Guest viewing is limited

First hip replacement coming up and terrified..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So even though it is a spinal (like I had with my caesareans) you do go to sleep fully? I read an article in the paper where a lady watched cricket on an iPad while they did the THR so I assumed you were fully conscious?? I hadn't got as far as choosing my programme but thought it was interesting!
 
Oh, they give you some happy juice that keeps you under---I never knew a thing with either knee and didn't want to. Wasn't scared--but for surgery I wanted to be out of it.
 
Thanks for that. I feel a lot happier. Basically I know they will make the right decision for me on the day so I will leave it in their hands but the more I know the better I feel! Not long now.....
 
I had a spinal with both my hips and I'd really recommend it over a GA. I was also scared of waking but I have no recollection of anything after the sedation went in until I woke in the recovery room. :)
 
THR been put back a week to 25th july. Disappointed but these things happen and I am still a July sparkler unless it gets delayed further.
Am picking up equipment on Friday so I will be ready!
 
THR been put back a week to 25th july. Disappointed but these things happen and I am still a July sparkler unless it gets delayed further.
Am picking up equipment on Friday so I will be ready!
So sorry to hear about your delay--I was thinking about you often, as you were the day before me. I suppose now you can rely on ME to tell YOU how well it goes (hopefully!). Hang in there and know that now you will be super ready, having even a bit more time to get all your pre-op ducks in a row :)
 
Thanks horse crazy. I will be following your recovery and wishing it were me - but won't be far behind you!
 
Hi all
two days to go and I am feeling quite anxious. In fact I feel like I am coming down with a cold but I hope it is just because I am nervous and everything goes to my throat. My bag is packed and I want to just get in and get this done. I have been reading the post op threads with great interest and send my wishes to all of you. I would feel a lot more anxious without all of you.
 
Hi Music Teacher

Everything will be fine that is how I felt I was so keen to get the op done as I was in so much pain. Two days and it wil all be done.

Billy
 
I was so very nervous pre my first surgery, I just wanted to run away and pretend everything was ok but I knew that this was something I had to do!! You WILL be ok and after surgery, without the pain you will be feeling so much better, it will all be worth it. Only 2 days left to wait and it'll all be over and you will be on the way to a brilliant recovery. Take care and try to rest and relax in your last few pre surgery days
 
Musicteacher Very soon you'll be looking back at this waiting period with such relief that you had the surgery.
I had spinal for my two hips, and they gave me a sedative IV and I was completely out. I woke up in the recovery room, and felt pretty alert. If you're anxious about being a little awake, just tell them and they can be sure you get the best medication for you and whatever fear you may have.
Good luck with the surgery. You won't regret it. Keep us posted on how it all goes.
And congratulations of the birth of the beautiful little Prince! We're very excited for all of you! He's a gem.:)
 
Musicteacher, very best of luck! As everybody is telling you--it will be fine and you will see that all the concerns you had were for nothing. You will not wake up during the procedure if you tell them you don't want to, and there is no pain whatsoever with the spinal. I was so thrilled it was over by noon I devoured a plate of yucky hospital food as if it were the best cooked meal ever :spin:
Best of luck!
 
Musicteacher all the best for your op and I hope you don't develop a cold. We are all rooting for you and everyone else whose due a new hip ( me included) :ok:
 
Music teacher anxiety comes but you will be fine. I gave myself a headache before they took me to theatre. But once the spinal was in and you get a sedative. .. nothing. .. then you wake and it's all over.
Good luck and don't think to much about it. Xxxxx
 
I had mine done on the original date so I'm home recovering while you're waiting. I must say I'm glad to be in my shoes and not in yours. My antheseologist (I know that's spelled wrong -- even the spell checker cannot figure out what I'm trying to say) said I would have a spinal AND a light GA. He said the spinal was for me and the GA was for them -- makes a body more relaxed, I guess. Whatever, it worked and I'm done with hips. Hopefully I'm done with any joints, but never say never! I'll be thinking of all of you coming up and wish you much success.
 
Thank you to everyone who has sent me kind and helpful words. I have kept myself very busy today organising where the children are going and packing for everyone. My youngest has gone to stay with a good friend and will have a great day on the beach tomorrow. My oldest is being taken to a friend by my mum. I am about to have my last food for a while and then we will be off at 6.30 tomorrow morning. I haven't gone down with a cold but my glands are up - as I said everything goes to my throat and mouth! I am fairly relaxed, have tons to read and music to listen to! My other half will bring the iPad in to the hospital at some point and I will let you know how it went.
Thank you again to everyone. See you on the other side.........
 
Well I couldn't have predicted this. I got to the hospital at 7, had the usual tests, got changed and waited in the same day admission unit.

At 11.30 they took me into a side room, and told me that there were no beds and the operation could not go ahead. I was distraught to say the least. Apart from getting ready mentally, there is the organisation of 2 children which had been difficult. I was in tears. I left the hospital and to be honest, don't feel like going back.

The sister, who broke the news to me said she would get a new date as soon as possible. She called me yesterday at 5pm and said someone would call today with a new date - but I was not in all day and received no call on my mobile so don't know if they called or not. Good old NHS. I am so upset.

I am having this done because the surgeon wants me to have the replacements before my hips collapse (part of me thinks wait until then and I will be an emergency and therefore have to have a bed) and I was trying to schedule this so the council did not have to pay me and a cover teacher but it looks like that is not going to happen.
I really am so confused I just want to enjoy the summer with my children and forget all about it but it is not a problem that will disappear. HELP
 
Oh good god Musicteacher I am so sorry, what a terrible thing to happen to you!!! Please don't give up, let's hope they can get you in really soon and you can be back out enjoying the rest of the summer with your children.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom