Guest viewing is limited

First hip replacement coming up and terrified..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not get to speak to the surgeon. I thought his secretary would call me today and perhaps she did - I just wanted to enjoy an ordinary day in this lovely weather we are having, so spent the day on the beach. Since the kids have broken up for the summer all I have done is organise this operation. My friend, who is a nurse, thinks the surgeon would have been livid and they will now get me in asap but I have my doubts about that.
 
Musicteacher, my heart breaks for you. I don't know that much about the NHS, but I suppose if there are "emergencies" and such you get bumped? Whatever the case, you sound like a very strong person and I know you will somehow manage to get through this mess and have surgery sooner (hopefully) or later. I don't know if your surgeon can help, but since he/she knows how badly you need this, I would at least make a personal plea.
Again, so sorry and hang in there.
 
Musicteacher So sorry to hear your op got cancelled at the last minute. I don't blame you going to the beach. All the preparations and planning you did to get ready. If you don't hear soon you could get in touch with Patient liaison who can look into things and maybe gee them up a bit. I hope you don't have to wait too long.
 
I think my blood pressure went up a few points just reading this. I don't know what I would have done, but think you have kept yourself together amazingly well. -- much better than I would have. Here's hoping your surgery will be re-scheduled very soon and that you get the care you deserve -- both in hospital and at home.
 
horsecrazy How are you doing? Are you feeling ok? I have been thinking of you. I had a funeral last week so have been a bit slow catching up with all my hippie friends.
Musicteacher I cannot believe your surgery was cancelled!!! I hope that you will be re:scheduled asap!! I feel for you. I know what a mental ordeal it is to get geared up and ready for the surgery but to have it cancelled like that is just terrible!! Keep us posted as to when your new surgery date is!!!
 
sandpiper, Hi, I'm happy to report that I'm doing well and feeling a tiny tiny bit better each day. It is day 10 post-op and I had my first "outing" yesterday! My husband took me to the barn and I was able to see my horse for a short bit. I get around really well outside on crutches and use my walker in the house. I can manage to walk without anything, but it does put what I think is likely too much strain on my hip at this point--so I always use walker or crutches. I am having night sweats and I have a bit of tightness in my chest when I take a really deep breath--but likely all just ramifications of major surgery. I have my post-op visit on Tues and will make sure all is well. Thank goodness I have my last injection on Tues also--so with no more injections and stitches out it will be a big day!!! I seem to have great energy (no post-op drain) and am eating like a pig ;-) So. please drop a line and let me know what's up with you these days - there are so many forums it is not always easy to keep up with what is going on with everybody. Happy Sunday!:egypdance:
 
horsecrazy. I'm so thrilled for you! You sound incredible! It's amazing how quickly recovery moves ahead! Years ago my mom had broken her hip and had a replacement. Actually it was only 3 yrs. ago. She was on a walker for months and used her cane for a yr!!! I don't know if it was her age ( she was 79 at the time) or the difference in procedures they use now even 3 yrs later??? I just know that I totally expected to be out of commission for a long time. Now I feel great!
I wonder when you will be cleared to actually get on your horse ? I bet you'll be able to by 3 months post-op! I'm very happy for you that you are doing so well!!!
 
Musicteacher how are you doing?? I am done and wanted to tell you it would be fine, but I hope you know that yourself now.
 
sandpiper, I think that they have tweaked things about THR over the past few years and people seem to recover amazingly quick these days! But you are also right, age and all sorts of factors seem to play a big roll in recovery.
I'm told that if all goes well I can ride 3 months post-op....so that is my goal! I will also add, my surgeon did say there was a chance I could rider sooner, but frankly even if I got cleared to do so, I would not feel comfortable taking that risk :shocked: I know I'll be nervous when I get back on, and horses pick up on anxiety, so the more comfortable I am the better things will go :thumb:
 
horsecrazy. You are so smart to hold off. Anxiety travels right down thru the seat! Besides, even the most kick quiet horse can get bit by a horse fly or stung by a bee and up they go and off you go! I'd do exactly what you are doing and hold off til you feel confident. Afterall, you have a lifetime of years under saddle to enjoy! When you do get back up on your mount, I want pictures!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Musicteacher I do hope your ok, do let us all know please. What a dreadful thing to happen after you'd got yourself all prepared. I've heard of this happening before in the NHS system. I'm going to double and triple check my date to make sure they have a bed. Big cyber hugs lass and fingers crossed they have you sorted ASAP xx
 
sandpiper, do you or have you ridden in the past? Just curious, the typical person might not use "seat" the way you did :what: Of course, I will gladly take pics of my next ride and send directly your way! You have to promise to tell me the thing you want to do most--then take a pic and send to me when you do it :tada:
 
Hi all and thanks for all your thoughts. Ok I am on again for 15th August. I feel ok. It is not a perfect time with work but I have to realise this is something I cannot control to the extent I thought I could.
Red shoe - I don't know about your hospital but the system at my hospital means you don't get near a bed until after operation. You all wait In a room until you go to theatre. If beds fill up with emergencies in the meantime they are forced to cancel. I really hope you have a different system where you are.
Well I am preparing again and obviously said to the secretary about my experiences so far and does this mean I will have priority on the day.........you can imagine the vague response!
Hope you are all doing ok and thanks again for your support
 
I'm glad they have given you another date and that it's not too far away but I understand you now need to phyche yourself up again to get yourself through it!! That's the problem with the NHS isn't it, that they can't guarantee you a bed on the day!!
Hopefully having been bumped once will give you some kind of priority :)
 
I can so relate to having surgery cancelled.. Mine was THREE times in TWO WEEKS...

So, so very pleased you have a date in August, it will come around quickly and just think you have done all the prep for it.. You are ahead of the game :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom