THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jillie422, I had no idea that people wouldn't be eligible for the anterior approach if their hips were too far gone!

@Krista My OS does do both approaches and I was super disappointed but not totally surprised when he told me that the Posterior will allow him better access and visibility. He comes with rave reviews so I do trust him. I think it's kinda good that I've had the chronic pain leading up to my THR because I've been already following the restrictions for Posterior recovery.

@Cynthia777 still sending continuous prayers for your quick and painless recovery!
:praying:
 
My OS does do both approaches and I was super disappointed but not totally surprised when he told me that the Posterior will allow him better access and visibility.
:sneaker:Jill - don't be deflated. I had posterior and couldn't be more chuffed with the result. My OS explained he favours this approach for the precisely the same reason (so the dog can see the rabbit). My recovery has been as smooth as silk with a beautifully healing scar and great mobility already.
 
@Cynthia777 - aha there you are Cindy! Well, between us we are running out of superlatives. :wowspring: :heehee:
SO great to hear from you so soon and that you've already been up on your pins. :walking:
Comms will be easier once you've got them sorted out on the Wi-Fi front so meanwhile just be assured we're all here grinning from ear to ear knowing you're on the road to yet another prize-winning recovery.:goodpost:
Just off to check up on @gullimac and see how he's doing
Rest and SMILE:loveshwr::roseshwr:
 
So pleased you are well and pain free, but take it steady,:dancy: one day doing too much is three days extra recovery. It is definitely lovely to be home though no matter how well you are treated in hospital, there is no place like home.take care :chillpill:
 
@Cynthia777 -
[Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey
Give this a whirl - at least for the next few days ....?
 
@Cynthia777 - :welome: to the land of 2 shiny new hips! Sorry you are bored in hospital - hope you can get home to your lady lair soon! I'm curious why you got the epidural. But don't worry about details now my dear. Glad you have already been up and walking - that's great! Hope you can get some good SLEEP SLEep sleep sl......... :sleeep::zzz::sleep:
 
Brilliant, @Cynthia777 , and walking already. I agree that the boredom in the first few hours/first day post-op is the worst. Have you got any lovely books or magazines you can read? Or articles on the internet on your I pad (providing you have a Wifi password and the Wifi works). That helped me. Alternatively, of course, you can read everybody's recovery story's in Bonesmart - hihihi. All the best - Constanze
 
@Cynthia777, I think that boredom is a great sign! When I was in the hospital it was a big blur of pain, nausea, huge difficulties with mobility, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep :zzz: (literally 1 hr a day for all 4 days). Things got a little better by the day I went home, but boredom was never possible. So I am thrilled that you feel good enough to be bored. :fingersx: Hope you will be home soon and with your loved ones and in your familiar surroundings!
 
Congratulations @Cynthia777 on feeling "bored". Boring is better than Pain! My #1 incision area was swelling at week one out of #2 surgery. My PT said it was being used as the dependent leg for rising, standing, stepping etc so to ice it too. It has stopped swelling now at 2+ weeks PO. I'm still experiencing swelling around the #2 incision and some swelling around my ankle on that left leg when I sit - even with leg and foot elevated. I'm finding a much more difficult time just sitting and "feeling bored" this time around. The deja vu thingie is misleading me because I know exactly where I was at this same time three months ago and I know how it felt to be 8 weeks, 12 weeks out and I'm ready to be there now - sooner not later. :chillpill: It's so hard to take the chill pill. Thoughts on feeling bored while waiting to heal. I could not/cannot focus the brain for any in-depth reading. I dislike day time television. Being on the internet gets stressful to me after a while and I, again, am not able to focus. I now divide my time between puttering around the house (sans walker or cane :bignono:) surfing the web and coloring in my "adult" coloring books. The coloring completely absorbs my concentration and yet my mind freewheels. It's a lot like doing yard work for me. I'm using my hands and passing time while still relaxing (if that makes sense). Hurry up and Wait ... get the hips replaced and heal. My OS told me when he said that I needed THR on both hips, "You want to get your life back". I certainly do but I didn't know it was going to be a slow go. Hoping you will be set to go home soon and begin this journey in comfort. Circulate the life energy that is all around you and BE BORED. --julie (who is practicing in this life to be a guru in the next life) :wink:
 
@Jillie422, I just wanted to second what @Miss Muffet said about the posterior approach. I too was disappointed to learn that my surgeon uses the posterior approach, but honestly I am extremely happy with the outcome. I had two THRs, eight weeks apart, and am now walking pain free and enjoying greater mobility and quality of life than I had for years prior to the surgery. There are some restrictions, of course, but those are lifted eventually and the difference between pre and post surgery is absolutely incredible.
Sending good thoughts your way as your big day approaches. You're going to do great and the freedom you gain from taking this brave step is worth all the build up. Take care. :)
 
Yay!
Happy you're pain free and hoping you get a good few naps in over the next few days!
 
@Jillie422, I just wanted to second what @Miss Muffet said about the posterior approach. I too was disappointed to learn that my surgeon uses the posterior approach, but honestly I am extremely happy with the outcome. I had two THRs, eight weeks apart, and am now walking pain free and enjoying greater mobility and quality of life than I had for years prior to the surgery. There are some restrictions, of course, but those are lifted eventually and the difference between pre and post surgery is absolutely incredible.
:)

I would also like to chime in my opinion on the posterior approach. I too, was disappointed that my highly-skilled surgeon only did posterior. When I asked why, he said he used to do other approaches, but found the posterior was best, in his opinion. I only have a 4 inch scar and recovery was no big deal. I would definitely request that approach again. I didn't have restrictions (but I was cautious anyway).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom