Guest viewing is limited

TKR FitGal’s Recovery

I was significantly swollen for at least a week. My leg was kinda hard about 4-6 inches above & below my knee. Rest ice & elevation are the key!!
 
@Ladyala thank you and glad to hear that this may be quite normal. I will wait it out, rest and elevate. Hoping for better things soon!!!

@Chemist just readjusted from the recliner and also icing lower leg - working a little bit.... thank you! :)
 
So, I'm in search of a name for my knee. She/He/It is very punchy, alive, talks-a-lot, is not flexible at all, and seems to puff up a lot! Any suggestions?

To assist in naming:
My Background
- I am in the Army
- I own an Anytime Fitness Franchise
- I love being a mom
- I love dancing
- I love to workout
- I love to help others

My Knee's Background
- Grew up a ballerina until age 16
- Fell on the ski slopes of Elk Mountain, PA in 1990
- Underwent massive reconstruction
- Was casted for three months and therapy for six months - walking independently after 9 months
- Joined the Army in college
- Became air assault qualified
- Deployed to Afghanistan
- Served over 20 years Active Duty
- Completed over 20 triathlons
- Taught many years of aerobics
- Became arthritic over the past few years with valgus, et al
- Underwent therapy for several months
- Fell over a tent in Kentucky in mid-June this year and full body weight landed on a bad knee in a bad position
- Returned to Cali to be told by OS that only option is TKR if I wanted to salvage the rest of my body

Next note, based on first note above, yes, I am back on Percocet (just at night)

For the record, my no-name baby knee had its first "zingers" tonight...hopefully that is a sign of healing! Hoping my baby will soon lose its basketball shape to become more of a baseball by morning!
 
Good morning:

Sounds like your original equipment knee was very well traveled!

Your comment about being back in percocet made laugh. Reminded me of my early recovery when I tried doing work email while still on pain meds. One of the people that reported to me politely suggested that I stop.

Hope the swelling goes down today.

Take care
 
The week after my surgery I put on about 10 lbs of swelling in my leg. It's uncomfortable, but completely normal.
Thank you for your service. My sister and cousin and both their spouses are Army.

Drawing a blank on naming ideas. I still don't have a name for mine either. Brain fog is a big thing around here. lol
 
Hey FitGal! I also consider myself fairly fit except for these glass knees which also served 12-years Army (Signal + DrillSGT) ..and now a Cert PT and Group Fitness Trainer (specialty Senior Fitness) ... just had my Left Knee done on july 19th .. (right knee was Jan 16th this year) .. no injuries just Army wear and tear since I was diagnosed with SI Joint Syndrome and Degen Disc. ... reading your story, feel like I can relate and hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get back to the fitlife! I am now 8-days without a workout and not feeling like doing much with this knee pain .. will give it one more week and then back to the rack and dumbbells. Stay strong!
 
@AjesMum - I am super impressed... new knees just six months apart and still counting the days since you last worked out. Plus 12 years Army and now a trainer - you are a super fit woman yourself! Thank you for your service!

Well, I am using all the Master Resilience Training I certified on (specifically the "Put It In Perspective" skill) in order to just get through a day - LOL! I need you to come be my drill sergeant and trainer, as I feel like a total wimp right now! I have all different types of pain going on and not sure what is normal or abnormal pain, so I am going to assume that all types of pain are normal. :-) I will definitely follow you on your recovery and likely seek motivation!!!

Have a great day @AjesMum!
 
@Josephine - Hi! FNB = Femoral Nerve Block.

On a separate note, I seem to be having pain (like fire) smack dab in the middle of my knee in the front when I put weight on the leg...it feels like I am pulling a scab off my leg. Pain meds don't seem to touch that pain....not sure if pain there is normal....
 
Welcome to the new normal! Pain will improve - from my experience the first two weeks are the hardest. This pain chart I obsessed over. It's in one of the reading links but I screen shot it to keep referring to.

[Bonesmart.org] FitGal’s Recovery
 
@Benay - Thank you! I will likely start obsessing over this chart now as well! Although it's a bummer to see the first 4-weeks are red and no greens until Month 7 - yikes!!! Definitely a marathon - except a bigger entry fee with no t-shirt, just a battle scar :)
 
Hi @FitGal :

This is definitely a marathon recovery. Don't expect to follow the exact same path as the pain chart. Everyone is different. Rather than a steady consist improvement I regressed a couple of times when I got overly enthusiastic and did too much. I also had significant step change improvements at 4 and 6 months. Listen to your knee. It will tell you what it can handle.

Take care
 
:mcoffee:I'm at week 12 but, per pain chart, regressed to a conservative week 8 after a massive overdo in DTLA this week (downtown LA). It's my favorite place and it was the first time back post TKR, I definitely have the tendancy to overlook limitations.
 
@FitGal
I noticed big changes from Day 3 to Day 8 particularly in function, appetite return etc.
I credit being off pain meds by day 5 to using almost 50 bags of ice during this process, and still counting. I do occasionally use OTC meds.

Obsessing is easy to do post TKR. I did not pay much attention to the chart....but OMG...give me numbers, flexion, weeks till you can drive, steps to get per day, etc...and the obsessing starts!

As far as a name for the knee....you have the rest of your life to decide that. It won’t always be punchy, inflexible and talkative. It will eventually be solid, dependable and mainly silent.

As for mine, his name is Mr. Knee. Currently, he is a dictator....I am plotting to turn the tables on him... and I will be the boss...some day soon. (Evil laugh)
Welcome to Bone smart.
 
Since I was so swollen yesterday, I have some leakage coming from incision, but still "inside" the aqua cell bandage. Not sure if this is an issue I need to start worrying about. Serious bruising as well.
 
:holysheep:My husband took pictures of my bruises - several pictures to get all that gorgeousness! They are now starting to dissipate a bit but we will always have the memories.
 
Hi All - I have weaned off of the Percocet during the day and taking just tylenol and advil. The swelling is getting worse by the minute..... had no idea my leg (knee, calf and quads) could get this swollen. I've been mostly in recliner all day with ice and elevation. Any advice to get the swelling to go down?
Wow! Are you just anti-narcotics or have they cut you off?
Swelling is a fact of life for weeks for most of us. You're doing the right thing by icing and elevating. Be sure to use an extra pillow to make sure you're getting a good incline as most recliners won't get your leg high enough.

Also a slightly elevated temp in the first week post surgery is not unusual.
 
@FitGal
The bruising you can see is one thing....have you looked at your calf in the mirror?
I hadn’t until home PT said”Wow are you icing the back of your knee and calf also?” I was in shorts.
“Why?” I asked cluelessly.
She brought me a mirror and the back of my leg from knee to ankle was purple. Not a hint of normal skin color.
As I said....clueless. I had not even looked.

You are 4 days in.....just keep on keeping on with what you are doing. The swelling will improve.....promise!

Also...as far as the narcotics....if you have pain take them.....no hero points after TKR....if you have no pain that is awesome.

It is possible to have no pain soon... I was off narcotics in 4 days and took only one more after that. (Second at home PT session...Yowchie!)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom