Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fire wolf recovery<

Well, it sounds like you were sensible then and I think the sleeve is a good idea since it seemed to help. You can just add to them gradually, maybe a few more every other day? I know there are many good tutorials out there for this sort of thing, but of course, none of them are geared toward someone recovering from a tkr. That's why I though perhaps a visit or two with your former PT might be helpful, just to get some guidelines to avoid injury.

You don't by any chance have access to an indoor pool, either at a gym or college nearby, do you?
 
@Pheebs52 I tend to shy away from pools since I don't know how to swim! I know that you don't need to be able to swim to do some water stuff, but with my luck I would drown anyway!
 
Actually, you could easily build a lot of leg strength in a pool without swimming at all. I did this after my hip replacement until I could actually swim again. Water walking, deep-water jogging with a flotation belt, just flutter kicking with a boogie-board. It might actually be the least ouchy way to achieve what you need to achieve. What you could do is try a hotel pool on a guest pass and see how you feel after trying some of these.
 
And the issue is still time, even if I did locate a pool, especially since I am all over the place on any given day, and am single, so don't have someone to take care of stuff at home, or cook, etc while I go to a gym or pool. So trying to keep it to things I can do at home in between things, or at work on breaks.
 
Yes, time is a huge issue. Is there any way you could postpone this, even for just another month?
 
Unfortunately not. The company that does the trainings only offers them every so often around here, and I need to do it before Dec.:sigh:
 
I think if I just even do the techniques with an imaginary person that it might help build strength in the areas it will impact. :shrug:
 
Like a large body pillow? Seriously, practicing the actual moves would give you the best result. Maybe wrestle with an outdoor chair or a recliner? A punching bag might be ideal!
 
Fire Wolf, I just spent some time reading your recovery thread from start to finish. I'm sorry to see that you've been pushing yourself so hard, but that's in the past. And I do understand your need to accommodate what is required in your job. But I must tell you that I have some serious concerns about this upcoming test you're going to have where you must demonstrate a physical take-down of someone. You'll be about 5 months out and that is NOT "recovered."

Is this a case where you just show the movements you would make or will you actually be working with a person who is actively resisting you? I ask because one of the most dangerous moves on a new knee is a sideways twisting motion. If you are wrestling with a person, the chances are greatly increased that you might make such a move before you know it. I'd hate to see that happen to you. Your knee implant is secure, but you can really damage ligaments and tendons and set your recovery back.

What happens if you delay the recertification? Could it just be that you would have some work modifications for a few months until you could get it done safely?

I'm sure you realize by now that being young and an athlete really doesn't matter in this recovery. You can't speed it up. It takes time. Frankly, most people may go back to work at 12 weeks, but not at a job like yours. You are hauling around way too much weight going in and out of work, driving long distances and doing a lot of desk jockey time. That's hard on your knee. Get a cart and wheel the stuff around so that at least you're not stressing your new knee with all that weight!

So, tell me a bit more about this test you must go through in a month. Maybe there is some way to get you rested up enough to be able to go through it. Notice I said....rest....not strength training! The harder you work at trying to be "normal," the slower your recovery is going to be. You must let your knee have lots of recoup time now that you're back at this demanding job. Most strengthening training begins after the 6 month mark. And even then, it should be done minimally for a couple of months and build up slowly. You're rushing things. Your knee has had a lot of surgery and trauma - even before the TKR. That usually means a person will have a bit longer recovery than normal, so you need to plan for that possibility.

I know some of this might not be what you want to hear. But I must express some concern for your upcoming plans. It is possible (when you push your knee constantly and are frequently swollen and in pain) that the pain can switch from an acute condition to a chronic one. We really want to avoid that as it is infinitely more difficult to resolve chronic pain.
 
@Jamie I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to read through my thread. With regards to the upcoming test, the other person is instructed to provide no more than 5% resistance, which means that they are just to *be a body* and not resist. They are not supposed to *help* either as both parties risk injury in that case.

There is a huge focus on safety, and things are done in a way to promote everyone's safety. This curriculum has also been vetted by more than 5 medical groups as well, and has been determined to be very safe for all involved when done correctly.

Having done this in the past, both as just a *student* as well as an *instructor*, I know that there is no pivoting action to my knees. All of the going to the floor motions mimic a lunge. Prior to TKR I had practiced the *assists* on my own on a regular basis to try to develop muscle memory.

While this is the 1st time I will be going through the recertification process, it is my understanding that there is far less repetition of the assists than there was during the initial certification. Basically I just need to demonstrate that I can perform all of them appropriately just once, and do not have to engage in repeated practice. I should also be able to go through the practice (before the official skill out) with some modifications such as pretending there is a person. I will also seek out the smallest and lightest person to do the skill out with. For the practice it is preferred to match height wise due to the need to switch roles, but there is the option to choose who will be your *acting out person* for the skill out.

I know that I should get a cart, but I haven't yet found one that suits my needs and can traverse different terrain easily (i.e. gravel, dirt/mud, large gaps in sidewalks, etc.) I understand that maybe I am missing indicators, but Spence feels good when walking and does not struggle with what I carry (no limping, muscle fatigue, immediate swelling or pain). There are some days when the load is much lighter than others or the distance I need to walk with is is shorter than others.

Whenever I am not at work I am resting and usually icing. Except for the 5 lunges I attempted today/last evening (depending on when this is read), I have done no additional exercise. I also limit walking in the evenings and weekends (for the most part).

Any pain that I do have is generally reduced/eliminated by Tylenol, except for some *nervy* type pain that may be present one evening and then not recur for another week or two. The pain does present in different locations, and is not severe or intense. More just on the ouchy scale.

I cannot delay the certification as I am responsible for teaching it to the agencies offices in the northeast corner of PA. There is nobody else in the sites that I work who is trained to do so. Fortunately I only need to teach the restraint portion a couple of times a year, and can get someone to come up and assist me. However I do need to teach the escapes and evasions several times a month. I have been doing so, and have limited how much I actually demonstrate, even though these moves are not physically rigorous. In order to continue to be able to teach these less physical components which involve not holding the other person, I need to pass the recertification for everything.

Hopefully this information is some of what you are looking for and that it is not too difficult to follow and understand. I know that sometimes I do not explain things very well.
 
You did a marvelous job of explaining everything! Thank you so much for taking time to do that for me. I am greatly relieved by what I read as it sounds like the recertification process will be much easier on your knee than I originally thought. I'm also pleased that you are aware of the dangers of those twisting motions with your leg and you can be cautious during the certification process.

I think you may be just fine for this test. But I do feel like you should not worry about trying to develop strength. Instead consider your daily work to be your "therapy" and spend every other moment in the next couple of weeks resting your knee with ice and elevation.

You see, you have a bit of a misconception where your pain is concerned. It is rare to experience pain and/or swelling from overdoing things right away during the activity or even immediately afterwards. Remember this is surgery recovery and not an injury. It's different. What happens 99% of the time is you do the overexertion and pain and swelling follow in anywhere from a few hours to a day or two later. Then if you don't rest, ice and elevate to let the damage get resolved, it just amps up the whole inflammation cycle. You keep your body in a constant state of low or mid level pain and the tissues never have an opportunity to settle down and heal. Keep this up long enough and your body can "learn" that response. That's when the pain moves from acute to chronic.

People often have a tough time understanding that, while their knee might feel better immediately when you exercise when your knee feels tight, what's going to happen is that hours later the response of your body will be to swell and create pain. If your knee tightens up, a better approach might be to do some stretching and then massage your knee and leg. You can use heat afterwards if that feels better than ice. Take something - even Tylenol to assist in relieving that tight feeling. It feels tight because you have internal swelling. When you do a massage, rub in circular motions from your shin to mid-thigh. That encourages movement of any fluid toward your torso so your lymph system can remove it. They lymph system works very slowly, but this massage action can really help move things along.

What about a cart like this? It's designed to easily go up stairs, it would traverse sidewalk cracks and go over rough terrain. I saw some less expensive ones on Amazon, but this one seemed sturdier and I liked that it has a bag to hold whatever loose items you might be transporting. Since it's a business expense, remember you may be able to write it off your annual income tax too!

https://www.upcart.com/
 
I'm skeerd of water:scaredycat:

Me, too!!!!! I SO did not like my one pool therapy session, but that was compounded by happening at 4 weeks post op, before I was ready for it physically or mentally.
 
Well, I think your best strategy would be to practice the moves every day .. that would be very specific training and since you only have one rep of each perhaps they will become easier with time and you will gain some of the strength needed to do them with the real person.
 
spend every other moment in the next couple of weeks resting your knee with ice and elevation.

This is what I have been doing for the most part since returning to work. Ice and elevate every night; rest, ice and elevate throughout most weekends.

you have a bit of a misconception where your pain is concerned. It is rare to experience pain and/or swelling from overdoing things right away during the activity or even immediately afterwards.

Perhaps I was not very clear in my explanation. I do understand how the whole pain thing works. I suppose what I should have said is that I am not seeing an increase in pain as a result of my activity going to and from work, not later in the day or in the days that follow. I do pay attention to these things, as for me, many times if I overdo something it may take up to 2 days to show it's full impact. I understand that this is not equivalent to an injury, but I have had 7 orthopaedic surgeries in the past 6 years. I realize that this is the first tkr, but it is not the first surgery that had caused a good deal of trauma to bone and soft tissue. So I have been taking Tylenol at least twice a day, and I ice daily for hours at a time in the evening, and I rest and elevate as much as possible.

I do continue to see progress, no matter how small. Yes, I have setbacks from time to time, maybe I move wrong, or forget that I shouldn't do certain things, like take the stairs 2 at a time, but do it out of habit until my mind catches up and realizes what is happening, then I stop. I can't pinpoint too many things that have aggravated Spence, and certainly nothing that icr, rest and Tylenol can't take care of.

What about a cart like this? It's designed to easily go up stairs, it would traverse sidewalk cracks and go over rough terrain

I really appreciate that you took the time to look up some carts, and I do think the one you posted a link to might do the trick. I saw a similar one in a store, but it had hard, hollow plastic wheels that seemed as if they could break easily. So thank you again for this!!

@kmak81230, your suggestion was actually what I was leaning towards doing. I could start with a few of the moves, with an imaginary person, and add additional ones every couple of days depending on how Spence reacts. Then in the few days before I can practice *for real* using my niece or nephew as the *acting out* person, just so I am comfortable doing them with a real person.
 
@Fire wolf when do you have to take this test? I will be sending good thoughts and prayers out there for you. I am sure you will do fine.
 
Once again, I appreciate the detailed explanation of your approach to your recovery. It always is a fine balance between the things we might like to do, things we know we should do for our well being and those things we have to do in life (like jobs, family care, etc.). You're right that I misunderstood you and it does seem like you have your head in the right place. More power to you then and I hope you get through all this with as little impact on your recovery as possible.

Should you purchase that cart, I would appreciate you letting me know how it works! Good luck to you.
 
@JJ65 it is on Oct 25th.

@Jamie, once again I want to tell you how much I appreciate your time, concern, and advice. I know that I have a tendency to want to do too much at times, and I have been working on keeping that in check with this recovery. Of course, Bionic Spence has a mind of his own and will push those boundaries at times! :oyvey: For the most part, I have managed fairly well even with his occasional attempts to show off. However, I did ask for advice because I wanted to make sure that I would not unintentionally go overboard.

I know that I have a little over 3 weeks before this skill out session and that much can happen between now and then. I think getting used to the movements without a person, and in a slow way where I start with one or two and build up may cause the least amount of problems. Fortunately most of the time I will be kneeling on my left leg, just by the nature of how the assists are performed, so that is good. I just want to make sure that Spence's leg can control things as I go to 1 knee. Given the fact that steps are not an issue for me gives me encouragement that it will be up for the task.

I still wear the thigh high compression stockings on days that I have longer drives, or when I know I will be sitting somewhere that I can't elevate, or if it seems more swollen, or sometimes just because it feels good. I figure that they help keep the swelling down, and aren't uncomfortable to wear.

Ice has been my best friend for years now, and it will continue to be into the foreseeable future. I do try heat from time to time on different areas, though never directly on Spence, and it seems that my body prefers ice, which is fine with me.
 
I really hope your test goes well. I know if anyone can do this, that would be you! Spence may be difficult at times, but he'll have your back. Any chance of pictures?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom