THR Finally life on the road to be mine<

Well said! And I agree, prolonged pain does stress the body and get etched in the face.
I'm happy you're pain free. It is great feeling.
I wish you a wonderful evening and week to come!
@Bull76!
 
:yahoo:Glad to hear good news!
Life without that horrid hip pain is truly sweet.
Have a great week @Bull76! :SUNsmile:
 
So seem to have a slight spanner in the works. When I'm in the car for an hour, my hip swells up and takes a few days to go down. Was out for dinner with her good self and got very stiff in my hip, also it was uncomfortable and irriation at the base of the incision. This is all new. The car thing I gave 3 weeks between both trips, but previous trip to same destination (parents) no issue. I really want this to be nothing but I know it is something. Made a call to surgeons office. Joint nurse said she hadn't heard of this before, but would discuss with the surgeon. Still out doing my walks and doing exercises. I initially had the hip replaced because I Couldn't sit down for any duration. This all feels the same, but can't be.
 
:wave:@Bull76!
I don't know why or why now honestly.
Is it a small car or is your leg put in an awkward position for a long period?
Be interested to see what OS had to say.
If you'd like, we can tag Josephine in the interim.
Sorry this has come up on you.
:console2:
 
It's not a small car, just strange why now. I'll have to wait until the end of the week, surgeon will be back then. So not sure what they will do if anything.
 
Let's tag @Josephine and see if she has any thoughts on this.
I know I could barely sit in the car longer than 30-40 mins for the first couple months.
I was super wiggly jiggly and wanted out. I began using an ice pack on my incision while driving which either worked, or was just a placebo effect. You might want to try that, for the swelling part at least.

Let's see what Jo says, she's the expert, not me.
@Bull76!
 
Morning all,
All going well. Officially went back to work, even though I was working remotely after week 4. The scar is impeding some movement, went to a very good Physio. She done her tests to see what muscles were weak. Ended up putting kinesio tape on my scar. It helped. I told her if I grab around the scar it helps, so by taping it, keeps it under pressure. Getting in my daily walks, exercise. Range of motion slowly coming back, breaking the 90 degrees daily.
No pain and I look younger so I'm told. Don't have the same stress on my face as the pain was causing me. So all is extremely well.

lol, my wife told me I look taller... as did most others. Guess I was hunched over more than I thought.

So seem to have a slight spanner in the works. When I'm in the car for an hour, my hip swells up and takes a few days to go down. Was out for dinner with her good self and got very stiff in my hip, also it was uncomfortable and irriation at the base of the incision. This is all new. The car thing I gave 3 weeks between both trips, but previous trip to same destination (parents) no issue. I really want this to be nothing but I know it is something. Made a call to surgeons office. Joint nurse said she hadn't heard of this before, but would discuss with the surgeon. Still out doing my walks and doing exercises. I initially had the hip replaced because I Couldn't sit down for any duration. This all feels the same, but can't be.

Why can't it... just a different cause. Instead of pain and swelling from OA inflammation, it is pain an swelling from the hip replacement. They only removed the arthritic bone... left all those swollen muscles :-)
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
2. 1, no pain, stiffness from time to time.

3. Don't take pain Med's as not in pain.

4. No icing, only when hip swells.

5. Elevate my legs when resting, usually sit on a chaise longue.

6. daily walks of 8km, but alternate cycling of 14km, doing normal household duties, Cooking, shopping, cleaning.

hamstring stretch, hold for 10 to 15 secs.
clam exercise, 10 to 12 reps 3 sets
lying side raise, 10 to 12 reps, 3 sets
Crab walk, left and then right 4 times, step out 6 times each way.
single leg standing, duration 30 secs
squats, 10 to 12 reps, 3 sets.
Lying single leg raise, 10 to 12 reps, 3 sets.
Usually do these every other day, not on a daily pattern.

All answered for review.
 
2. 1, no pain, stiffness from time to time.
So what about this? It was what prompted me to do this and you haven't even mentioned it!
When I'm in the car for an hour, my hip swells up and takes a few days to go down. Was out for dinner with her good self and got very stiff in my hip, also it was uncomfortable and irritation at the base of the incision. This is all new.

hamstring stretch, hold for 10 to 15 secs.
clam exercise, 10 to 12 reps 3 sets
lying side raise, 10 to 12 reps, 3 sets
Crab walk, left and then right 4 times, step out 6 times each way.
single leg standing, duration 30 secs
squats, 10 to 12 reps, 3 sets.
Lying single leg raise, 10 to 12 reps, 3 sets.
Usually do these every other day, not on a daily pattern.
I've crossed these out because we recommend this: (please note that to me, exercise and PT are the same thing!)
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Not sure what you want me to say. The quote is what happens or has happened to me after a journey of over an hour in my car. My hip swells up towards the end of the day, takes a few days to come back to normal. So sitting for long periods cause discomfort and iritation to my hip, like in the restaurant when we went for dinner
 
Gf says I don't have that look of pain on my face anymore, considering the last 2 yrs of having it.
Ha! That’s exactly what my husband said to me! It’s funny...I didn’t think people could tell I was in pain. Now any pain I’m feeling is different, and it shows! Soon to be gone for good! Yay! :loveshwr:
 
I got an extra cushion for my car seat. It gives more support and I’m able to keep my hip from dropping down deep in the seat. It’s softer and keeps my hip from banging the seat with the bumps. I think it’s helped me be able to drive a lot longer than I would without it. I too drive to visit my parents, and they are 45 minutes away.
 
I hope it eases for you soon @Bull76!
Let us know what you're surgeon has to say once you make contact.
I hope you have a nice weekend! :)
 
So been in contact with the Joint Nurse and the Surgeon, Surgeon doesn't think it is my hip. But I'm going to see him next week and have an x-ray of my hip. He'd like to see my hip swollen at the visit. So no promises and see how it goes.
 
Hello :wave:
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
Let us know how your appt with the OS goes next week.
Take care until then.
@Bull76!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom