TKR Finally found a new surgeon

what does ADL stand for?
Sorry Mr Gary. It stands or the Activities of Daily Living. It stands for the things you normally do day to day, no extra exercises or pt. That's all I've done after all my knee surgeries.
 
@sistersinhim
With no extra PT or exercise, how long did it take you to get your ROM back?
I’m almost at 6 months ( Feb9th) and I can bend my knee a little bit more than 90 degrees.
I still have Zingers and some swelling and some pain. I have some family and friends tell me,” oh you better start force and bend your knee more or it will be stiff forever”, I tell them “I’m not doing it” I’m not going to inflict pain on myself anymore, I was in enough PAIN in the beginning of my Journey.
What is your view ?
As always, thank you for your help and encouragement.
 
Remember that although I did no formal PT or exercises, I did use my knee daily doing my chores. I seldom measured. I didn't worry about it. I knew it would come and as long as I was able to do what I needed to do, I was happy. I think harpy on numbers is a negative thing. Function is what counts!
 
You might be more than 90, even though you think you’re not. You seem to be able to function well enough in the things you do.

When I was 4 months post op I hurt my operated knee and leg and I could hardly bend it. It took 2 months before I felt like the bend was starting to get better. It still wasn’t great at my 7 month check up, but sitting in a chair and bending the knee myself, it was 114. I was so surprised and happy! I was able to lean a little more into it and my surgeon called it 120. Not sure I agree with him, but whatever. It’s probably what he put in my chart.

I can bend much better sitting with in a chair than I can laying down and bending as in a heel slide. I don’t understand that, but I’ve read others say the same thing.

My sister said something about my knee freezing, too. Even after all I’d read on Bonesmart that that would not happen, it still scared me. It’s so annoying the things people say to us in all their misconceptions.

At 10 months I still have a lot of limitations.
 
@sistersinhim
@Jockette
Thank you so much, I’m just going to keep doing my “ADL”
And like you say I’m happy being able to anything I want to do, and I’m not going to worry about ROM.
and as long as I’m not in bad pain, I’m not force bending anything.
I love y’all, thanks again for your support.:loveshwr::happydance::flwrysmile:
 
It just shocks me that with a knee replacement anybody and everybody tells us where they think we should be recovery-wise. From people who have never had one as well as people who have, and also strangers, not just friends and family. It boggles my mind.
 
Good point Jockette - it is mind boggling!!! everyone knows everything and are prepared to give advice. Bad advice and shrugs at times. My elder daughter a nurse told me I was on a 'lot' on pain relief. What do people know about how I feel pain. I am going to print out a photo of 'mid-knee replacement surgery' to show people what my knee went through. And if they don't faint then maybe they will be more compassionate.

Listening to my 'baby knee' is self compassion - I am kind to me too.
Best wishes,
Kathryn
 
@Mr Gary , you asked for our views - and my view is you need to do what feels right for you. I chose a slightly different path than you, doing more exercise, but that doesn't mean either of us is wrong. Each individual comes to his or her knee replacement with different goals, different needs and different health issues. You're able to do what you want to do. You don't seem limited by your 90 degree plus ROM, so hooray! You did it your way!
 
:hi: did you ever get out on your bike? it took me 7 months and 1 week to finally do a full rotation on my city bike (indoors on trainers) and i'm pretty sure i could ride it outside if not for the snow. i don't know what my flexion is but it's not as much as my non-operated knee; however, i'm happy that i can do so much now without pain. i shovelled the snow off our driveway and sidewalk today, no problem and walked dog on icy sidewalks.

i agree with you, no need to force your knee to bend more; it will without force, once the swelling subsides. i was stuck at 90 degrees flexion for a long time and no amount of p.t. or gentle bending improved the bend, until the swelling went down, and it seemed all of a sudden, one day i could ride my bike and the stairs were easier. it took 7 months for me and i hope my flexion improves to what the other knee is. do what you enjoy without hurting yourself.:SUNsmile:
 
@liam2015
Thank you very much for the encouragement,
I’m not able to ride my bike yet, but I’m doing just the things that I want to do without pain.
I am keeping very active and walking a lot.
 
Walking is really the best exercise you can do for your knee! Good job!
 
OK, someone please help me understand what is going on. I am 7 months post op, I have been doing great, however for the past two weeks I have been vigorously working in my back yard “ It was like a jungle” so I had to pull weeds, cut out a lot of limbs and brush, “looks great now”. My knee is so stiff and painful, is almost like it was at 3 months post op.:shrug::bawl:
Does this sound normal? “At 7 months!:sos:
 
Oh yes, it's normal. Your knee is only a little over 1/2 way through it's healing recovery. Doing that vigorous work has angered your knee. It's a new exercise and you didn't work up to it, you just jumped in with both knees! You know the guidelines. Go back to doing what we recommend, ice and elevate and some Tylenol and it should snap back in a few days.
 
@sistersinhim
Oh thank you for always being there when I need you. I will do exactly what you say and I will report back.:flwrysmile:
 
@Mr Gary Hello. I hopped on my bike for a couple minutes last weekend. Even though I was able to pedal/ride, I def need to get a fitting. I am going to wait until April to get it fitted since there is a charity ride I hope to do in May and maybe more swelling will be gone. If you don't get your bike professionally fitted, you may need to adjust the seat in order to ride it. Enjoy!:bicycle2:
 
@sistersinhim
I need your help. I don’t want to go back to the OP because he will want to put me in the hospital and manipulate my knee under Anastasia, and I really don’t want to do that.my next appointment with him is at my one year anniversary “August 9th. Like I told you the other day my knee is still very stiff and it is still swollen a little, but not as much pain as last week. I just feel that I am going backwards. Some of my friends tell me that my ROM, should be much better. I know what I have read from others here that the RAM will come in time.i also know that others say if I will just go about my daily activities “ which I definitely have been” that my ROM will come. I have tried to do what my OP told me to do. He told me “ I want you to force your knee and put pressure on it by pulling it as far as you can”. I have tried it and it is just not working, that causes me too much grief for days.
I have had a lot of confidence in what you tell me to do, so, please tell me what to do, I’m just not happy with my progress this far along. “7 months” today. :beg::bored:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom