TKR FitGal’s Recovery

I prefer crutches to any of the alternatives. But I never used any of them, think I was lucky in that regard.

Sounds like a Cold Steel tactical cane might be just the ticket for you. Or if you’re bold, they do make sword canes as well!

@fitgirl
A suggestion for your cane....I have seen camouflage duct tape in Home Depot. My bet is it might be on line too.....

That might start your HOOAH cane look......

Your shower story is hilarious. I got a bad abscess last winter and wound up at home with a PICC line for iv antibiotics for 3 weeks. They absolutely CAN NOT get wet. Or dirty. Or anything. I would put a cloth 'sock' around the dangling line, then we wrapped my entire upper arm in press and seal wrap, then tape the top and bottoms with tape. It got a little sweaty, but never leaked.

With a trip to the doctor, that's a lot of activity for your first week healing. I'm not surprised things hurt worse. More elevation and ice, and just make in through the days. At 2 weeks I felt so much better it was a little shocking. It will go fast.

@luvcats Yes, I am feeling it today! Hoping it is just the withdrawal from the terrible Percocet. I am now only on Tylenol, Voltaren, and baby aspirin - but thinking I may have to drop the Voltaren and just do Tylenol. Feeling lazy, lethargic, tired and trying to pump full of electrolytes.

@FitGal
You are 6 days out.....you are allowed lazy and tired.

If the cause is the :censored: Percocet withdrawal, it will get better.

I did not have permission to use Voltarin until the incision was totally closed....then it went everywhere.

Hurrycane . Folds. Looks like a totes umbrella in it’s carrying case. Adjusts for height. Nice colors. Purple! Stands up by itself. Easy to step on and get it up again if you drop it or knock it over. Foot pivots to keep you level on ramps/inclines. And a small triple
foot that is great for grass and sand later on. Online. Stores. Even Walmart. (PX’s and shopmyexchange, if you are eligible. )

Last edited:
It’ll be a while before your energy level is normal. Your body is using so much energy to heal from surgery that it leaves you tired. It was months before I had my regular energy level back. Just relax and let your body do what it needs to heal. Is your husband getting any better with his night watch?

Feeling lazy, lethargic, tired and trying to pump full of electrolytes.
It's barely a week since you were spindled, folded, and mutilated. You ought to feel lazy, lethargic, and tired. Electrolytes are good. Be sure you're getting more than the usual amount of protein. Pretty much every bit of documentation I've read talks about increasing that. Healing is expensive in the body economy.

@KarriB - Yes, husband is getting a little better at his nightly duties.... aside from accidentally spilling the cooler of the 'ossur' cold rush machine on the bed last night :heehee: I have been somewhat irritable with all the meds, so that did not go well at all. We are still married today, though!

@luvcats - that is too funny about protein...as I ate my toast this morning, I craved eggs...so I ended up eating a couple cooked eggs after the toast and then for lunch, of all cravings, I ate a peanut butter and jelly with a glass of milk....must be the weird protein crave! :wink:

Note: Hot Flashes + TKR = :gaah:

Oh dear...those hubbies!!
Its funny, mine worked with tkr patients years ago in a rehab place - but my kids were more gentle with me in the first couple weeks after Fred's arrival. I guess becoming a bricklayer didn't do his finesse any favors lol!

I love how you tell stories, you often make me smile & I appreciate that
:flwrysmile:

My Dr wanted me on A high protein foods for the first month. My sweet wife was cooking all these great fish, chicken and meat dinners, eggs for breakfast. I’d eat about 5 fork fulls and I was done. All I wanted was sugar
Don’t come off the drugs to quickly, they may make you feel loopy, but your body needs them

Have you seen the meme that goes something like "Marriage is waking up every morning wondering if you should smother your spouse with his own pillow, or go make breakfast. Pancakes it is." lol

Ugh. Hot flashes. More ice please!!! Do you get night sweats too? I hope they won't turn up during your healing.

@FitGal
My second major meltdown had to do with the Ossur.
I Velcro’ed the cooler to the walker and proceeded to the kitchen to refill.
So.... I overbalanced the walker, the ice machine falls off, loses its lid and ends up with the walker in the middle of my new “wading pool” kitchen.
Took two loads of towels to dry the floor. Oh....and I am still single.... :loll:

Current To Do List:

- Figure out why I am pooping green (at least I started pooping :heehee:)
- Figure out why it feels like I have shin splints when I put weight on my leg
- Figure out if showering every 2.5 days is hygienic
- Figure out when I can shave my legs again
- Figure out how soon I can schedule a pedicure
- Figure out a name for my knee
- Buy cool camouflage tape for my crutches
- Peruse cool canes online
- Develop my upper body workout plan for the next few weeks (to start next week)
- Look for deals for outdoor furniture (couches & ottomans)

That is all.

Oh pooping is wonderful, isn’t it? This is a little like the early days with a new baby - pooping, eating, sleeping - life at its most basic.

@FitGal I think I'm one of the few here that didn't name my knee. :heehee: I figured "she" was good enough.

I didn’t name mine. I occasionally refer to it as a drama queen, but that’s about it.

@Jockette I can't refer to mine as a baby knee either. I think my one horrible child birth experience ruined that idea for me.

@FitGal My surgeon and his PA ruined me for a while on pedis. They have both seen someone come in with an infection after too much digging/trimming around the big toenail.:yikes: I'm not offering this as advice, but they told me to always take my own tools from now on, and even a liner for the tub to be safer. I haven't decided if I can even go their yet.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom