Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all my Bonesmart family! Hoping all of you are seeing better days and are as thankful as I am that we live during a time where this miraculous surgery is available to us. :-)

I posted this on another members thread, but thought I'd share it here on my thread regarding PT. As most of you know Josephine is a firm believer that walking is the only "PT" necessary during recovery. She has seen many members end up with chronic pain from over zealous physical therapists. Since I've had such easy recoveries with both THR's, I thought I'd share my experience in hopes of helping those who are undecided whether or not to go to PT. Here ya go....

I've had no PT because I progressed nicely on my own by just walking (increasing gradually and resting every other day early on). The one PT who came to my home the first week I was home said I didn't need it and should just walk during my recovery. I actually didn't even do any of the exercises the hospital sent me home with (other than the ankle pumps the first week to avoid any blood clots). At one point (I think sometime between 6 and 8 weeks) I still had a mild limp and had considered starting PT to correct it, but I waited and now my limp has disappeared (I'm 5 months and 3 months post-op). I had also regained my ROM right away, so that wasn't an issue. I've seen members here end up with chronic pain issues from PT and I've seen other members who swear by PT and do really well with it. I just read a medical study where half the patients had PT and the other half did not and both groups recovered exactly the same. One important issue is to keep using your cane until your limp disappears, otherwise your brain memorizes the limp, making it much more difficult to get rid of.

Sending all of you prayers, well wishes and great big virtual hugs! :friends:
 
@Cynthia777 Thanks for posting this. I have been thinking about this subject a lot as I read other peoples threads. I have been told by my OS that I will need PT to correct my walk as I walk with my leg rotated outward.
They told me they will be sending me home with a prescription for PT. So it sounds like I can control if I do it or not.
My thinking atm is I really want to wait until at least 6 weeks post op (just do walking around my house and up and down the street as I am able until then) and then MAYBE go in and see what they say at PT. I am also thinking since I get to pick the place to go, I want to go in to a few places before surgery and "interview" them.
Do you think waiting that many weeks after to start any if at all PT would hurt learning to walk right?
 
Hi @Tweetybrd!
If I were you, I would ask your OS if there is any reason why you would need PT by a certain time post-op and if your OS says you can start any time, I would 100% wait at least six weeks post-op before starting (until you are pretty much pain free). If you didn't have the issue with the rotation (I'm unfamiliar with this problem and what you should or should not do), I would try not going to PT at all. I think the longer you wait (as long as you get an ok from your OS), you will have a clearer picture of where your gait really stands. Make sure before moving from your walker to a cane that you can walk without a limp. Same goes before getting rid of the cane. This is really important. Also, if you do go to PT, DO NOT let them push you to a point that anything hurts. I hope this is helpful.
 
@Cynthia777 Thanks! Sounds like a great plan! I'm not sure what he saw when I walked, as I don't feel like I do that. But he is the OS and I cant see myself walk. I just know I was limping really bad that last time I saw him. :(
 
@Tweetybrd
I waited a little over a year from the onset of my pain to have my first THR and my gait was a mess. I hadn't really noticed anything other than a limp, but my daughter kept saying, "Besides your limp, your're walking really funny." Whatever that "funny" was, it resolved itself after surgery without PT. I would imagine our gaits pre-op are every which way but normal. I would play it by ear and see how you're gait is doing once you've pretty much fully recovered. I just know I'm really happy with the results I've experienced not having PT (or any exercising for that matter). You're pretty young, so I'm not sure if you remembered grandpa on "The Real McCoys", but that's how I walked pre-op (terrible limp), so don't worry about your limp until a couple of months post-op. :-)
 
@Tweetybrd
Lol, I actually became very familiar with that "penguin walk" for quite a few weeks post-op! Thankfully it has now resolved, although when I'm tired I do notice my steps are a bit shorter than they were.
If I had to take this journey again, the worse part for me would be the pre-op worrying mode! So I know exactly where you're at. Hang in there and know you'll be on your way to pain free walking come January. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 - re your earlier note "regarding PT" - really helpful for another of our Buddies who is concerned about her gait at 6 weeks. I've copied and pasted it into a message to draw her attention. All that sort of detail will be very reassuring to her I'm sure. :console2:
 
Hi @Cynthia777, Just checking in and see I popped in on your thread at a good time! Your message on PT is right on! I agree with your advice on 'to do' or 'not to do' when it comes to PT. I, too, did better without the outside PT. I do the walking, however, I do and will continue with my yoga stretches and minimal amount of muscle strengthening as this works well for me. I've had a number of surgeries and after each one, did the outside PT with no improvement, actually had more pain.

Also, wonderfully to hear how well you are doing! :yes: These little blimps in life can sure be discouraging when we are going through them, but once we emerge from those dark depths of despair, we are so much wiser and stronger! The best thing we can do is help those who are struggling to swim up towards the light! You have been here to do just that for so many of us on this site, and I truly believe you deserve our deepest gratitude for your help, support and love. I hope you never leave this site and pray that when I leave for six months and come back to check-in, you will still be here comforting another who is struggling for guidance and reassurance. No pressure @Cynthia777, just hoping!:wink:

Anyway, not to get all sentimental, but when you meet someone who has so much love in their hearts and truly shares this with others, you just want to send a huge Thank You and Hug! A virtual hugh will have to do!:friends:
 
@Miss Muffet
Thanks for sharing my post! I really appreciate it my dear!

@Hipster Girl
You are just too much! :heehee: Pretty much, I just do what I've been doing and nothing very important :)

@keepmovin
You are the sweetest gal ever! I'm so happy I was blessed to be able to trod this journey with you! I'm so very happy to hear how well you're doing! Btw, ya made me blush my friend! :loveshwr:
 
My mother thinks I'm wonder women. I'm her caregiver and she is 86 and refuses to take Advil. Lol. I have to help cook dinner. No choice


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom