Guest viewing is limited

THR Finally life on the road to be mine<

Hey @Bull76! So glad all is going ok. I see my OS next week so one week behind you although same THR date. I am off the sticks and walking fine without a limp. My only downside is stiffness and some pain in the opposite hip. I changed my meds but things have been ok. I do ice lots and rest also. I walk enough in the house and garden so have not been too regimented with walks and distances. Those energy drain episodes have been easing up for me also. I'm treating myself to a walk up and down the pool today. Hang in there and keep up the good work G
 
Hi everyone,
Strength is still improving in my hip. Muscles are strong. I've be told I'll have crutches for 10 weeks, reduced after week 6 to 1 crutch. I went back to working remotely last week. So that helped with the boredom. Doing my walks and exercises. It's just a matter of time and I'll be back to normal, life all mine.
 
Great update...
Onward and upward:egypdance:
 
Nothing new to report, been doing a static hold out to the side, front and behind. Muscle is getting stronger can feel an improvement each day. Doing one legged calf raises on and off too. Haven't done any bridge exercises, any one doing them after 6 weeks?
 
:wave:Not me!
Probably the worst for new hips as per Nurse Josephine.
I've noticed with my time on the forum its the one that is mentioned most often as a PT faux pas:shrug:
Your patience muscle is also being tested...you really are ready to do something else aren't you?:bored:

Hope today is a good day..:SUNsmile:
 
No bridges necessary.
Bridges are a core stability exercise that people with spine issues use. They put a great amount of pressure on the hip joint. The exact area that has just sustained trauma to the soft tissue and muscle.
Please consider avoiding them. I'd hate to see you injure yourself.

Please read the BIG TIP -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Your choice, just want you to make an informed decision.
Hope your week is great!
@Bull76!
 
Thanks Layla & Mojo333, was just putting it out there. I've read the no exercise needed. But why do PT's regularly have you do bridge exercises. I know they look at it as a core, glute strengthen exercise. I haven't been doing them and won't until I'm well advanced in my recovery.
 
To a carpenter, everything looks like a nail, I guess.
I am sure it is a core strength that are trying to achieve but as well meaning as my PT was, she hadn't had hip surgery and some of the exercises she had me attempting..including bridges and tension band exercises were beginning to cause me tendinitis issues...which can take an even LONGER time to overcome.
But the upside for them, I suppose, is that would be treated most likely with PT.:heehee:
 
All good here. Been doing about a 4km walk twice a day. Feeling good. Strength is improving each day. Was thinking of walking to see my mother but it's just a little to far at the moment. Kinda hilly all the way there. She passed away in May and the cemetery is just outside of what I can do, there and back. Off to see the surgeon next week. So should be able to drop a crutch. Have been walking with 1 for certain durations and then back to 2. Let's see what the next few days bring.
 
Hi Bull76 I just read your full thread as I am having bilateral THR on Sept 14, and trying to learn as much as possible about recovery and rehab. Thank you for providing such great info
I really like the slow and gradual approach you have been taking, and it seems that it has worked well for you.....and a great example for me!! When I start to feel more comfortable I know I’m going to have to be careful not do over do it!!
Wishing you continued positive healing and strength as you proceed through your rehab
 
Hello all,
Progress is doing well, down to 1 crutch this week. 2 walks a day, morning and evening, doing around 4km each one. Been doing a little on my balance which is helping build stability in my hip muscles. Still my gait is off but it's improving with each day. Have my follow up OS appointment on Thursday.
 
Hi there,
So very sorry to hear about the recent loss of your mom.
Hugs to you :console2: I hope you'll soon be able to make that walk to the cemetery.

It's nice to hear you're feeling good and gaining strength.
Best of luck at your appt with the surgeon. Please let us know how it goes.
A great week to you!
@Bull76!
 
Right folks, a question which I'm not sure has been asked, but when were you able to have sex again? And what position if any was recommended? I had a posterior procedure if that helps with answers.

I'll ask the surgeon but wanted input from those who are or were in the same position as I.
 
Quick update.
Made it to the cemetery yesterday, wasn't to bad of a walk. My goal was to visit mam, as I was 7 weeks home and hadn't been to visit. But I got there. Had my follow up appointment with the OS and he was happy with my progress. Seen my prosthesis via my x-ray and all looked good. Got told to go to one crutch for 3 weeks and then none. Just carry on with the walking and get my hip, quad muscles built back up. Said I was doing 4 to 5km walks as my better half was afraid I Was doing to much, he said others at this stage were doing less. I feel good and don't think it is a bad thing. If I was tired then I'd reduce the distance. Doing the exercises and he gave me one additional one to do. So I moved back to my house with my partner today too.
 
:happydance:Great update and I know your mom will be smiling from above and happy you are getting your life back.
If you start feeling some real discomfort, try every other day or a few shorter walks.
So glad all is going well!:SUNsmile:
 
Well folks, nothing new or exciting to report. Doing 6.5km walk in the morning and doing my exercises. Hip muscles are getting stronger each day, but it's a slow process. Went for my first drive today, good to get behind the wheel, even if it was just a short drive.
Still a slight bruise on my shin muscle and pressure around my knee when I kneel. Other than that all is the same. Hope everyone else is progressing nicely with no hiccups.
 
Hi Bull. Good to hear from you!
This is the slow and steady part:bored:
Hope all continues to get better and better!
Have a good weekend:SUNsmile:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope all is going well. Please leave an update next time you stop by.
We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Wishing you all things good moving forward :)
@Bull76!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
Back
Top Bottom