Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fire wolf recovery<

Well then Kit-Kat, be sure to join us in the Super-Swellers social forum!
 
So I really need to start on strengthening my quads, hamstrings and calves. I am trying to figure out what the best way to do that in the shortest amount of time is. I have 1 month before my recertification in physical restraints, and I need to have a decent amount of strength.

Fortunately it's just a 1 day session, as opposed to 5- 8 hour days last year when I was 1st certified. That was pretty hard on Original Spence. It was in Dec and I was already in daily pain from tearing Spence, and wearing unloader brace daily. I would ice every night in hotel room, and was almost in tears nightly. By the end of the week I could barely walk.

When I had to teach a class in Jan, it hurt just as bad, if not worse, even though it was 1 day. I think it took about 5 days before I recovered and could walk more normally.

I don't expect this upcoming event to be nearly as bad as either of those. I know that Bionic Spence will be able to handle it, though I am sure he will swell and need ice when I get home. I have a 2 hour drive home afterwards which may be rough. They are getting me a room so I can go down the night before, that way I don't have the 2 hr drive that morning, and I can ice Spence that morning.

My biggest concern is that my muscles may not yet be strong enough for the challenge. Trying not to join ODIC between now and then bc I know that will set me back further and make 10/25 that much more difficult.
 
Hugs to you as you prepare for this. I'll be thinking of you!
 
You've got this Marie! A lot of strength can happen in a month. Your biggest challenge will be staying out of the ODIC as you work on making your quads and shins up to the task. Don't overdo it! Just a little more each week will get you there.
 
@Fire wolf, what exact types of moves will be required of you that day? How much weight are you expected to handle?
 
No gym membership, no bicycle or anything. Do have some weights. I have to be able to secure an average adult and be able to get him/her to the ground in a controlled way, then take them from seated (with me on 1 knee) to laying on the floor (with me either sitting or kneeling, depending on the hold).
 
There are several different holds in standing, kneeling and seated positions for me, which means they are either standing, sitting, or lying down. Also need to be able to reverse all of them to get the person standing again.
 
Would you say that it's primarily quad strength that's needed? That's how it sounds to me. You certainly have the flexibility to kneel as you've already proven. Have you tried any modified squats?
 
Is the person resisting you? If so, my guess is you also might need to improve upper body strength? Maybe joining one of those gyms that allows a monthly membership would be beneficial, and you could possibly enlist the help of a trainer? Either that, or perhaps go back to PT for a few sessions to point you in the right direction with what you can do safely at home?
 
@Pheebs52 Yes, mostly quad strength, but need hamstring strength to stay balanced muscularly so as not to injure anything. Tried doing some lunges today, as that is actually what much if the movement involves. Will be adding squats as well. Yes, not concerned about the bending or kneeling, and I have fabulous knee pads from when I did it last year.
 
Yes, I was going to suggest squats or wall sits - they have been helpful in working on my quads. I also do kneeling movements - hard to describe - maybe I'll take a picture
 
How did you do with the lunges? Are you doing them on stairs or floor?
 
My upper body strength is decent, especially do to all of the lugging around of stuff that I do. The assists actually require more leg strength than. They are not offering resistance, but size may be a factor. Due to my height I get paired with people of similar height, which may be a male weighing more than 200 pounds.
 
Good grief / a male weighing 200# - do you want to borrow one of my hockey sticks?
 
The lunges were ok. Doing them on the floor to get used to it. When I wear the sleeve on my thigh that my OS recommended, it makes a big difference for the better. I didn't do many for fear of doing too much.
 
Are you doing any walking as an exercise each day?
 
@kmak81230 I actually have a hockey stick from several years ago when I was going to play pond hockey with some coworkers. :heehee: Actually, in December the gentleman I was paired with for most of the week was probably close to 300lbs and I was able to manage quite well!
 
@Pheebs52 that is part of the problem. I walk at work, but with all of the driving, by the time I get home, make something to eat, do some stuff around the house that needs to be done, I'm exhausted!:tiredwheel:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom