THR Finally On The Recovery Side

Wow, I’m so very happy for you, Mersada. I can’t believe the time has come for your return to work soon. It has been a long road and I certainly understood your anxiety having experienced it myself. That’s what I love about BoneSmart, the camaraderie of going through the process with other members in real time and receiving advice, ideas, comfort and support from those who’ve already recovered.

You’ve done well and now it’s time to begin enjoying life again without the pain. You have some great plans in the works and just think how much stronger you’ll be feeling by then. I’m excited for you! I certainly hope this isn’t goodbye once your return to work. I’m sure many have appreciated your encouraging words and we’ll always welcome updates on your continuing progress.

I hope it’s not too hot in NYC. It’s been awful here. Have a wonderful weekend!
@Mersada
 
Hi @Layla ,
I can't believe I return to work in two weeks, too. I'm still not at 100% but I'm hoping I get a little stronger each day. Thank you for all your wisdom and support through my journey, I appreciate you so much.

I'm definitely going to pop in and out of the forum, I have come to enjoy reading the different experiences.

Tomorrow is PT day.

Hope your having a peaceful Sunday.
 
Aww, you’re welcome, Mersada. You’re very kind. It’s been a my pleasure supporting you. I’m thankful you found the forum, I know what a blessing it can be when you’re contemplating and planning everything surrounding THR surgery.

It‘s so wonderful to be on the other side of it. I know you understand. I’m happy to hear this isn’t goodbye and I’ll still be able to follow your story while you continue healing. I’m sure you’ll feel stronger and steadier with each passing month and it sounds like work may not be as much of a challenge as mastering the trek there with the stairs. I have every confidence you’ll figure it out and hopefully it feels easier from week to week. Also, don’t forget to bring ice to work in case you need it while sitting at your desk. Hopefully there is a community freezer, or you can have a small cooler desk side to keep it frozen. Between that and some frequent stretching and short walks, I’m sure you’ll do fine. You may find once you get home, you don’t want to do much else but rest, which is okay.

I hope your PT session goes well today and will look forward to our exchanges on the forum.
Happy Monday! :)
 
Two months to date. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a good week so far, Mersada....enjoy the rest of it! :SUNsmile:
@Mersada
 
Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary!.:yahoo:
 
Thank you @Layla and @Elf1 ....time flies. I go back to work next Monday. We are still doing remote work one week and one week in office. My return will be my remote week, so that's easy enough.

My hip is feeling stronger each day. My neighbor was complimenting me on my walking today. She said I was walking so much better than she had used to seeing me. I am working on not walking with a limp.

My PT put me on the bike today. And she added an ankle weight for some of my exercises. It felt good not like I was overdoing. I came home and iced right away just to be sure. Next PT session is Wed.

I ordered a compact stationary bike for home to start building some strength and lose some weight. I gained about ten or 15 pounds during this recovery. I need to lose about 50 to be slim again--its been many years of being over weight. And I'm over it. I'm already trying intermittent fasting....hope the stationary bike helps as well.

Losing the weight will help me walk better as well. Being post menopausal doesn't help...but I have to try. Now that I had this surgery walking will become easier eventually as well....so hope I can shed this weight. I have booked a New Years cruise...that will be my goal to get to...thin by 2022!
 
:hi:@Mersada
Really good to read your update and see how well you are doing:happydance:
Getting healthier was a big deal for me too after hip replacement and though I didn't go Keto, I realized that I was definitely a carb junkie and cut out high carb snacks and replaced them with more fresh fruits and veggies.
Do keep the slow and steady approach as it is still early days.
Cruising toward a cruise:yes!:
 
@Mojo333 , Keto is deffinitely hard...but, I'm going to try to get close to that. I am ordering prepared fresh dishes from cookunity, they have keto options. It a tad on the expensive side...but, I hate to cook, this is more convenient and the calories/carbs are broken down for you so, you can keep tabs on what your eating. Will see how this works along with the intermittant fasting and some movement finally. I realize it's still early for too much exercise, but I'm going to ease myself into it. I think 50 lbs by New Years is doable if I focus. that's about 8 pounds a month. If my body works with me, I can accomplish it...I hope.:praying:
 
What a great update, Mersada. You’re doing so well and I’ll bet it was a confidence booster to hear from someone familiar with you how much better you’re walking. Recovery can be slow, but thankfully you we’re able to get the time off work allowing your body the rest it needed after a major surgery. It’s also good your first week back to work is remote, making it easier. I think you’re wise in icing preventatively after PT. I know you read here enough that if it hurts, or causes pain later, don’t do it.

Ugh, weight, yes it can be a slog after menopause. A deteriorating hip and early recovery can keep us inactive and allow the number on the scale to rise. That along with the dreadful Covid 19 (lbs) people joke about, but were a reality for many. I’m sure with the thought of an upcoming cruise and the time between now and then, you’ll be able to drop some weight and be on your way to a happier, healthier, thinner you!
I’m rooting for you all the way. :yes!:
@Mersada
 
As always, thank you so much @Layla ,
Yes, my neighbor definitely gave me a boost in the confidence, I can't really tell when or if I am limping much. I rely on PT to let me know. She too.said I have improved a lot. Its great to hear because I limped for so long, I don't even know for sure what it is not to. I just try to stay balanced.

As for covid 19 (lb) lol. My covid was my bones on bone hip, this has been keeping me from doing much for a few years. Hopefully, that changes.

I have booked painting with a twist for Friday with a freind . Its where they direct you in how to paint a canvas and sip wine (don't really drink wine but I may have one just to celebrate all that I have been through these past couple of.years and months.). Hope to start living now. Its been a long time waiting to get to this point. :yay:
 
@Mersada Good luck with the weight loss. I started keto/low carb/intermittent fasting in May 2018. I lost 35 pounds and have kept it off for the most part, although I have gained a few pounds in the last few months as I recovered from my staph infection. I lost so much weight when I was in the hospital that the doctor wanted me to increase my carbs a little to gain some weight back. I started eating toast and cereal for breakfast every day And I was doing a lot of snacking on low carb things, but it was a lot more than I normally eat. I did that for a few months. Unfortunately, I gained the weight back plus 5 pounds! I am now back on low carb with intermittent fasting to get back to my goal weight. It shouldn’t take too long. I love eating low carb and I love how I feel when I’m fasting, but I do miss my toast. LOL
 
Hi @Dmcfad2 , thanks for sharing your experience with weight loss success. I hope that starts happening with me....I would like to get down to 130-135 for my height 5'5 that would be ideal. I know its going to be a bit hard, not so much the fasting, but limiting the carbs I find hard. Well, we shall see how it goes. Lighter weight is better for the hip, as well so hope it happens.
 
135 lbs at 52 yrs of age does not look the same as 135 lbs at 22 yrs of age. You may be pleasantly surprised and happy with the way you look, sooner than you think. And the great thing is you’ll feel good the whole way down, the opposite of how you feel while putting on the lbs. You’re right about taking pressure off of joints though for sure.

You may be too young to know who the actress Catherine Deneuve is, but she once famously declared that after a certain age, you have to make a choice between your—ahem—derrière and your visage. Basically, the “theory” assumes the tighter and firmer the former gets, the saggier and sadder the latter.
Gee, it’s fun being a woman, isn’t it?!! :heehee: You know a guy losing weight is never going to consider any of that, lol.
 
So happy to see you're making progress in your recovery and making plans to live your life to its fullest, happiest and healthiest!.
 
I found just being able to move pain free again after my knee and hip recovered helped me considerably to lose weight. I just plain move more every day as well as walking again. My pup (he’ll always be a pup) really appreciates that! :dogwalk:Add some smarter eating and I’ve lost about 40 lbs. in the last year.
 
I started back at work today but this was my work from home week so it wasn't too bad. I forgot my password to the program we use so I hardly did any work. IT department never got back to me to rectify the situation. Sitting for the day was a bit hard. There were periods were I would feel a sharp pain so I'd get up and do some stretch exercises. I made it through the day. Oh and I iced at lunch time.

I had PT after work, they put me on the bike for ten minutes , they put that vibration machine on my incision, a few exercises and she massaged my incision and I was sent home. I am icing now since I had a bit of a hectic day.

Still not feeling I can do extended walks yet, hip is still stiff and the leg feels slightly longer. Hope both improve.

I have a cleaning lady coming to clean tomorrow. She comes once a month for a thorough cleaning I can't do right now.

Hopefully the IT department calls me tomorrow I don't like being on th clock and not getting any work done.
 
I can imagine that sitting for long periods of time is not helpful. I used to have my monitor on a standing desk. I’m nervous about standing up tomorrow.
Hope your hip starts to loosen up

Still not feeling I can do extended walks yet, hip is still stiff and the leg feels slightly longer. Hope both improve.
 
I’m sorry your first day back involved some kinks. Hopefully you get all resolved with work today so you at least feel you accomplished something while on the clock.

Thankfully you were able to get some stretching and icing in. This week will give you an idea of what being in the office may feel like physically. You also need to consider the energy it will take getting to your desk from home. I know you mentioned stairs and a short walk. Fortunately you were able to recover at home for a decent amount of time, but you did have the non weight bearing for six weeks which kind of held you back. I hope your supervisor and work colleagues are supportive and allow you breaks to walk and stretch as needed initially. As you’re learning, it does get a little easier week by week. I also hope you can bring Ice to store and use if necessary.

I’ll be rooting for you. You may even hear me cheering from a few states
west of you, lol. :wink: I hope today is a good one!
@Mersada
 
Thank you @Layla , I am currently at work with no computer access. IT still hasn't gotten back to me. It is a bit boring but as long as I'm on the clock. I have been stretching and iced at lunch hour.

I am meeting up with some co-workers to visit another co-worker for a belated birthday. Its nice to be able to go out again although 90 degree weather I can do without.

Hopefully they help me reset my password tomorrow. I feel guilty being on the clock without doing anything.

Again, thanks for your well wishes...you have been awesome along this ride.
 
Sorry you're still having computer issues, can be so frustrating. Hope the IT folks get back with you tomorrow so you can knock out some work.

Sounds like you're gearing up for a nice visit with co-workers. A little but of social time does us all good, enjoy!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom