Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

@KarriB But who's counting?:heehee: I hope you truly enjoy your retirement from a wonderful career teaching young children.
 
@newlybionic I only know this because from the first day of school my classroom procedure is to place a straw in a container for every day we're in school, then we bundle the tens, hundreds, so on as we move through the year to help kids understand place value. Wednesday was day 166 out of 180 days for kids.
 
Had my appointment today but not a big update. They are waiting on acceptance from Mayo. I guess they have had issues with TriWest (who is handling the VA community services) so the VA is working on an individual pay contract with them. My PA was joking that the OR there was not big enough for the 30 trays they will need for my surgery:) After that comment I asked him to actually explain this next surgery. So they will be replacing the knee parts, pulling my kneecap back down (it's about 3 inches up in the quad) to reattach the patellar tendon which they have to add a graft to (I don't know if the same surgeon does both parts). Then there is the plastic surgeon to do a muscle and skin flap. I will get another scar on the thigh were they get the skin..lucky I'm not too worried about scars these days:)..I can't forget that the ID will be involved too. It is starting to hit me with how extensive this is going to be. I think the recovery is going to be something else. The tendon (no movement) with the TKR (which should be moved). Total opposites. Oh well...it could be worse, it is getting fixed.
 
Gotta say, Peggy, you are handling this with a great attitude. Hope everything goes without a hitch once it gets rolling.
 
Thanks @KarriB. I hope so too because I think I'm starting to loose it. I had to go back to the clinic today to pick up a knee brace for the other knee (which has been killing me). This was the 3rd time I had tried to pick it up from the prosthetic department. My OS called Tuesday to confirm that they had it because they didn't last week when I went. I went to pick it up after he called and was told I had to come back between 8-9 am for a walk in appointment for them to fit it. When I showed up this morning I was told they didn't have it and will call when it comes in. I went back to ortho ( 2 doors away) to see what was going on with it. While telling the nurse what had happened the eyes welled up and the tears came. The doctors coming through from their surgical meeting stopped to find out what was going on. They reassured me --I was one of the topics at the meeting--that they were just waiting for a call from a particular doctor at Mayo. I was five minutes down the road on my way home and the prosthetic dept called to tell me they had made a mistake and if I came back they would have the brace ready to be fitted. I don't know who made the phone call from ortho but I appreciate it. June 9th I have an injection for the right knee scheduled. It is totally getting trashed from taking the load for so long. At least the brace is helping a little.
 
So glad they called you and treated your brace issue. I do hope it helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
At least you don't have go back today. It's over and done. I'm sure you were at the end if your rope yesterday, but today you're resting with the brace on. :)
 
What a hard day you had. No wonder you were tearful in the end! :console2:
I'm glad the prosthetics dept called you back - at least they were honest about having made a mistake.
 
Today has been a much better day:) It is the beginning of our family camp out for Memorial Day Weekend. We upgraded to a rented RV. We have always tents but that would not work for me at the moment. We got a 26 foot Freelander which I am really liking. I have been talking to my husband about getting a little Class C, this weekend may win him over to the idea. We are up near Williams AZ at Dogtown Lake, about an hour from the Grand Canyon. The only down side is I won't be able to go fishing but hanging around the camp site is not bad at all.
 
Have you any news yet about going to the Mayo clinic? I hope you can get an appointment there soon.
 
Frustration is really hitting me hard at the moment. After a week I was finally able to schedule an appointment with the OS at Mayo. The financials are straightened out. The soonest appointment this doctor has is Jun 30th. The sad part was everything was labeled URGENT. I have not seen any "urgency" to anything with scheduling this appointment. I thought that when things were marked STAT or URGENT you were seen withing a week. I am a little nervous because my last dose of antibiotics was May 30th. My ID didn't schedule me because I was supposed to have an ID DR at Mayo. I see the OS tomorrow for injections in my other knee. I think I'm going to have a serious talk with them. I am tired of waiting around.
 
Oh, I am so sorry, Peggy. You've been through so much and I know you just want it all behind you and to be on the road to recovery. My thoughts and prayers are surely with you tonight!
 
I'm very sorry that you still have to wait to see the OS. Hopefully you can talk to your other OS and get someone to prescribe more antibiotics for the interim.
 
Can your ID prescribe another dose of antibiotics? I'm anal about never missing a dose of doxycycline. How frustrating!
 
About doxycycline, could one be allergic when your forearms turn red and itch and the skin peals?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
I'm not sure, @old goat . I have a penicillin allergy that gives me the hives, but I'm ok with doxycycline.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom