THR Finally life on the road to be mine<

Bull76!

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi folks,

Just had my right hip replaced yesterday. Today was fun, due to my height the Physio said it was going to be awkward and he was right. 4 attempts to stand up resulted in me getting lightheaded and the blood running from my head. Nearly fainted and the nurse said if I went there was nothing she could do other than let me. She is a good nurse and we had some humor in between it all. Eventually around 5pm I could get around and wasn't light headed.
Hip feels weird, like it is spring loaded and pops. No pain from movement but my gluteus and thigh muscles are sore.

Let's see what tomorrow brings for me. Just happy it has started.

Sounds like you're well on your way despite the hiccups to start! The new hip definitely feels weird at first, but it will subside in the upcoming weeks. I'm 3 weeks post op and completely forget about it while seated, although my muscles remind me when I try to walk. Lol.

I think best thing about muscle pain is knowing that's treatable, expected, and will heal with time. Be patient with yourself through the healing process, your body needs the rest!

Congrats.
The first few days are the worst.
After that you can get by the odd moments due to all of the good things you start to experience.

Welcome to the club!

Hi! :welome: Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery!
Hope you're resting comfortably and your pain is well managed. Below you'll find some reading material.
Please pay special attention to THE BIG TIP toward the bottom of the article.
Stop by often and update. We'd love to follow your journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Bull76!

I'm so happy to hear you're up and around Hopefully, standing up will be less the production. Keep posting. Looking to hear how you progress.

Well last night went okay, was able to get up and use the bath room unaided. Sitting up in a chair for breakfast and probably get a shower to feel normal later on. Physio should be around shortly so that will help too. Go to crutches instead of the Zimmer frame. But what's the rush. I can sit down and not have the pain I was in before, that in itself makes this all worthwhile.

Thanks for the comments, good to be able to talk to people in the same position.

:welome: and glad to hear you are managing .
These first days are rough, but you sound positive and when I too realize that my original pain was gone, and the rest was all surgery recovery...I was able to stay excited that one day I would be just great. Now, I am!
To sit, to sleep - without that horrid pain, is truly amazing.
Of course the sleep part took time...but I am so happy that I got this done and got my life back.
Take it slow, and heal properly, and before you know it, you will be golden!:yes:

Today went well. Physio had me out on crutches, up stairs and down. A little bit every few hrs but not much. Used an ice pack, think that's the way forward for the swelling. Had a shower and felt normal. Should be discharged tomorrow. Just look after myself and don't over do anything.

Hi @Bull76!
Navigating the stairs isn't too bad. I recall dreading it, but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was afterward.
You got it....ice is the way. Ice, ice, ice :ice: Great for swelling and pain.
Hopefully you're discharged Thursday as planned.
Let us know how you're doing when you're settled in at home.
Enjoy your evening and safe travels home tomorrow.

Welcome and Congratulations @Bull76! Sounds like your first couple of days have been pretty ok. Keep up the good work. Looks like you've got things covered, knowing not to overdo anything, icing, icing, icing, and stay on schedule with the pain meds you were given even if you think you don't need them. Wishing you the best!

All going to plan will be discharged at noon. Last night was awkward, woke with pain but was given pain Med's. Can feel and see a big difference in my leg muscles in just 24hrs. Not planning on doing anything other than icing my leg and getting home.

Welcome to the other side @Bull76! Easy does it now. Limit your activities to rest, ice, elevation and taking your medication as prescribed, around the clock. You are on your way!

Well folks, just a quick update. Been home, nice to be home. Swelling has been a little up and down but icing has helped a lot. Nice bruising coming up but this is the road to been better. Doing little exercise and notice the hip and muscles are getting stronger. Not over doing anything and that's the way it will stay. Rest and ice for the swelling. A little bored at times but I'll get over that.

:wave:
Glad you are home and in full recovery mode!
Boring is....boring ...but somewhat mandatory.
Good to give your body lots of time to bounce back after all that trauma.
Hope all continues to go well.
Have a Peaceful Sunday:SUNsmile:

Well folks, just a quick update. Been home, nice to be home. Swelling has been a little up and down but icing has helped a lot. Nice bruising coming up but this is the road to been better. Doing little exercise and notice the hip and muscles are getting stronger. Not over doing anything and that's the way it will stay. Rest and ice for the swelling. A little bored at times but I'll get over that.
Sounds like you are doing great at home. I found it kind of fascinating how my leg would go from being "skinny" to looking like a chubby baby's leg and then back to being skinny. It was kind of funny. Never knew what I was going to get everytime I looked down at the leg.

Welcome home and sounds like you are doing great. Your body will tell you what it needs and rest is crucial for healing. I got bored too, which led to a little bit of the blues. Now I know I need to fill some of those pockets of time with coffee with a friend or a phone call just to catch up. Happy recovery!

Folks,

A daft question on Shingles? My partner thinks she may have it due to a rash and multiple spots coming out on her skin over the last 30mins. Some of her colleagues had it. I'm 1 week post surgery and having my dressing changed/inspected Wednesday. Should I be concerned in any way? I'm not due to see her until Friday. .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member