Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my wedge cushion yesterday and it is wonderful....took care of the swelling right away, overnight anyway! Very sore muscles today from therapy yesterday. I have tried moist heat, thank you Bonesmart, and the relief was great. I do have a question about that, how do I keep it from cooling off too quickly? I also got a new gel pack yesterday that wraps around my knee and it has really done the trick for relieving the tight feeling on the back of my knee. Feeling good this morning and very positive! I did take the dog for a walk yesterday, good thing I have spent countless hours training him, he matches my pace and is such a comfort to have with me. Walking in the house without my cane! :yay:
 
4 weeks post op today. Had therapy today and they released me! ROM 130 :rofsign: extension, perfect :giggle: I am beyond happy, following Bonesmart advise all the way but I'm not finished yet :thankyou:
 
Well done Chickie those are really good figures you have a right to be proud. Well done. :)
 
Well done Im going for my check tomorrow I dont think I will be so lucky my right leg will not extend all the way but hopefully with more time it will.
 
Good Saturday morning from Tennessee :SUNsmile: I have been walking without any cane or help. Doing my exercises, elevating and ice, that is so important for everyone in recovery :beg: We had a neighborhood yard sale yesterday and I got a foot bath massager for $5, so excited. I was just looking at my feet and thinking I need something to soak these in besides the tub and viola :flwrysmile: haven't done anything with it yet but I will. My muscles are really sore, I have very minimal swelling but have applied moist heat this morning and it feels great! I'm off today for the Lavender Festival in Oak Ridge and meeting friends for lunch :happydance: It's suppose to be hot today so packing my gel pack in ice and heading out. Good thing, hubby drives and I sit in the back seat and stretch out my legs for comfort. Everyone, have a good day, stay positive, it does get much better :angel:
 
Hope you enjoyed your day Chickie, I also have been walking around without the crutches and it feels great, although a bit hard on the back and then the swelling starts later on but its great and its just more recovery,
I am dying to have a soak in the bath I think i will get in alright but the getting out will be difficult so will stick to the shower for a while.
I am off for a ride in the car today also we are house hunting so going to a beautiful town here in New Zealand called Greytown it is a lovely small country town and a fantastic place to retire in, although bit young to retire yet but good to get in early.
 
Suzyblue, I hope you had a nice car ride on Saturday! I had a wonderful time at the Lavender Festival and enjoyed lunch with friends but I was so tired and had a swollen leg and ankle when I got home :sigh: I slept so good, went to church on Sunday and had dinner after, came home and took a lovely nap :SUNsmile: I have decided I am pushing myself too hard as I woke this morning to a great deal of pain. I can't decide if it muscle or not, as I continue with my exercises everyday. Today it will be more resting and icing. I just started reading Inferno by Dan Brown so that should keep me still most of the day. I feel so good, it is hard to stay down for long. I hope you have a wonderful Monday :flwrysmile:
 
I forgot!! I showered yesterday for the first time standing up and no one in the room with me making sure I don't fall....even shaved my legs :yes!:
 
I'm so glad you had a good day, but sad that it was too much. Slow and easy is best. Now what is slow and easy. That question is so hard to answer. I found if I did one new thing in a day and the next I wasn't sore then I can do it again. Now the question is what do I try. I found that when I was recovering I had to remember I haven't done anything for some time and that I had a major event in my life and body is still healing. My first things were going shopping and walking for a couple of minutes on a level sidewalk. Then if not sore the next day I increased the minutes walking. If I went to coffee with a friend I made sure I didn't sit too long and get stiff. Slow and easy is the best and only you know what that is. Shaved your legs that is so great! What a wonderful success event. Take care. Tashia
 
Hi Chickie, Yes I had a great day out and even managed to walk around the supermarket although hanging onto the trolley, but like you I was sore the next day so yes a little at a time is probably the best way to go, I also feel really good too so just want to get out there and start my new life but just have to be patient, I have my six weeks check with the Surgeon on Wednesday so all should be good.
The last two nights I haven't slept well either so not sure why I just lie there and cant get to sleep. I suppose its just all the resting that I'm not used to.
You made me laugh about shaving your legs, I was just looking at mine and was thinking I better them done before Wednesday.
Hope your feeling good today. :flwrysmile:
 
I am sorry you are not sleeping well. I do believe it from all the resting but keep it up, it's good for us. I am a week behind you on Wednesday, it will be 5 weeks for me, we are just too impatient! I have kept my shower stool in the tub and I sat on it when I shaved my legs! If you have one and can manage with it in the tub, just try it for shaving. I have mine in the front of the tub and I also have a shower head that can be a handheld....I just remove that sucker, put the shaving cream in the tub and shave to my hearts content! Good luck and be careful :SUNsmile: It does so much for the ego to be able to do things on our own. :yay:
 
Happy showering, chickie!:egypdance:
 
Oh me! Went to sleep around 8:30 last night, woke at 12:30! Haven't done that in some time, I stayed up until 4:00, went back to bed, have slept off and on for the most part. What is up with that? I have discovered that I actually forget to eat. I start feeling really bad and then it hits me, I haven't eaten :gaah: I have finally had breakfast and slowly beginning to feel better. Did I mention that all day yesterday my whole leg ached and I never could get rid of that feeling. Well, the reason is falling out of the sky as liquid sunshine :sigh: Is this common? I really want to get to my sewing machine but for some reason, no drive :what: On the other hand, everything is green and lush outside and the view out my window looks like I live in a treehouse :SUNsmile: ice on the knee, meds taken and rest is once again the word of the day :flwrysmile:
 
Help! Having sharp stabbing pain in the area around the new knee. Feels sort of like the pins and needles while waking a sleeping foot. Could this be nerves waking up. Also, the numb area on the right side of my knee seems to be getting smaller. It really doesn't hurt, just uncomfortable....thoughts?
 
^Yep, that could be exactly it.
 
I woke Saturday morning with the worst pain in my leg, right below and on the right side of my knee. Finally had to break down and take Percocet. It helped some but I have already had two doses of it today, resting, icing and elevating. I went to lunch with hubby yesterday and almost fell in to a table of diners!! Have been in bed since I got home yesterday. This pain feels like it did when I first had surgery. I still have excellent ROM but the pain is really bad. It hurts to walk, back on my cane, I feel like I have taken a giant leap backward since Friday. Any clue as to what is happening? Should. Go to the ER? The pain medication is causing me to itch and I am also taking antihistamine for that....I am really discouraged. :boohoo:
 
Please don't be discouraged - its still early days for you!
Mollycoddle your leg - it deserves it!
It can be disheartening, this plodding on forward and then feeling you are sliding a little backwards. It seems to be very common amongst us though! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
Big hugs.
 
Pain is much worse this morning. I tried to move my leg and something popped, I felt, rather than heard. I can barely bend my leg. This after reaching 130 degree ROM, not quite 4 weeks out from surgery....now I don't have any! I have been exercising everyday and walking a good bit but now I find I can do neither. Help! I am stuck in bed and feeling like I need to drag the walker out again.....
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally
Chickie, TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS AS PRESCRIBED ON A REGULAR SCHEDULE!!!!!!! This is a very long recovery and you need these meds for about the first 3 months. You are going to continue to be in pain and miserable if you don't take them.


Second --- lots of rest, elevation (toes above nose) and ice, ice, and more ice! At least two thirds of your day should be resting, elevating and icing. Exercise should be some walking every couple of hours and very slow easy bends and stretches. If you insist on doing too much too soon and trying to push this knee into submission, again you are going to continue to be in pain and miserable.

Please consider how long it took your knee to reach the point it had to be replaced----why should recovery from this very major surgery be over and done in a few weeks. Our trouble is that we want instant gratification----WE WANT IT NOW!!!!!--- and with recovery from TKR we aren't going to have it for a VERY LONG TIME.

Please, sweetie, take some very, very deep breaths and relax and decide to go with the slow flow of recovery. It is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take. Measure progress in weeks and months not days. YOU WILL GET TO THE END OF RECOVERY ROAD, I promise! But it won't be as soon as you wish or want it to be.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Finally
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom