TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

I'm so glad it all worked out and you were able to enjoy the workshop without much pain. Nice to feel you've turned the corner with this knee. Did you get your samples done or do you have some to finish off this week? I gather your hip behaved itself as well.

I've got a warp draped over the small loom and now have the kids until next Thursday - hopefully I can find a bit of time to get it off the floor and on the loom in the next day or so. Everything seems to take me longer still :-(
 
Today is 10 weeks post op and I do feel like I have finally turned that corner. The stiffness is not as bad, I still have pain, especially on to the right and above the knee. The left side has a lot of numbness and I accept that. The last knee had numbness and it took almost the entire year for it to go away.

They have been having me use the leg press and the recumbent bike at therapy. I only have two more sessions to go. I will miss going to therapy and will need to find myself a gym to go to. I won't miss having to get up at 6 to get ready to go.

@Threads I did not finish weaving my warp, I did do 3 samples of the huck lace Rosalie Neilson's method of doing this is awesome she uses overlays, all of this technique will be in her book that she is working on. I hope it comes out soon. She did sell us the extra overlays (they help in designing the huck lace areas). I had a bit of a threading problem, she called them design elements I call them threading errors and will cut off what I did and repair the mistakes and then weave off the remainder of the warp into tea towels. I really learned a lot. I was tired but felt like I was able to make it through the workshop without any problems. I was glad I had brought a table loom as with every huck lace block you had to get down and change the tie ups, I would not have been able to do that. I am however going to look into a wider table loom, I had to change the draft a bit because my loom was narrower. I am looking at the Ashford 24" 8 harness. I realize that I will never be able to take the floor loom to a work shop with me again so I am going to get a table loom that will serve my needs. This is only 3 lbs more than the one I have and I already have a buyer for my Voyager. Now to get it woven.
 
Today is 10 weeks post op and I do feel like I have finally turned that corner. The stiffness is not as bad, I still have pain, especially on to the right and above the knee. The left side has a lot of numbness and I accept that. The last knee had numbness and it took almost the entire year for it to go away.

They have been having me use the leg press and the recumbent bike at therapy. I only have two more sessions to go. I will miss going to therapy and will need to find myself a gym to go to. I won't miss having to get up at 6 to get ready to go.
That is great news!!! You are really making progress!

I understand how you feel about PT---I missed the people and the camaraderie. I actually ordered pizza and pop for their lunch when I was kicked out!

That numbness will go away---and you already know that---it may take some time, but it will dissipate.
 
@referee54 Yes I do feel like I am finally making progress as it seemed so much slower this time than the last time. I am blaming it on the weather. It might not have made a difference, but it gets the blame.

What a great idea of getting them pizza, we have an awesome bagel place here and I think I will bring them bagels. They have all been so nice to me and I really am glad I was able to find a great place with the perfect attitude. They have been very cautious about doing anything that would hurt my hip and have given me great exercises that have made a tremendous difference. I honestly don't think I would have gotten the same care from the last place I went to.
 
There is a togetherness--everybody---the patients and the PT's---are like a team. The compassion and passion helped me through a long and frustrating recovery. In the end, it was bittersweet--I was looking forward to getting discharged, but I realized then I would miss the kindness and the guidance that they showed me.
 
We've got a houseful of energy at the moment, you forget how much energy can be packed into a couple of 11 year olds. We spent part of Sunday out wandering around the University of BC Botanical Garden - it has a canopy walk that the twins enjoyed, several times ;-) I had wanted to go on it but my friends had told me not to - it's a narrow swinging "bridge" between the trees and they through the twists and bounces the bridge makes would be a bit hard on my knees. Next time I'll go. Yesterday we spent 5 hours at Science World, today I've got a pot of onion skins simmering to eventually dye some T-shirts.

Your workshop sounds interesting. I can't quite visualize how you would use overlays in designing lace cloth. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they are about when her book comes out. I do feel sorry for anyone with a floor loom doing a series of lace samples! When I did my workshop on lace, each loom was threaded for a different lace sample - a round robin. But this was the perfect for you and you'll get your samples done at your own pace. I was interested in your comment about getting a table loom for workshops. My table loom will never leave the house again! It's a 23" 12 shaft Woolhouse loom and I can't think of moving it again. Since I doubt that I will take many more workshops, this isn't an issue for me, I can rent a smaller one from the Guild, if I need it. However, I am interested in your search for the right loom. I Googled Ashford table loom and noticed that there was a question that turned into a discussion on Weaveolution. Interesting read - broken link removed: https://weavolution.com/forum/chat/louet-jane-or-ashford-16-8s-table-loom

I've noticed that preferences for equipment are often influenced but what you have used in a round robin workshop or what your friends have. Around here, there are a lot of Jane looms and Woolhouse looms. Ashford spinning wheels of different sizes seem to be the most popular in my neck of the woods.

I'm so glad you are sounding much better! Have you heard from the hospital about your shot???
 
I was able to do more walking today which was great, our weather has finally gotten nicer and was able to walk into my husbands office where I help out once a week. I had not been into the office in over two months and it was nice to get back into the swing of things. The walk from the parking garage and the office is a small hike but no where near the mile my silly husband thinks it is. It takes about six minutes for me to walk it at my slow pace.

@Threads I have not heard a word from the hospital regarding the injection and my hip some days is constant ache. I see the OS on Monday and he will definetly hear my complaints. I cannot for the life of me understand the hold up. Very frustrating. I wish I could explain the overlays it is a very unique way of designing lace patterns. Thank you for the link to the thread that was very interesting. I have looked at both looms and decided on the Ashford for several reasons, two people had the looms at the workshop and I was able to get a feel for it, the biggest thing for me was the weight, as I will only go with the 8 harness as the weight is 23 lbs and it folds, and is only 3 lbs heavier than my Leclerc Voyager, which I can manage. I normally take my baby wolf 8 harness with me but I no longer can handle that. I bought the voyager second hand, and my first table loom, I have used it about 4 times now and realize that if I want to take workshops it will need to do more than the voyager. And my last reason for chosing the Ashford is that the Louet Jane which sounds so much nicer weighs almost 30 lbs and is a lot more pricey. I need to be able to manage it myself.

I have already sold my voyager, they cannot have it until I weave off the huck and I sold my Majacraft spinning wheel. So now I can purchase the loom. People around here have mostly Schacht and Louet wheels. Ashford Joys and Lendrums. The looms are baby wolfs and harrisville looms, table looms are the Ashford and the Leclerc.
I am having separation anxiety over the Majacraft wheel, she served me well and I loved that wheel. But she is making a new spinner happy and she has a good new home. I know I could have sold it for more money than what I asked for but she has a lot of wear. She has to be close to twenty years old. I will miss her, but my lady bug is much lighter and I also have my louet s75 which is a great wheel.

Enjoy the grandkids, I would have not gone on the bridge with any kind of knees:heehee:
 
Another good therapy session today. I can't believe all the things they are having me do that the last therapist never did. I can tell the difference in how the strength in my legs is coming back. I then met a friend and we walked and had lunch. My therapist wants me to walk every day. So I have outings planned everyday this week. I am hoping this will help. They extended my therapy one extra day. I need to find a gym to join so that I can exercise or go to our local park and walk. Probably will try the park first since it is free and save the gym for winter. I am seeing progress and that makes me happy.
 
Great report after your therapy session. I'm soooo glad to hear you are doing better and seem happier. The weather must be improving because you don't seem to have cabin fever anymore.

I'm glad you had a chance to try the Ashford, so you know what you're buying, that's important! I've always liked the handle on the Jane and the way it folds up. I've woven on one and found the shed wonderful and it easy to weave on. If I were to get another table loom, that's what I'd get, but that's not going to happen in this life!

I sold my Lendrum wheel with all the trimmings and then regretted it. I don't know why really, because I still have my Louet S90 and an Ashford Joy, and I don't use them enough!

The grandkids have worn me out, but in a happy way. We've been tourists in our own city and had fun doing it. I've walked miles but still managed to fit in my two pool sessions so far this week. They head home tomorrow.
 
Woke today exhausted, thought maybe I was doing too much this week. Felt better before my friend came over to pick me up we went to a yarn shop and out to lunch. Got in a little walk, and didn't feel too bad.

The numbness on the left side of the knee is quite a large area, it feels really weird when I walk. It took almost a year before the numbness went away with the right knee. It is such a strange sensation, but glad the stiffness is going away.
 
Glad to hear that your knee was feeling better - I hope it has stayed that way!

The odd thing with being so busy and doing so much walking is that my knees and muscles were stronger. I found myself going upstairs without holding on! However, a couple of days of rest have returned things to their old normal except that my back has been really sore.

Life is returning to it's quiet normal. The grandchildren went home on Thursday and I was exhausted! Returned the house to "normal", whatever that is and spent a bit of time at the loom. Thst warp clings to itself, so winding the whole 7 yds. on was making me crazier than I already am! I got it finished this evening - the threading should take far less time because it's still under control. I want to do a sample or two to check the sett and the colours as they work together. As you know, Foxfibre changes colour when washed in hot water or boiled, so I want to see how the colours "play" together before starting an actual scarf.

Yesterday we went to Fibres West out in the valley to see Jane and drool over fibre of all kinds. I did pick up some silk to dye as well as some of the beautiful colours of silk that Jane has in her own JST range. I also picked up some Zepher Wool Silk. I don't usually "collect" yarn unless I have a project ready for it but ..........

Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
 
I wish I could say my knee felt good, I have had several days of pain and the backside of my knee swelled so much last night that I could hardly bend it. Spent the day icing and elevating.

However I did have a fun week, the weather was perfect and I was able to go to two yarn shops and out to lunch with friends. Had a meeting on Saturday and rested most of the day on Sunday. I have therapy tomorrow and OS appointment. We will have a lot to talk about. I want to know what has happened about me getting the injection in my hip. I can hardly sit for very long without the hip hurting and my exercises are hard to do, yet I have been doing them. Plus, I am frustrated with this knee.

@Threads I can't wait to get to my looms this week, I need to weave off the huck lace. Plus I am itching to get at my dobby loom, it has ten yards on there and I better get weaving. Good luck with your warp.
 
Sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortable weekend. It's a very good thing that you are seeing your OS tomorrow. You've got to get to the bottom of what's going on!!! Also, I can't believe you are still waiting for the shot for your hip! Please report in after you have seen him and let us know what he thinks is going on and why you haven't had the shot yet! You need to get to the point where you are a happy weaver.

My loom is almost threaded. My back wasn't happy sitting threading this loom - threading the David is so much easier. I'm tempted to put a warp on the David but I know which loom I would go to, so I'd best concentrate on the Woolhouse.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
 
Well, they xrayed my knee and all looks good. They said i am just healing, and I need to give it more time. (I figured that) They were happy with my range of motion and extension and have said I no longer need to go to formal therapy. I have an appointment on the 28th of March for the injection in my hip. Hopefully this will hold me over for a few more months before I need surgery.

The pain today was pretty intense, and the OS prescribed a topical cream that is supposed to help with the pain. I am willing to give anything a try.
 
Sorry to hear about your pain today! On the flip side - you now know there is nothing wrong with your knee, it's just decided to be the difficult one. It seems we all have one that behaves better than the other, with me it's my left knee too. I hope the topical cream helps.

Finally, you have a date for your shot! Hopefully the time will go quickly and you'll get some relief. I don't see how having a bad hip can help your knee get better, it seems to me that you're probably favouring your hip and your knee isn't getting a chance to heal. Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be a better day and you can get your lace samples done.
 
I picked up the topical cream from the pharmacy yesterday and used it last night, actually made it through an entire night without pain. My last therapy session was today and they were so nice to me. I really think my knee has progressed a lot since I have been going there. It has been a much slower process than the last time, but I do see improvement. I was having pain and decided to try the cream again. I will see if it does any good.

Off to have lunch with my sister. Hopefully able to get a walk in today also.
 
I have been using the topical cream now for a few days, I am not so certain it is working. I am experiencing a lot of stiffness, swelling and pain. I have been elevating and icing a lot. I am feeling very frustrated. I had a hard time walking today, I am getting a bit depressed over this knee. Next week Sunday it will be three months and I really feel like I should be getting better. I am waiting to hear what time I am supposed to get the injection for my hip. I am hoping that makes a difference in how my knee feels.

@Threads I finally corrected all my threading errors and have been able to start weaving the towels. Just finished one this evening, really like how they are turning out. I hope to get two more from this warp. How is your project coming along. I have been trying to knit boot toppers for one of my nieces, it is not going very well. I have ripped it out twice now, seems I don't know how to count.
 
@fiberlady. Hello nosing in threads... Prayers for you.



SonnysGal
PKR Dec 1 2014
TKRev MAR 2 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fiberlady - I'm sorry you are still having problems with your knee. I hope you get that shot for your hip soon. Having your hip acting up can't help but make things worse for your knee.

I've almost finished my sample and then I'll be able to see whether the sett I'm using is going to work. I'm really rusty! I hadn't put a warp on since last summer. I thought I was already to weave, I'd tied the warp on and was ready to go. Then after a day, I looked at the loom and duh!!! I hadn't put the reed in and dented it. Luckily that didn't take long. What a dimwit I am :loll:

Hope tomorrow is a better day.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom