TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

Still playing the waiting game for the hip injection with my OS office I have left two messages, you can never talk to a live person. Ugh:headbang:

Had my assessment at therapy today. They say I am doing better than they had hoped. I feel like I am not getting anywhere. My extension was at -1 today and my ROM was at 110. I am at 8 weeks today. How frustrating as I had hoped to be further ahead by now. The pain level for this knee is much higher and I occasionally will take a Norco to help with the pain. Mostly I am taking 600 mg of Ibuprofen. I can't take the tylenol as it makes me feel sick to my stomach. The Ibuprofen just takes the edge off doesn't take away the pain. It feels very stiff and sore to the touch. I just wish there was more I could do.
 
It's so frustrating to wait for a call! You end up feeling like a prisoner to the phone! Hang in there!

I think you are doing amazingly well for 8 weeks. I have -2 extension in my right leg and that's after over three months. My ROM is 120 in both knees and she says that's all they recommend during the healing period. At 120 you are totally functional. At 8 weeks I was still on oxycodone and didn't wean myself off it until week 10.

Anyway, I'm impressed with your progress, considering you have a nagging hip on top of everything. Be patient with yourself!
 
Today was a painful day, added to my frustration I think it was one of my most depressing days. I think if the weather would break it might help a bit. I am tired of being trapped in my house. Added to my frustration my ankle has swollen and hurts. I have been icing and elevating today. :flabber::tiredwheel::snow dig: I think maybe I need to watch a funny movie or read a funny book. Something to make me snap out of this.
 
Sorry you are having such a rotten time of it. Have you seen the up-dated version of Handweaving.net? I can't seem to attach the link, but the URL is below - maybe looking at all these wonderful drafts will distract you. Have fun!

https://handweaving.net
 
@Threads Thank you! I have seen it and been looking at 12 shaft drafts. I like the new upgrade. I can't wait to be able to get started on the new loom.

I finally slept last night, I think it was out of sheer exhaustion. I have to go out to the store today, I promised my PT gals that I would get out more and walk, so I am going to buy a potty chair :heehee:. No not for me, our granddaughter is coming on Friday afternoon and they have been trying to convince her that she needs to use it, so I need to get one. Plus I have to buy "Frozen" she is obsessed with it. I have never seen it so I guess that is what we will be doing Friday night.

I have a pain going from my hip down to my knee today. Feels like a charlie horse. And, no I have not heard from my OS office going to call right now and see if I get to talk to a person. This is frustrating. I was hoping to have already had the injection.
 
Therapy today was good, I cannot believe how I lucked out with such a great place. I woke this morning to my knee swollen, I told the therapist and she suggested taping my knee. They also had me work on a new machine that will help strengthen the quads. Because boy do they need strengthening. I am still waiting for the OS office to call, I have called twice and left messages, and have yet to hear from them, I am getting frustrated. My hip is hurting and I would like to get this taken care of.

Today's outing is to the postoffice, I will go later when it hopefully will warm up a bit.
 
@fiberlady - how frustrating not to have heard from your OS AND not to be able to talk to a real person. Do you have an email address for his assistant? I know that has worked for me.

I haven't seen Frozen either but our eldest granddaughter (almost 16) is hired to dress up in a way that represents the heroine of the story and goes to little girls birthday parties. She has little ones following her around in total awe when she's in costume. Enjoy your time with your little one and good luck potty training!

The quads are so important! That's where I'm still having problems getting up from a low surface and stairs. What kind of machine have they got you on?

I've just about finished winding my 7 yd. warp for the scarves, which gives me plenty to sample with. I want to wind another warp for my David loom, which still has the turned twill tie-up on it, before I put my warping mill back in the basement.

Take care and :fingersx: that you'll hear from your OS soon.
 
Another day has gone by and I still have not heard from the OS office. I am going to call again tomorrow. I don't understand how or why they would let someone be ignored like this. @Threads I don't have an email address for this gal, I had one for the last one.

It gets even more frustrating when you cannot sleep because of the hip pain.
 
I wish there was something I could do to help! Do you have any stronger meds left that you could take to get you through the night?

I got distracted today and didn't finish winding my warp. Tonight I went to a spinning night at a friends house. I brought my knitting because I'm not up to carrying my wheel around yet. It was fun and nice to get out.

Take care and fingers still crossed that you will hear from your OS soon!
 
Is there no way you can go to his office and see so one?
Frozen is excellent and music your granddaughter will enjoy it I am sure
I hope you do hear soon take care
Sue


20/01/2015
 
I am headed to the OS on Monday to pick up my prescription and I am going to ask to speak to someone. This has become unacceptable. Monday will be two weeks.

I have been so very busy the last few days, been trying to be more active by getting a walk in every day. Since I cannot walk outside I have been doing errands that require a little bit of walking. Today the knee did not feel as stiff. Although I am a bit more tired and my hip is still unhappy.
 
Don't leave your OS's office until you get an answer!! It looks like you are busy getting your "new to you" loom ready for a warp. I've finally got my warp wound - now to find the time to get it on the loom! Try to have a good weekend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow will be nine weeks post op. Saturday was a very painful day. The area around my knee was so tender and hurt, then add a back ache and I could hardly walk. Curled up on the sofa with our granddaughter and watched frozen.

Today wasn't much better, so took it easy today. Have therapy tomorrow, the knee actually seems to be moving better today. I just wish the tenderness would go away.

We are expecting warmer weather this week. I hope so, sure would like to start seeing grass around here.

@Threads how is the warp coming along? I haven't done much more, I need to get ready for my workshop, will do that tomorrow. I think I will bring my knitting with me just incase I can't sit to weave.
 
@fiberlady - Cindy, my warp is wound and I think I need my head examined. I wound it 7 yds. for the table loom and will be weaving a two block Huck. That will take time and I'm sure it won't be ready for DIL's birthday. I'm going to wind another one for the Louet David in my loom room. That will be the turned twill that I wanted to make her for her birthday but she wanted something more subtle. I like the Royal blue and lime green together, and it doesn't hurt to have a few scarves on the side for gifts.

Have you chosen another pattern for your new loom? I saw what you meant by the floats on your blog.

Try to rest so you have the stamina to enjoy the workshop. The beauty of not having a round robin is that you can knit and listen to what's being said, and do it all at home!

Take it easy at PT tomorrow.
 
Finally got somewhere with the gal from the doctors office and I should be hearing from the hospital to set up the injection for my hip, she said she sent the info to the wrong hospital, hmmm. My knee has been hurting off and on since Saturday with sometimes it being pretty intense. My PT said there is still a lot of inflammation around the knee. I was able to pick up another prescription for pain, which is good because the pain level tonight is pretty high. I find that the more I stand the stiffer my knee gets. I did go to a meeting and sat for two hours tonight, don't know if this contributed to the pain tonight or not, and it is in a whole new area that I have not experienced that much pain before. The outside of the knee. I am now waiting to take another pain pill.

@Threads seven yards on a table loom, wow, hope it is an easy weave structure. Not so sure it was a good idea for me to do an eight harness on a table loom for this workshop. Have you woven on a floor loom since the surgery? I have only tried the new loom and that is just two pedals. I would love to see your draft for the turned twill and especially the two colors you chose. Our weaving study group is going to start with turned drafts this next session and I find this fascinating.
 
I'm glad to hear that you are getting some progress with the OS's office, hopefully you'll get the shot for your hip soon. I wonder if you are protecting your hip and stressing your knee in the process. Not a good situation.

I think I need my head examined! Yes, 7 yds. on the table loom in a two block huck, so I'll really have to pay attention to what I'm doing. I haven't woven on the floor loom yet. The tie-up is a turned twill - hence wanting to weave more turned twill before I change the tie-up. Four of the treadles do a lot of the work, so that means one knee would be working harder than the other! This one isn't my own draft either but I have woven samples of it in Jane's "Units, Blocks & Profiles" Retreat. Here's a very poor photo taken with my old iPad. However, if you look closely you can see the turned twill. If you want a better one, I'll take one for you.

[Bonesmart.org] Finally!!! The second new knee!


Hope your pain is better tomorrow, at least you got a prescription for something that hopefully will give you some relief. Take it easy tomorrow/today.
 
@Threads thanks for the picture, it showed up nicely. Love it.

Last night was extremely painful, it left the day a little achy. Now waiting to hear from the hospital, if I don't hear by Monday I will call again. My hip was misbehaving this evening. My knee always seems so stiff when I stand for awhile. Maybe it is a sign that I should not cook dinner. :heehee: I am headed off tomorrow for a few days away. It will be nice to spend time with fellow weavers. I am hoping that my knee and hip will cooperate.
 
@fiberlady - have a great workshop. I'm glad you are bringing your knitting and you can pace yourself. I'm looking forward to hearing about it on your return!
 
Wow had a few days of happy knee and just being happy. Took a mini vacation with a friend and we went to a two day workshop. We left on Wednesday afternoon. We stopped at a discount mall and went shopping. First time in forever ( oops watched frozen again) I walked around stores. I got tired but was okay. I iced my knee when we got to the hotel and it was fine. The next day during the workshop I was able to prop my leg up and ice it. Again it was feeling pretty good except for the one spot that always gets the sharp shooting pains. I came home late on Friday and the knee felt great. I feel like I have made a turning point. It does not feel as stiff nor does it have as much pain.

Monday will be 9 weeks. Almost double the time of recovery that the last knee took. But I am glad that I am finally getting somewhere.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom