Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fire wolf recovery<

Anyone have the mysterious tourniquet pain return after it going away? I am sure this is something different, but it feels the same. Pain in my upper thigh, I guess like a nerve pain?? I have been rubbing it throughout the night, like I used to do right after surgery for awhile, but it doesn't help any more now than it did then. It's a dull, almost achy kind of pain, but not muscular, at least not as far as I can tell.

I don't know if it's from not stretching as much lately, or if it's from the weather, or if it's being caused by aliens, but it is very uncomfortable and I would like it to show itself out the door permanently. Makes it hard to get comfortable to sleep or just relax in general.

Starting to wish I was in the Slow Benders club, as there seems to be less pain happening there. :sad:
 
Sorry you aren't feeling so good. You went back to work so very early maybe Spence is just rebelling and wanting some time back! I headed to bed to ice tonight. OS said I'm not icing enough....:ice:Beatrice looks like it too, pretty swollen tonight. I hope your pain doesn't keep you awake!
 
I'm sorry your thigh is painful right now. I guess it's one of those roller coaster dips they talk about. I hope it's better soon!
 
Even now I'll have mysterious aches and pains that come on quickly and leave just as quickly! I don't believe you have anything to worry about. It might have been a leftover from your strange pain the other day.

Are you feeling better today?
 
Starting to wish I was in the Slow Benders club, as there seems to be less pain happening there.

Huh? Uh, no, FW. We have plenty of pain in our club. In fact, pain--or at least ouchiness-- may be our middle name. I'll have to take a poll. We are quite possibly the "Ouchy, Slouchy, Super Swellers," at least on our worst days. :heehee:

I just hate it when I "suddenly" have pain when I can think of nothing I did that would bring it on. I especially hate it when it happens at night! Boo! Hiss! Yes, ma'am, I have had that achy, nervy thigh pain come and go, come and go. Every time it goes, I celebrate and think, "Woo hoo! I've turned that corner!" Then I turn a few more corners, and there it is again. I guess if I don't want it back, I can't keep going left all the time. :loll:
 
Last edited:
Anyone have the mysterious tourniquet pain return after it going away? I am sure this is something different, but it feels the same. Pain in my upper thigh, I guess like a nerve pain?? I have been rubbing it throughout the night, like I used to do right after surgery for awhile, but it doesn't help any more now than it did then. It's a dull, almost achy kind of pain, but not muscular, at least not as far as I can tell.
If you've tried icing it and that didn't help,maybe some heat would help? A hottie or a wheat bag?
 
Not much pain in the slow benders club - we're just a bunch of "stiffs." Hope your tourniquet pains goes away soon. I've been rocking on the glider on my patio this afternoon and now have the tight band feeling above the knee. I do like the stretch it provides though.
 
I wonder if Spence's little jog across the street set it off @Fire wolf? I know, I know, he was just trying to avoid getting run over, but...still I think it's possible Spence triggered this. That said, it seems we are subject to all sorts of oddball aches and pains throughout this recovery that don't always correlate to what we've done. In sandwich terms, tkr recovery pains are *mystery-meat* ya know? It keeps us guessing if we choose to indulge that path. For the most part, maybe 80% of the time, I try to ignore any wayward pains. For me, it's typically related to some ODIC stuff or just an old-fashioned, clumsy move.

I must agree with Kmak81230, we ARE a bunch of stiffs; ugh!
 
Celle suggests a hottie or a wheat bag......I say go for the hottie lol! Warm those thighs girl!
I did mean a warm wheat bag. I said if icing doesn't help, try warmth, and suggested 2 alternative methods.
 
@Celle, I second your thoughts on trying warmth. That especially seems to help me when the site is achy. I did have a bit of a laugh, though, over the "hottie." If that couldn't stop the pain, at least [he? She?] might distract us from it! A dear friend and mentor from NZ and I have over the years shared many giggles over the differences in our language. Sometimes she still tries to stump me, especially with old sayings from her grandmother.
 
@becticu I hope that you were able to give Beatrice the frozen rest treatment! :ice: You are certainly on your feet quite alot, at least that is my understanding. Even if not, Beatrice has certainly had quite the eh-hmm *adventure* so far! :tiredwheel:

@Jockette you are probably right, although this is one roller coaster ride that I am not fond of in the least! :bignono:

@sistersinhim yes, overall I am feeling better, and the nervy pain disappeared by morning. Even the pain from the other day improved, though I cannot yet claim to be pain-free.:sorry:

@Polkadot while I certainly would not wish random pains on anyone, it is somewhat comforting to know that others are experiencing the same thing. This is something that has been coming and going for me with no apparent rhyme or reason, :what: so I can chalk it up to *normal* if it is something shared by others. And by the way, you Ouchy Slouchy Super Swellers are quite a spectacular group! Must have something to do with all of those shiny red boxes of patience that @Pheebs52 sends out! :wink: And it probably wouldn't kill you to turn right every now and again, just to switch things up! :rotfl: I do understand how things can get misinterpreted or misread due to not only differences in how we use language, but also due to texts being hard to interpret as you don't have the verbal context to help. Funny how we may all speak *English*, but things mean different things based on where we are from!

@Celle I completely understood what you were saying, and I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried moist heat in the past for this issue and it has not helped, nor has ice. That is part of my frustration as well. Not only is it random, but I can't figure out what to do to alleviate it, other than wait it out I guess. :umm:

@kmak81230 it sounds like you had a lovely afternoon rocking away. I still get that tight band feeling as well, depending on what I am doing, but can tolerate it well enough. And you are all the loosest bunch of *stiffs* I have ever encountered! :spin::dancy:

@Canada35 thank you for making me laugh to the point of almost sending liquid projectiling from my nose! :loll: I now know that beverages and reading forum posts do not always mix well! :no-fin: I do like your interpretation and suggestion though! :wink:

@Pheebs52 I did consider Spence's evasive actions as a potential cause, but ruled it out only because this particular pain has been a recurring issue. I do think that his stunt caused a slight increase in swelling and different pain, so he is currently in time out as a punishment. Of course, he is not at all happy about that! :tantrum: I do love the analogy with *mystery meat*, however. I haven't heard that in a number of years, and it too almost caused me to either spew liquid from nostrils or aspirate on it! :heehee: Since I read all of the posts in one sitting, the lesson learned from @Canada35 had not quite registered yet. :doh:

So the pain left, and has returned slightly. Seems to only appear at night recently, so maybe not moving around has something to do with it? :chinstroke: I will keep trying different ways to manage it, but at least you have all helped me to be less concerned about it, so I thank you all for that! :loveshwr:
 
@Fire wolf, are you trying to kill us....softly, of course? If one could die from laughing, I'm a goner.:rotfl:

Now, on a more serious note, I wonder if it's possible your evening thigh ache is *just* swelling? Are you by any chance a Super-Sweller? I know your ROM is supreme, but does that preclude you from this watery issue? Maybe so, maybe not. I certainly don't know. What I DO know, is my swelling is always more obvious at night. Sometimes it's the quad, sometimes the knee, sometimes both, occasionally the hamstring area. I think I've become so accustomed to it I just tend to ignore it....but that's not to say I like it. I do not. For me, it causes a throbbing type of thigh ache when it's centered there. I find getting up and walking about the house more at night helps to alleviate it some. For instance, I cannot sit and watch an entire movie without an *intermission.* Annoying, but manageable. Mistah is long-suffering. :heehee: So, I get up, walk upstairs, make a cup of tea, take a dog out, and then I'm good for the rest of the movie.
 
@Celle I completely understood what you were saying, and I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried moist heat in the past for this issue and it has not helped, nor has ice. That is part of my frustration as well. Not only is it random, but I can't figure out what to do to alleviate it, other than wait it out I guess. :umm:
I hope something helps, soon. :fingersx:

My husband is a recent convert to using a warm wheat bag. He had a very sore, stiff neck that didn't improve at all, even after visits to PT and a chiropractor. I rubbed Deep Heat on it one night, and Voltaren Gel another night, to no avail.
The following night, I warmed up a wheat bag for him. He slept with that on his neck all night and woke up with no more neck pain.
 
Reading all the replys has certainly given me my giggles for the morning. :rotfl: FW if you feel like it is nerve pain maybe Gabapentin would help? My shins were doing that nerve crawling pain at night that kept me awake. OS has been do 1 Gabapentin at night and it takes that sensation away. I did drag out the old ice machine and iced all night last night. Beatrice is a little less swollen this morning. I'm going to rototiller my herb garden this morning so I'm guessing more ice in the afternoon.... @Pheebs52 asked if you could have swelling and have good rom and yes you can! My range is good but Beatrice likes to stay swollen. I think it's because I called her Beelzebub for so long...she is still mad at me.

@Fire wolf i hope you find your answers but it seems like every day or so there is new sensation or pain even this far out. Not enough for anything more than Tylenol, but noticeable.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom