Guest viewing is limited

TKR FitGal’s Recovery

Hi @FitGal :

As others have said you aren't being lazy, your body is totally focused on healing. I think we all under estimate the amount of energy that is being diverted to that process.

My knees always felt better when I would get up and move. I set a timer so that I would walk a bit every hour. I started slowly, literally a short lap around the house and increased the distance as my stamina improved.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you when you are doing too much.

Hope you have a great day of healing!

Chemist
 
Last edited:
I am another fan of the rowing machine. At 4 weeks out I am using it sparingly. My guess is the key to being able to use a rower is your ROM. Mine is 120 degrees so I have been extremely lucky. Been pretty aggressive in my exercise but that is simply an expression of my gym rat nature. As has been said in this great forum repeatedly....it’s your knee! All the best.
 
Yup, luvcats hit it right on. Very similar experience for me.
Walking does seem to loosen mine up too, as long as I'm careful not to overdo it. I would suggest not using 1 crutch if you are limping a lot. Dont get used to walking with a weird gait if you can help it. I used my walker for about 2.5 weeks. Then switched to a cane.
 
It took a good 4 weeks before I was able to even walk around the house. I spent 99% of my time with me knee elevated. I ate, slept, visited with friends, folded laundry all while elevating, of I didn’t my knee would not bend at all. Chances are you’ll see and feel a difference around 4-6 weeks post op, after you’re knee has done more healing.
 
@FitGal Add me to the group who still needed a walker at 4 wks post-op. I felt silly, knowing how "young and fit" I was. :) I had to get over it quickly and stop trying to look/act normal, no matter how badly I wanted it. It was a humbling experience for me, that's for sure.
 
Hi @FitGal! I’m on day 11 post-op and after reading through your posts, we have a lot of thing in common with recovery. I’m also feeling lazy spending so much time in the sofa with my leg propped up, but I’m reminding myself that it’s important! I’m in love with my ice machine. I wish i wasn’t still using the walker (i hate not being able to carry stuff). My FrankenLeg is a variety of colors from the bruising. My mom keeps taking photos to send my dad and i had to threaten him about posting them on social media. My swelling is almost gone, just a few small spots. My ROM also sucks but I’m trying to be patient about that. I start back to work on Monday but luckily i can work from home and have a VERY understanding boss. It’s nice to know others are having similar experiences. We can do this!!!
 
Thanks everyone for your stories and advice! This is such a great forum! BTW - I am back to two crutches, and was motivated to do three walks outside today! Also today.......

HOLY MOLY - DAY 10 - ITCHING!!!! Does anyone else have mega itching at Day 10? So, I was doing great on wound healing until yesterday when I changed my dressing under my ace bandage. For a little history - My knee was glued with something like Dermabond and the Doc put an Aquacell bandage over this before leaving the hospital. Within two days of the aquacell, I had to visit the doc's office due to the skin reaction to the aqua cell bandage. Doc removed that and just put some sterile gauze over the dermadbond and ace bandage. I bought another type of bandage on Amazon to cover, and have used this on and off between gauze and ace bandage. In actuality, the derma bond has been protecting it overall. In any case, I was doing my daily bandage change last night to go back to gauze and ace, and everything was fine until about an hour later - then I got some itching. Now, I have itching underneath most of the Dermabond, uhhhhh! The incision looks ok (besides the fact it looks like I had a rough time during Shark Week), it is just the general area under the Dermabond that is on fire and itching! My dad, who is a doc - living 2300 miles away - told me to take some Benadryl, as he is not too worried about it. Any thoughts from anyone?
 
Oh for the love, the itching! I’ve had both hips replaced and never had this issue so there must be new glue. Under the tape it’s red and itchy. I freaked out earlier in the week and the PA just looked at it and said “Yeah, I’ve been meaning to talk to him about that. People are allergic to the glue, but he still likes to use it because there are no staples to remove.” I’m counting the days until this tape wears itself off and I’m free of the glue! I’m taking Claritin and it helps take the edge off.
 
@Steelergal - I feel so much better that this may be just a response to the glue... I have been freaking out all day! Can't wait for the glue to come off! I see the OS on Wednesday....but OMG - Holy Itch right now!
 
Listen to your Dad. Take the Benedryl.
 
I have used Sarna lotion (recommendation from my dermatologist) and Claritin as needed.....otherwise it is even harder to get to sleep! Off and on for me. Good luck!
 
@FitGal My surgeon also used the glue. I broke out in a nasty rash around my incision due to the glue. Also had a rash all over my body probably due to allergic reaction to Celebrex or gabapentin. I took Benadryl, Zyrtec along with the Antibiotic my PCP
prescribed for me for 7 days.
 
Oh the itching. I am lucky that mine was just from healing and not glue, but that didn't make it itch less. I was thisclose to putting mittens on my hands so I couldn't scratch!
 
Advice from a dad....AND a doc? Hmmmm.....I would probably be duty bound to follow that advice....
 
Oh yes, the itching. I had healing & tape irritation. So not fun!
 
Ok - so I was up literally all night with the incredible itch that turned almost painful. I took one benadryl at about 9:00pm and then in the middle of the night, I massaged the itch over the ace and I scratched the side of my leg.... come to find a few hours later, I caused some red dots. I freaked out, cleaned off the side of my leg that I scratched with rubbing alcohol and put on bacitracin ointment on the red dots...of course, leaving the glue and incision alone. At this point, the incision/glue area was beet red and inflamed, leaving me at 2:00am taking another Benadryl. I finally got some sleep around 4:00am-6:00am. When I awoke, I was still an itchy mess so I tried to see if letting the area "air out" would help...it did a little bit. I also took a Zyrtec and that helped a little.

In any case, my paranoia AND the actual situation itself led me to call the Dr office (just like last Saturday). They had me come in and the Dr that was on-call removed the tape/glue with instant relief! Though I still have a lot of redness, I feel a lot better. He said to still take benadryl and if it itches again, to use some Hydrocortisone. I will be seeing my OS on Monday for follow-up. So, I guess I am now a "Saturday Morning Groupie" at my Dr's office...not sure they are too happy about that. The receptionist told me that should have called and come to the office yesterday (duh!).

I'm really hoping that this was just a delayed reaction to the glue and nothing other than that!!! Meanwhile, I can't wait to :biking:!
 
I caused some red dots. I freaked out, cleaned off the side of my leg that I scratched with rubbing alcohol and put on bacitracin ointment on the red dots...of course, leaving the glue and incision alone.
Please don't use Bacitracin ointment unless it's been prescribed for an existing infection.

The use of antibiotics "just in case" is one of the reasons why we now have a proliferation of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

In any case, my paranoia AND the actual situation itself led me to call the Dr office (just like last Saturday). They had me come in and the Dr that was on-call removed the tape/glue with instant relief! Though I still have a lot of redness, I feel a lot better. He said to still take benadryl and if it itches again, to use some Hydrocortisone. I will be seeing my OS on Monday for follow-up. So, I guess I am now a "Saturday Morning Groupie" at my Dr's office...not sure they are too happy about that. The receptionist told me that should have called and come to the office yesterday (duh!).
I'm glad you finally went to your doctor's office. It probably would have been wiser to do that originally.
I hope your leg improves from now on.
 
Hi! First time posting and have been lurking. I had my TKR on 7/9 and around the 1 week mark, I had the same issues you've been having. Went to doctor and he said I was having an allergic reaction to the surgical glue. He took of all the glue, wrapped me up, and put me in a brace for a week WITH an antibiotic and Prednisone. Was told NO PT during this time and to keep my leg straight. I went back one week later and was given the clear for PT. It set me back a week in PT, but was happy to be able just to heal. Hope you're doing better!
 
Oh that sounds awful...I'm so glad you went in!!
 
I react that way to all adhesives. I got a prescription for this:
Triamcinolone Acetonide(triamcinolone acetonide cream) is a topical corticosteroid prescribed to relieve skin inflammation, itching, dryness, and redness.
On my skin, it works ASAP! Much much faster and better for me than otc hydrocortisone.

I also found tramadol releases histamines and made the palms of my hands itchy (no redness). I take the anti-histamine Allegra (1x a day) whenever I take tramadol . No itchiness with that. Allegra was the best for me for that (zyrtec and benadryl were not as effective for me). This itchiness was different from that caused by the adhesives.
PS The waterproof NexCare bandaids do not bother my skin at all.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom