THR Follow the yellow brick road....

Today is my 12 week anniversary! I am happy to report that just yesterday I had a amazing day of walking normally!!! That sounds crazy but I guess I have been putting lots of focus on walking. It's liberating not to have to think about it but frankly not sure this will last. I am scheduled for cortisone injection in my "old tired" hip tomorrow.....fingers crossed I get some temporary help given I have 2 trips planned in next 2 months & I want to be pain/cane free.

Hope everyone is safe & snug & warm - weather on the left coast is wet & windy. Happy it isn't snow like on the opposite coast!
 
Cortisone injection yesterday - super easy & now my gait is "normal" & there is no pain. Keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts for at least a month or two this time! 9 days until vacation.....can you tell I am beyond excited to think about something other than my old joints?

Have a great weekend all....:cheers:
 
Happy to report my vacation was wonderful & I managed to do all I wanted. The cortisone injection wore off after only 2 weeks - may have been partly my fault due to pushing my activity. The bionic hip performed well but my old arthritic hip was not happy. I survived the last week of vacation taking NSAIDs & using ice to get by. I am going to call my Orthopedist to schedule THR #2 but have to wait a few months post cortisone. I am at the point where I just need to get past this & have some normalcy back in my life.....

Thanks for "listening" - hope everyone is doing well. :badspidy:
 
@oznut.
Sincerest best wishes with your surgery today.
Bye Bye Hip pain.
See you on the other side again.
Joe......
 
Done & done! I am home & happy....seems a bit less challenging than last time but the next couple of weeks will be not much fun....stay tuned for more! Time for my meds & a little nap! =)
 
Hope you have an easy day!!!
 
Day 8 update....having a good day today. I was able to walk a bit more in my backyard using my walker & tried out the cane for a short slow stroll to bathroom. I had to go to clinic yesterday for dressing check - looks like I might have a bit of an adhesive contact dermatitis - a little clear drainage & clean dressing. The glue seems to be holding up well. They were not concerned about infection & a little Benadryl helped last night. I slept well & without any trips to bathroom! I have zero pain & less nausea so....fingers crossed things continue to improve day by day. Thanks for the support & encouragement....I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts!
Enjoy the weekend. Thinking of a short car ride with the hubby to get ice cream tonight! :egypdance:
 
I've cream makes everything better! Glad you are doing well.
 
Mmmmm! A trip for ice cream sounds like a really good idea! It sounds like you are doing very well. I've read on some other threads where people say the second one was a bit easier because they knew what to expect. Hopefully everything keeps going smoothly for you.
 
Mmmmm! A trip for ice cream sounds like a really good idea! It sounds like you are doing very well. I've read on some other threads where people say the second one was a bit easier because they knew what to expect. Hopefully everything keeps going smoothly for you.

:thankyou:
 
OK - post op day 9 started off great. I used my cane a bit more & did my small loops around the backyard again but think I may have jumped the gun...my ankle is now swollen for the first time since surgery. Is this normal? I guess this evening will be a stay in bed with my leg elevated kind of night.....sigh
 
Hi oznut. I noticed about a week after surgery and even since, when I am up and around it looks like my ankles/feet are puffy. I assumed that all that fluid and swelling in my legs was naturally migrating down to my feet the more I was vertical. Maybe Josephine can confirm? It always dissipates after elevating and icing, but happens to me every other day. Not terrible swelling, more like puffy. Hope day 10 will be a good one for you. Rest, elevate, ice. Boring I know, but feel like it has to be following any exercise right now.
 
Day 13 - wound check today with PA - glue held up & only a little drainage. No swelling & minimal pain. The stool softners & prune juice finally worked their magic & I am happy to be over the hump.

I ditched the walker in favor of the cane. Tomorrow I am permitted to go upstairs for a very long overdue shower....yipppeeee!!!!

Curious how long most people need a walker or cane....pain free baby steps are good! No complaints except for boredom but plenty of time to plan ahead for some summer fun.

Hope everyone is on the road to full recovery....:egypdance:
 
@oznut Great news that you are doing so well. I agree about the cane and walker. Walker killed my hands and wrists mainly because I was so concerned about weight bearing ( had both hips done) I moved to a cane at 2 Wells and thought the same thing... Baby steps are fine. Not needed. Then!!! As I practiced on elongating my stride by about 3 Wells in, I realized I had some come out of nowhere pains and glitches with leg 1 or 2 cooperating... And the cane was essential for balance unless you are walking bear enough to something for bracing on. I'm funny, I use it to help get up, for first few steps, then carry it which looks stupid. But it's there if I have an unexpected issue. I certainly don't want to fall and have ANY complication as I've come so far. Be really careful as things get better, new pains come up.
 
Autocorrect in full effect this morning.. Hope you can decipher. What does it want to change weeks to Wells...I don't even know anyone named Wells...aaargh!!!!!!
 
I'm at eight weeks today. I use my cane for walking outside (we live on a beach so quite uneven) but sometimes I carry it if I feel confident. I do not give a rat's patootie how I look though. I believe that you stay with your walking aid until your gait is good. If you are limping around the house you may get habituated to that - not good. The tortoise is my spirit animal!
 
I'm at eight weeks today. I use my cane for walking outside (we live on a beach so quite uneven) but sometimes I carry it if I feel confident. I do not give a rat's patootie how I look though. I believe that you stay with your walking aid until your gait is good. If you are limping around the house you may get habituated to that - not good. The tortoise is my spirit animal!

Congrats on the 8 week anniversary....I have a folding cane that fits in a large purse for down the road. For now I have "blinged" my cane with some gold ribbon. Baby steps....

Here's to bionic hipsters!
 
Back
Top Bottom