine done now, but it's up to the public system here in Australia - the OS has no say in it.

Yes, still need the NSAIDS and OTC Panadol for the poor old hip, it's getting worse day by day. I try not to take the Mobic every day, perhaps 4 times a week. I take it with an Omeprazole tablet to protect the tum. Can't wait to leave the Mobic behind one day. How about you - still on NSAIDS? Sometimes I need the harder pain killers to get through, but I leave these until really tearful. I've never, ever been pill-taker in life until OA.

Great that work went well, but keep mindful at all times!
 
8 weeks post-op & having a great day! This may have something to do with the break in stormy weather. The sun is out & my mood is so much better. I decided to go with a cortisone injection in my not yet bionic hip before our vacation. I anticipate doing my 2nd THR in the early summer. It will likely be so much easier without worrying about blankets, socks & layers to keep warm.

My limited time at work this week was not bad but surprised at how tired I am after only 4 hours. I really am de-conditioned. Trying to keep my eye on the vacation prize ahead!

Have a great weekend to all you happy hippies!:SUNsmile:
 
I'd say plan for hip 2 ASAP, as the deterioration can be rapid. Then you can actually enjoy summer fully fitted out. Wish I could get mine done now, but it's up to the public system here in Australia - the OS has no say in it.

Yes, still need the NSAIDS and OTC Panadol for the poor old hip, it's getting worse day by day. I try not to take the Mobic every day, perhaps 4 times a week. I take it with an Omeprazole tablet to protect the tum. Can't wait to leave the Mobic behind one day. How about you - still on NSAIDS? Sometimes I need the harder pain killers to get through, but I leave these until really tearful. I've never, ever been pill-taker in life until OA.

Great that work went well, but keep mindful at all times!


I am 10 weeks out now & my new hip is doing great....little to no pain. Still on modified work for 1 more week & getting around 80% of the time without the cane. My other hip is definitely wanting some attention. Some days no problem & some with more weakness than pain. I don't take NSAIDs much - occas. Tylenol Arthritis. I know I am looking at THR #2 sooner than later but in the meantime planning to do a cortisone injection in 2 weeks prior to a long planned cruise vacation. I am hoping for the best but will then will need to wait 3 months after that before I can get on the OR schedule.

Sometimes life is just not fair....I am so tired of being stuck & mostly inactive. I have been to the gym a few times - very slow & limited ellpitical but doesn't feel like I am getting anywhere. I did get a 3" mattress topper which helps with sleep....I can finally sleep on 1 side & stomach to give my back a rest. You are absolutely right....OA stinks! :unsure:
 
@oznut, feel for you in this sense of LIMBo as I call it (one new, one old). Having a comfy bed is essential, good for you. Hope the cortisone gets you through until it's time for surgery and that you have a wonderful holiday afloat! Would be great if you could organise surgery for directly after your trip so you are beautifully rested and relaxed going into it.

I was on my feet alot today, and had to run after someone at one point - oh my, my poor old hip was not happy. I'm now hunched over hobbling like the good ole days. How I coped with two hips like this I don't know (well, I didn't). On the positive side, my new hip coped like a champion today, smooth as silk, no aches or pains.

I'm also so fed up not being able to progress. All my muscles have withered. I went to see an exercise physiologist yesterday who was really tuned in to my predicament. She has given me a few exercises to do for the new hip, which put no stress on the old one. Basically, one-legged exercises!

Recovering on a lovely new hip will be a dream for us. Imagine the walking we can do! I plan to make that time my 'real' rehabilitation, and look forward to all that increased health, strength and wellbeing - and muscle tone!!
 
I love your positivity. There should be a separate folder for the LIMBo!! I am so happy with my new hip but I guess the old one must be jealous. I am thinking of seeing a local chiropractor to see about cold laser therapy. I am open to trying anything at this point just to bide some time & maybe have more pain free days! Keep me posted on how the exercises go. My orthopedist wants me to focus on just walking but I need to step it up!! I have gained about 10 pounds....ugh. At least in Australia you are having warm weather which would be lovely for swimming....that's not happening here anytime soon!

Have a great weekend! :spin: Gung Hay Fat Choy!!
 
My orthopedist wants me to focus on just walking but I need to step it up!!
Walking is the best exercise for new hips. Please don't worry about the weight gain. Once you get that second hip done I'll bet the pounds drop with your increased activity.
 
Did you have posterior or anterior THR ?


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a silly question....I passed the 11 week mark. My bionic hip feels good but my non-bionic hip is giving me some grief. If I need to use the cane for support (usually stairs)....can I switch the cane to the other side now?
 
@oznut.
Delighted your new hip is performing well.
I stand to be corrected here but if you want to support the creaky hip so to speak then you use the cane on the opposite side ( new hip side) and move both cane and old hip together. I guess try it out and see how it goes.
I'd agree that the sooner the better you get the other hip done. You'll be flying then.
Best wishes on your continuing journey.
Joe.......
 
@oznut.
Delighted your new hip is performing well.
I stand to be corrected here but if you want to support the creaky hip so to speak then you use the cane on the opposite side ( new hip side) and move both cane and old hip together. I guess try it out and see how it goes.
I'd agree that the sooner the better you get the other hip done. You'll be flying then.
Best wishes on your continuing journey.
Joe.......

Thanks Joe! I agree....THR #2 is inevitable but I am impatient & in denial. I really was hoping for a little respite for me & my family. Cortisone this week -> vacation -> then I can schedule surgery 3-4 months from now.
Stay tuned & thanks for your kind words of encouragement. :thankyou:
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom