THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey New little teeth LOL, only two on top so far and two on bottom .. And momma has gotten after her a few times for biting ..
 
Hi Cindy! You are well on your way to recovery.. your second hip sounds more similar to my experience and like you stated, it's still not as bad as the pre op pain. Our body's ability to overcome and heal is so amazing to me. I think of where we were at this time last year.......

@Pony - I had that maddening itching and each time it meant that more feeling was returning to the incision area.
In face, last week, at 7 months I had another attack of the painful itches.. hahah and after reading your post I palpated my thigh and no more numbness!
 
I had that maddening itching and each time it meant that more feeling was returning to the incision area.
In fact, last week, at 7 months I had another attack of the painful itches.. hahah and after reading your post I palpated my thigh and no more numbness![/QUOTE]

@CricketHip Oh Thank goodness, the numbness has driven me crazey, I was thinking it was because of more then one surgery in the same area and that I may not get the feeling back, I think I can stand the itching if it brings back more feeling.. Its like having your face numb when you have your teeth worked on ..
 
@Pony, I hope you see the same results. I've had this experience with other ortho surgeries so when I get that itchiness I just reassure myself that it's the nerves regenerating and coming back to life. Sometimes it can feel like ants biting me.. :spider:
 
I spoke too soon! The buttocks pain is back again. It's located in the upper butt area (I should have paid more attention to Josephine's charts)! It only hurts when I walk. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
I always have upper and lower buttock pain because my gluteus medius tendon/muscle is torn. It might be a problem with one of the 3 gluteal muscles.
 
Could they be muscle spasms? Friend's OS has prescribed muscle relaxers for those. Flexeril. She's reporting that as her only discomfort and it's not constant thank goodness. (She's 7 weeks post op now).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke too soon! The buttocks pain is back again. It's located in the upper butt area (I should have paid more attention to Josephine's charts)! It only hurts when I walk. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have this off and on, just figured it was from the trauma from the surgery or where I broke it from before.. Actually have had it for years..
 
@Jillie422
Is your friends pain relieved by sitting? I have zero pain while at rest and would think if it were muscle spasms I would still have the pain while sitting. I'd be interested to know what your friend has to say about it. I know the pain isn't from overdoing it, as all I've done is walk (no PT) and I haven't pushed myself with the walking either. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

@Pony
Hopefully you are right and it's just from the strain of surgery. Thanks Pony!
 
@Cynthia777 - I'm sorry about your "pain in the butt"!! I didn't have that per se, but I must say that with Hip #2 done I had more pain in recovery.
It seems the points of pain keep moving. First, it was the back of my leg, then inside of knee, then outside of other knee, etc. I think it is just our bodies trying to find the new balance with 2 new healthier hips.???? (My unscientific thought.) Especially when we start moving more - like you said, it only comes with the walking for you. Would you want to consult Mussolini PT? Put him to good use? A good massage therapist might help with the "growing pains" also... Anyway, I'm hoping that pain subsides as you continue to heal.
 
It seems the points of pain keep moving. First, it was the back of my leg, then inside of knee, then outside of other knee, etc. I think it is just our bodies trying to find the new balance with 2 new healthier hips.???? (My unscientific thought.) Especially when we start moving more
I'm having this, I'm figuring at my age and all the problems I've had, I'm not going to get by without any at all, sure wish I could though lol.. even though I've only had one done and I'm still trying to not limp, I'm getting pain's "mild" compared to what I use to have and they seem to move around..
 
@cynthia, well, for the antero-lateral approach that I had, the surgeon had to "dissect" that muscle/tendon, and other things, in order to get at the joint to do the replacement. Of course, they stitch them up again. It is unknown at this point whether they just never healed after the stitching, or if my activity kept repeatedly dislodging tissues that were trying to heal, or if it healed and then tore. I have never been able to walk since the surgery without the limp that is characteristic of a severe gluteus medius tear. I DO know that when I have my gluteus medius repair surgery, I will be either non-weight bearing or just toe-touch with the surgical leg for 6 - 8 weeks to allow for healing. That certainly was not the case with my THR, which included healing from the GM dissection, which I wasn't fully aware of. I was full weight-bearing then.

I did do in-home PT, and it is possible that some of those activities hurt me, although most were very gentle, except for the one where you lie on your back and hook a towel around the bottom of your foot and stretch your leg up straight and hold it for awhile. That could have done damage. My regular non-PT activities were VERY mild, just walking around a bit. I had more intensive PT starting at 7 weeks, continuing for 22 sessions, since I still had the limp and my insurance paid for every penny of the cost. It is also possible that that hurt me, too, although I definitely had the limp going into it, so probably the damage was already done. I've done research about the antero-lateral and lateral approaches, and apparently having a permanent limp afterwards is more common than with other approaches, which makes sense, since the GM is cut. If it the cut is big enough and doesn't heal, or if it gets torn more and doesn't heal, then you have a limp, and there is no way around it. It's just a fact of anatomy. It doesn't have to be permanent, if you can get the surgery to repair it, but gluteus medius and gluteus minimus surgery is fairly new, and many orthopedists don't know about it, and many orthopedic surgeons can't perform it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom