Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fire wolf recovery<

Wow, again. I'm so sorry you had that additional pain to deal with.
 
It is quite a journey, isn't it? Look how far you've come in a relatively short time. I know, at the time, it seemed like an eternity! And look at that bend! Wow! Just, WOW!
 
@Thesoutherncook, yes it is quite the journey! It still feels like an eternity though! :chinstroke: I still have much more progress to make before I can truly say that this has all been worth it. :umm: But, like everyone else, I will keep putting 1 foot in front of the other and keep heading towards the horizon. :walking: (You know, that horizon that is always in the distance no matter how far we may travel! :rotfl:) Thank you for your kind words! :yes:
 
@Fire wolf ok I have to be stupid and ask how you fell 4 hours after surgery? They are usually so very careful with patients after surgery. By the way, I love the pictures you took of the progress of healing.
 
Well, this nurse's aide wasn't so careful! Nerve block was still working. I told aide that I needed to go to the bathroom. She said she needed to wait for the nurse. I was fine with that. After a few minutes I guess she didn't want to wait or get a nurse, so she got walker for me to go to the bathroom. I could feel my foot on the floor, but didn't realize I couldn't feel part of my leg. (I was still pretty out of it from anesthesia). She walked along on my left side, not assisting in any way, shape or form, and I reached about halfway, almost to the doorway, and went straight down on Bionic Spence.

It was a bit ouchy even with the nerve block! She didn't call for help, but asked if she could help me up. I declined as she was much shorter than I and didn't seem to be much help to this point! I slid myself to the bed so that I could grab the bed and pull myself up, which I was able to do fairly easily.

Here comes the best part..... She brought the walker back over, and I proceded to walk to the bathroom! I did notice a handy bedside commode in there which the nurse later brought out and had me use until I had feeling and control in my leg again. I managed to not only bust my incision open, but severely sprained my rt ankle as well. Yay me!

I will say that the nurses were fantastic. They were all very upset by what happened, and did their best to help me to be as comfortable as possible. I didn't actually realize that I sprained my ankle until I got home. PA took xrays at my staple removal visit to make sure I didn't break my ankle.
 
I did fine with the bedside commode, @JJ65, once they brought it out! I was able to slide from bed straight onto it. PT or anyone else for that matter, ever used a belt or held onto me in any other way, although I felt much steadier later the next day! Happy to hear that you had a better experience!
 
i don't know why but i'm craving a reese's peanut butter cup.:shrug: poor you with that fall, the bruising, swelling and pain but look how far you've come.:yes: thanks for posting the pics. have a great weekend.
 
Well, Bionic Spence did not react well to the 5 lunges I did the other day as practice. He got cranky a couple of days later so I haven't revisited them again yet. It's been back to regular routine of work, rest, ice and elevate with no additional moves. Am I frustrated, yes. Will I try again in a couple of more days, probably, but maybe doing only 2 or 3. I don't know if it would be better to do 2 or 3 at once, or 1 at a time, but 2 or 3 times during the day.

I have also thought of @Jamie's suggestion of doing nothing but ice and elevate until 10/25 and just see what happens that day. I figure it will definitely put me in ODIC if I do nothing but rest until then, but maybe that is a better alternative than a couple of trips to ODIC between now and then? Or maybe a few brief trips to ODIC now will prevent one big one later? Or maybe taking it very slow means no ODIC now or then?

Why can't it just be better already!!!:headbang:
 
Such a hard call! Maybe if you just wait until that day you will have more healing by then to handle the demand of that test better? By practicing you might just upset Spence more, like this time. I don't know.

Can you spend a second night at the hotel there? Maybe even take the next day off to recover?
 
@Jockette unfortunately I cannot stay over another night, as that would just mean an even longer drive the next morning to get to work. If it was an option, I definitely would have asked. Taking the next day off is not an option either, unfortunately, but on the bright side, it will be only 2 days before the weekend!
 
Im sorry it's not on a Friday!
 
That would be ideal @Jockette! My only consolation is knowing that I am tough and will be able to handle whatever the ramifications.
 
Well after being tough on Wednesday Thursday and Friday pamper yourself with something special over the weekend!

We'll all be thinking of you!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Gosh, @Fire wolf, I would be leaning toward one big ODIC after the event, rather than doing that over and over to myself. You know you can do the moves, right? If I had to practice ahead of time, I might just do one at a time, spread out over a day.
 
The idea is to allow your tender tissues the time to rest and heal. That's why the recommendation to do lots of rest and ice in these coming weeks. However, just because you are resting and icing doesn't mean you should completely be sitting around all day and night. There would be nothing wrong with adopting a brief exercise program that involved some of the moves you need to practice before the certification test. Just start slowly and don't do too much the first few days....like maybe 5 minutes a couple of times a day. Then if you're not experiencing any pain and swelling on day 3, you could slowly add more time or movements. It's a slow and steady process that takes patience....the ugly "P word." If you do this as a slow progression, you should be able to avoid the ODIC Club for a while and the inflammation should be eased by the time you take the test.
 
Well, since doing 5 lunges, which simulate the movement aggravated things, I wasn't sure if more rest would be the way to go. It's tough finding that balance, especially when I felt like there were days I was able to do much more a few months ago. Nothing makes sense.
 
@Jamie I understand, and believe me I am not sitting around doing nothing except icing, elevating and resting. I do walk daily, and work takes a toll, so at night during the week I do tend to sit and ice/elevate, same with weekends, but I go up and down stairs frequently during weel and weekend to help build strength as well.

I am just trying to find a good balance so as not to go into the test already in ODIC. I know I may come out of it in ODIC, and am prepared to deal with that. I need to be careful not to go overboard beforehand, as I have a natural tendency to want to push my own limits.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom