Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm being impatient! I am following your advise and as of this minute have had meds, cryo cuff on and knee elevated! Just going to give in and let this journey take me where it takes me :SUNsmile: Bottomshollo, thanks for the advise and the hug :thankyou:
 
Finally got to speak with someone at the OS office :SUNsmile: I have called and left messages about pain medication for three days now :sigh: anyway, got the meds that I needed and feeling much better :dancy: I am taking it easy, it has finally dawned on me that I'm not in competition with anyone and that I will heal at my own rate :whistle: Thanks to all that have given me such good advise :thankyou:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally
@Chickie, as you can see, I am grinning from ear to ear at your decision to roll with the flow of recovery and let your knee do the deciding. You will find that your recovery will be smoother, more comfortable, and actually move at a slightly faster rate than you would expect. Some things are worth waiting for---and a pain free functioning knee is one of them.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Finally
 
Thanks for the smile. I am feeling ever so much better and did enjoy a car ride today. I haven't been outside in a week and it was so good to be among the living :egypdance: Taking it as it comes is the only thing to do. Really don't like the way the meds make me feel but it is so much better than being in pain. :SUNsmile:
 
I just have to tell you, I have watched the video of TKR three times. I am just the type of person that has to see things for myself. No wonder we are all hurting, if you can stomach the videos, I suggest you watch and then you will be able to understand the assault done to your knee.....and I ask for this?? Just approaching the 7 week mark and feeling so much better. Doing small things, loading the dishwasher, laundry and I have learned to sit while doing a lot of things. I have been walking my dog and that gets me out for about 10 minutes. Why does everyone in the world want to talk and keep you standing?? Sometimes I just want to kick them in the knee and say, now lets talk! Anyway, just my observations on the recovering lifestyle of the more mature and not so very rich, gimpy patient. :giggle:
 
Just wants to check in and wish everyone a Happy 4th! I have been treating myself very good and it is paying off. The knee says let me rest and ice and elevate me! I have been doing just that with amazing results :happydance: I have been limiting my walking time, only taking extra strength Tylenol and icing, elevating and resting? I'm getting very tired of resting but I know, I will be happy I have done it. Thanks to all that have helped me along the way :whistle: I know I will be happy I did this in the near future :thankyou:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally
I am just feeling them coming from your post, Chickie! I just love it when a BoneSmartie has really gotten with the program and is reaping all the benefits from following the mantra. A little boredom is a small price to pay for a really successful recovery. You're one of our poster children here on the forum----keep up the good work!


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Finally
 
It is so hard to just let go and let our bodies heal at their own pace, isn't it? It's hard to admit that we aren't in control, but that's what we need to do. Sounds like you are at that point. I'm almost there..... Have a wonderful 4th of July!
 
Thanks to bottomshollow and Lovestoread! We humans are funny aren't we? I had gone off my oxycodone and tried to go with Extra Strength Tylenol :gaah: now, I am asking why on earth would I do that?? :shrug: after deciding I was probably ingesting way too much Tylenol, this morning I took the oxycodone (5mgs) and am feeling so much better :sigh: I am going to see the OS on Wednesday and ask for a step down, maybe 3.5mgs. It amazes me what pain and suffering we put ourselves through and for what? More improvement as I really begin to see the light :thumb: I am dedicated to making this as easy as possible, otherwise, what do I do it??
 
Norco has never done much for my pain after past surgeries. This time I had OxyContin with Norco for breakthrough pain. I would take a Norco 2-3 times a day...maybe once every six hours, even though I was allowed 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I was telling the nurse on wednesday that now that I'm off the OxyContin the 2 or 3 Norco just weren't cutting it. She said to take 2 every four hours round the clock. That's what's allowed and not be afraid to take them. She said "don't be stingy with them. You have a refill, too." Guess I wanted to think I was farther along in my recovery than I was. (I was 8 days out when I spoke to her) Even though we are now bionic, we aren't superhuman apparently!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally
Only the knees are bionic. The rest of us is just flesh and blood---it's just the mind that sees us as a superhuman. Oh, well, we can dream, can't we?
 
Norco is Hydrocodone...I think it's much the same as vicodin. I've had Tramadol in the past, but that didn't do much for me either. For some reason, pain meds have never done for me what they do for others. That was a big fear of mine going into surgery. Oddly, my brother had surgery last Friday. First time for surgery for him and first time for Norco. Before I said anything to him about my experiences with Norco, he told me it didn't seem to be doing anything for him. Wonder why it seems great for some and not for others. Sounds like some doctors have their favorites and that's what they offer.
 
I looked it up....a rose by any other name!! It really does great for me, I guess I was going to be super woman but I don't have any problems taking it if it makes me feel better! I am just human and want to have control over everything, while in truth, I have control over nothing. I'm going to sit back and let the knee be the boss! I can believe you are going to have anoth one in August. Hopefully, I will continue on with the left knee, as it gives me no problems! Good luck with the other one and with this one! Thanks so much for responding to me Lovestoread! You are the best!
 
If this surgery does anything, it makes us realize that we aren't in charge at all, right? I guess the sooner we realize it the better off we are. I know it sounds crazy having the other one done six weeks after the first, but that's the way my doctor does it. I'm thinking that since my surgery is the "quad-sparing" type, the recovery is a bit easier. Also, I work I work in a school and summer is the perfect time for me to do this.
 
Wish they had done that on me...my quads were screaming for the first 5 weeks! It does get better and I am doing my own PT at home. I was released from PT before 4 weeks with perfect extension and 130 degrees of ROM! I know this is not typical and put it down to the fact that I have exercised all my life. For the past few years I have been doing yoga and can't wait to get back to it! I hope you have a great night :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile:
 
I was still going to the gym several days a week and working on strengthening all my leg muscles. I do think it has helped. Sounds like you've done just great! I will hold you up as my model!! Have a great weekend!
 
Wht a difference it makes, in recovery, when you follow the advise on Bonesmart! I have been able to do more and feel better just by being good to myself.....resting, icing, elevating and working smarter. Thanks to all for helping me get where I am today!
 
Hi Chickie. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your recovery. I'm almost 3 weeks post TKR surgery and like Suzyblue in New Zealand, here in the UK we only have physio while in hospital and then do our own thing once we get home. I thought this was a bad thing but on hearing about pushy PT's I wonder if our way may be better. I had a really bad day yesterday and discovered this forum when looking for inspiration to get me through. The advice is invaluable and today I am in a much better place. I understand that my poor traumatised knee is desperate for a little ice and rest rather than me itching to get it moving and back to normal.

Good luck with your recovery - we are all in it together and will all be fabulous once we are well again :dancy:
 
I just have to share this! I went to my OS yesterday and while they are great at the mechanics of the knee, they don't have a clue as to what goes on in recovery! I overheard one of his assistants say, if you like your PT, he/she is not doing their job and the OS agreed! :gaah: I didn't get in to a conversation about PT, that would be like preaching to the choir :angel: He did pronounce me to be great and to continue on with what I am doing.....didn't have the heart to tell him how I had gotten here :happydance:

I am going to try and post a picture I took on the way to the OS yesterday. I painted my toenails for the first time in 9 weeks :yay: I hope it works...also put my flips on for the first time this summer.

Enjoy! For all you bone smarties out there, keep fighting the good fight the Bonesmart way :SUNsmile:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Finally
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 132
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom