Guest viewing is limited

First hip replacement coming up and terrified..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Music teacher. Just thinks by this time tormorrow it will be over and on to recover. Will say a prayer for you early tormorrow as your time is about 5 hrs earlier. Al.
 
Hi Everyone
No I am still here and limping! My date is 18th July (but I had to check I had put it right as it would be like me to put the wrong month!) I have just had a lovely holiday in Lake Garda as we will not be able to go away in the summer so I feel a step closer. It is great to hear all your experiences and thoughts. In a strange way, although I am still terrified, I am quite excited as well about the new life I could be leading! Has anyone experience of different leg length after the operation? Because both my joints are bone on bone, the surgeon will create joint space in the left leg and I will be very uneven until I have the right one done - he even mentioned the dreaded built up shoe which I managed to avoid throughout my childhood! I hope they have improved!!!
Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery.
 
Musicteacher I am like you, I was scared to death even thinking about surgery. Then I found Bonesmart! It has been a lifesaver, that is for sure. My surgery has just been scheduled for August 12. We will be about a month apart, and we can be recovery buddies if you'd like. :happydance: Bonesmarties have given me the will, strength and courage to do this surgery and get it overwith. I'm sick of living in pain. In fact, I had to go grocery shopping today (dogs were out of food,:puppysmooze: oh my!) and I had to ask a friend to go with me because I can't do it by myself anymore. While we were at the store, I told my friend that I'm SO READY for this surgery so that I can be independent again. I'm tired of having to rely on everyone else for pretty much everything in my life. I'm ready to have that shiny new hip and be pain free!!!
 
Musicteacher what a lovely holiday-- I did that too, arrived home six days before surgery! Cleaning cooking cleaning organising cleaning laundry catscatscats and hubby had stayed 100 miles away to get a full week at the office, which he hadn't seen in 2 weeks, and would not see again for another 2:yikes:
Before surgery I felt very strongly that my worse (op) leg was longer-- to the point where if I stood on it, the other dangled free about an inch above the ground. It was too painful to put my legs together, so I didn't. Surgeon told me he left the leg its same length, and my notes say he went on to remark that he'd fix it with the other one if necessary. So-- at first the LLD still felt the same BUT I could put my legs together!!!:egypdance: So i DID, and practiced doing that and walking smoothly (they call me "Liquid Hips Lil:rotfl: ), and now it feels right. My pelvis has been tilted all along, I will have to address that too, perhaps it will make my op-side S-I joint feel better :)
Jojool and Musicteacher-- could yall do me a favor and put your surgery dates in your signature? It will make it easier for my poor fevered brain to sort out who is when! (to edit signature, go up to top right of the page, where you will see your screen name in bold. Hover over that and select , oddly enough, "signature". Click, and there will be a text field showing what you already may have there-- actually I see nothing for either of you-- and write whatever you like! very cool feature! Don't forget to "save", which is at the bottom of the screen you are working in. Hope this helps! Or, you could just ignore me...:skep: :whistle: :rotfl: )
 
Has anyone experience of different leg length after the operation? Because both my joints are bone on bone, the surgeon will create joint space in the left leg and I will be very uneven until I have the right one done - he even mentioned the dreaded built up shoe
I have leg length difference because my surgeon put the joint back where it should be after being pushed up with no space and bone on bone but I will have my other hip done in 10 days so will only have 13 weeks of hobbling. I got a heel lifter for my shoe and that has really helped. How long do you expect to wait for your second hip, if they both need doing I recommend you get them both done ASAP then the leg length won't really matter.
 
Thanks Littlejem and Zauberflote for your experiences. I was always told my left leg was shorter but have been seeing a chiropractor for about 4 years. They discovered that it was my pelvis that is tilted so I see them every 2 weeks and they keep me straight! But also as you say Zauberflote it is actually that I cannot stand with my legs together so they feel uneven. Basically I need to trust the surgeon as they know what they are doing!

I said originally that I would have my right hip done next summer (obviously I am a teacher and it makes sense to have this done in the 6 weeks holiday). I don't know if I can survive a year with a shoe lift? The more I think about things and also speaking to my line manager who has been great, I could have the next operation sooner and he will ensure cover for me (I am not used to putting myself first but think I really have to here) I think if this turns out to be the best thing I have done I may look at having the right done in December. I can see you will have a 3 month gap. I don't if I am as brave as you!
 
Hi Musicteacher I recon you should have the first one done and see how you feel, it could be that with only one troubling you it might be ok to wait the 12 months but for me as soon as I started trying to walk/exercise my other hip said oh no I don't like that and 3 months is right for me. There are some on here that have had them closer, it's really not unusual, sandybeach only had 6 weeks between her ops. Are you NHS, will you have a long wait once you decide, December could work quite well for you as you'd have a few weeks Christmas holiday to use.
 
Hi everyone. I have been following everyone's experiences with great interest. This site is so informative and hearing about people's recovery helps me know what to expect, good and bad. I am getting my head around the fact that my surgery is just over 2 weeks away. I am a bit disorganised as we sold our house after 2 years of trying and it looks like we may move about a month after my surgery but everyone is offering help and I am doing what I can now.

I have had my pre op and go again this week to see the OT and physio. I met with the consultant again who I am very happy with and he is already mentioning having the next one done.

I am hoping I will be given some equipment at the hospital but if not will get as much as I can in the next few weeks.

Thanks to everyone here for making me feel I am not alone and giving me hope of a new lease of life.
 
Hi Musicteacher are you NHS, if so I hear you get offered all sorts of helpful equipment, mine was private and I just bought a loo seat raiser, some sticks and a long handled grabber but I managed just fine for both of my surgeries with these. I am lucky to have a walk in shower but if you have a shower over your bath there is a bath board they can loan you to help you in and out I hear. Two weeks will go really quickly and I'm sure you will manage just fine with the move if you have lots of help, are you moving far?
 
Morning Littlejem. I have loved following your recovery! Yes I am NHS so hope I will be given some things. I also have a friend who is an OT I another area so she may be worth a call! We have a walk in shower and I have been advised to leave the bed upstairs as I will have to do the stairs.

We are only moving 3 miles and if all goes to plan we should be able to move things gradually so fingers crossed for that one.
 
Musicteacher - if you are going to see OT and physio they will most likely either advise you on the what equipment will be provide or give it to you at that meeting. Please keep us updated! Not long now!
 
Musicteacher Just came across your thread. I will be another who says the anticipation is the worst part. Also when you hear the first week or two are rough....honestly you don't recognize that except in hindsight. Immediately after surgery my husband was told by the surgeon he didn't know how I was walking at all. I'm at 7 weeks. I must say the grabber is my favorite aid. Didn't realize how many things I dropped until I wasn't allowed to bend. You will find so much help and reassurance on this site!
 
Hey great news you have a friend who is an OT, she will definitely be worth a call. I agree with Upstater the anticipation is by far the worst part. Even going into my second surgery I was very apprehensive but it was much easier than I'd feared and although the first few weeks are a challenge, with your 'cement leg', you recover really quickly.
 
All I can add...

[Bonesmart.org] First hip replacement coming up and terrified..


.... Almost :)
 
Hi
Have been to my education talk prior to surgery and the nurse said they are moving away from general anaesthetic and using more spinal blocks to help recovery. Has anyone had a THR with a spinal? The decision will be made on the day and although it is not something I had thought about, I am not opposed to the idea. Any advice would be welcome.
 
Musicteacher, I can tell you that most of the hippies and kneesies here on the forum love the spinal. It sounds a bit intimidating, but most of us didn't even feel the needle go in, didn't know when surgery started or ended and woke up feeling clear headed and pain free.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom