Guest viewing is limited

TKR FitGal’s Recovery

@Rockgirl4 - yes, I refuse to go to places that don't have their tools in sterilized bags and liners in the tubs. I actually think there is a law here in California that requires it - since the few I visit here have the liners and sterilized tools - unlike some other states..... Maybe I can figure out how to have my husband paint the toenails :-)
 
You're on your own for the first, but I expect the 'shin splints' feeling has to do with the way they shaved off part of the bone, drilled a hole, and then pounded a spike into your leg. lol That's what I concluded for myself anyway. I have a lot of discomfort at the top of the shin still.

I have not named my new knee, but I'm thinking I might need to. Currently I've been referring to them as 'new knee' and 'old knee', but old knee is scheduled for upgrades in September and then they'll both be new.
 
As far as your #1 (2) to figure out, it took a while before everything was normal in that department. In the end I figured out the iron supplement my OS had me on was causing some of the problem and when I went off that things got a bit normal.

Very wise to think about upper body workouts. Your knee won’t feel like doing much for a while, but lifting weights while sitting or laying gave me something to do and helped my upper body.
 
@FitGal
Advice to be ignored if you like.....
My guess is you are a free weights kind of girl. I found it easy to lift upper body as long as I used machines. My balance was just not trustworthy enough to handle dumbbells.
 
LOL at your awesome list of things to do/figure out. Shin splints feeling from surgery will go away I had it too. fwiw I never needed a cane. I did walker and crutches depending on how far I was going. Then nothing. Week 1 I just did home pt, plus dumbbells for upper body and walks around the block. Week 2 I added spin bike(no resistance) at home. Week 3 I finally got to the gym for upper body and rowing machine which felt really good.
 
I can't help it!!! :) My knee wants to just roll over and die after reading your post. The spin bike in Week 2 was one thing, but the rowing machine in Week 3 sealed the deal. :rotfl: I still couldn't even put my foot flat on the ground in Week 3, let alone go for a walk. It truly is amazing to see how everyone is so different, regardless of age and fitness level. Just blows my mind!!!!!:bolt:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Rockgirl4 LOL Im pretty hyper. The rowing machine was surprisingly easy and fun, and very motivating for me(The hardest part was the 2 flights of stairs to get to that level of my gym). Then I would go home and nap so hard. I dont think Ive ever taken as many naps in my whole life as I did for the first 2 months.
 
I think I could do the rowing machine but it would be comical to watch me get on and then off if it..if I try, I hope no one has a cell phone handy.....
 
Did it look something like a combo between Downward Facing Dog and a bad belly flop? That might be the only way to describe what I am thinking my technique might be.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had the shin splint feeling for quite a while after my surgery.
I haven't the nerve to go for a pedicure since before my tkr.
When you shave your leg be very careful of your numb spot. It feels so strange there!
 
When can I shave my legs (and underarms)? I am now 10 days post-op....... my husband thinks I'm turning into a werewolf :tantrum2:
 
There's no reason why you can't shave your underarms.
I 'd advise no shaving your legs until your incision is completely healed.
 
I started shaving after 2 weeks but I used my hubby's beard trimmer. Not a close shave but it helped a lot & wasn't so itchy under my Ted hose! I think I began shaving in the shower at like a month? I just don't shave on my knee & make sure I rinse well.
Good luck!
 
Day 10 today. I feel like my swelling has lessened a bit but my ROM is way worse. Hmmm. I know I definitely do not have 0 Extension - more like +10 (with work!). BUT - I am able to hobble around with just one crutch (which means it may be time to buy my cane!).

Overall, I am still not standing or walking around much at all. Most of my day is spent between the recliner, at the kitchen table, on a chair outside under a sun umbrella, or moving to the bathroom. I literally have no desire to do any work - just stare at the TV or my computer. Is this normal?

Since I felt so guilty being so lazy today, I asked my DH to walk a little down the street with me and watch how I move with just one crutch. Well, his critique said "you are still limping" and my response was "duh"!

Anyway, when you walk around a bit, does your knee tend to feel better? I had a sense of euphoria for a little while during my very short walk and it seemed like my leg loosened up a bit. Maybe I will do more of this tomorrow. Hoping the pain won't be too bad tonight.
 
@FitGal, please know that you are very, very early in the recovery process. If you find your ROM decreasing then make sure you are icing and elevating your leg as much as possible. If you're limping using one crutch, then it's not time to be ditching the second one. And it's certainly too soon to think about using a cane. You do yourself no favors by trying to walk without adequate support too soon. It is quite common for people to use a walker at only 10 days out as it gives you the most support when you walk. If you have one, you might give it a try. This is a time to baby your new knee - not push it. It's still healing.

It is quite normal to have brain drain following surgery. Your body has been through a huge trauma. It can be several weeks before that brain fog lifts. Relax and go with it. Your body is doing its job healing. Try not to feel at all guilty about what you may feel is "laziness" or a lack of activity. You are working.....you're working at healing!

The walking you're doing is fine as long as you don't experience increased swelling or pain in the day or so following the walk. If you do, then that's your body telling you you're not ready for that level of activity just yet.
 
I literally have no desire to do any work - just stare at the TV or my computer. Is this normal?
Yes. My experience was, for about 2 weeks I was happy to lay about watching all manner of pointless tv. Not interested in much, and barely focused enough to have a good conversation. Week 3 was the hardest because I was still drained and not too smart, but the fog was lifting so I noticed how not-smart I was. lol. That's when I got boooooored. So bored. I do not usually get bored. I love to read and I always have things to do, but I wasn't up to doing them yet, but already tired of tv. For me, week 4 has me getting closer to normal in brain function, but my body still has zero stamina. Today I will go to the store-riding an ECV-, let my husband bring everything in and put it away, go to PT, make a very simple lunch, and then I will be completely exhausted and spend the rest of the day in my recliner with my favorite ice pack.

So that's one person's current definition of 'normal' for recovery. YMMV
 
At ten days I was a total Zombie. I felt I was going backwards. I found that when you have a brief moment of energy you want to do something active which ends up with more pain and swelling. I have so many books to read and have managed 157 pages of a very easy novel. I still feel very stiff . We will get there it’s early days but it is very dull! Everyone’s different and it’s really hard not to think that everyone’s recovery is so much quicker than your own.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom