BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[MUA] Festina lente -Hastening slowly

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Spex10, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little red canoe

little red canoe Graduate

United States United States
    Ah ye of the executive plan ahead mind...! Considering all the possibilities! But you need a bookie to analyze the odds of all your outcomes.

The OS sees many more of these ( hundreds, thousands?) than you do ( 1) If he/she couldn't do it, do you really think it would be suggested?

Is there a worse than the pickle that you are in now? What sort of worse are you envisioning?

PS I am watching a marathon of Downton Abbey.. what a nice way to spend New Years Eve. I missed it all the first time around. I will be on my cycle. I wish you could be on the cycle too.. after MUA you will.

2. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

3. Spex10

Spex10 Graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Karri. Its not exactly encouraging! Poor soul seems to be having awful trouble.

4. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

We haven't heard from her in a while, but if arthrofibrosis is truly your issue perhaps you should look for someone who specializes in it.

5. zzevi

zzevi Graduate

@Spex10 I feel for you, I am sorry to hear your stuck. I think the position your in is probably different then most of us. P/T pushes us, but were swollen and do have some small margin of success over time. Your sounds like it just isn't moving. MUA scared the heck out of me also, for the reason of starting over from square one, but I did have small increases of ROM. (never what p/t wanted or the surgeon, but I decided what ever time it took to get ROM I would move forward on my own, with out being pushed.)
    I guess if it's needed, and I myself toyed with the idea, the sooner you can get it done the sooner you will be on that road to recovery. It is something you will have to gear yourself up for mentally, but your not happy right now with your situation so you need to get into the mindset of doing what ever needs to be done to accomplish your personal goal, and to get your life back.
    I'll be watching for your postings, thinking of you, stay strong........move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

I agree with zzevi. If after months of trying the BS way without success then it's time to try other alternatives. Each one of us is different and what our bodies do its different. In whatever decision you make, I pray you have complete success with it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. mbrown

mbrown Senior

I'm curious, what causes the need for a MUA? And is a MUA where they just basically put you under anesthesia and force it through the flexion, or are they going in and changing something in the implant?

8. little red canoe

9. mbrown

mbrown Senior

Probably some truth to that. I'm on here because I'm a social person and enjoy talking to others about shared experiences. Also because I'm laid up with nothing else to do. I've not had any problems but of course I'm on day 6

• Like Like x 1
  10. mbrown

mbrown Senior

I'm probably not qualified to opine on this, but if it were my knee, I was going backwards, were at 50, and I trusted my OS I would be there tomorrow for a MUA. JMHO.

11. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    As long as you give your knee lots of TLC afterwards and don't get persuaded into exercising it like crazy, the MUA won't make things worse. It will be painful for a while, because some of your soft tissues will be damaged again, but your recovery will not be as long as your initial recovery was.
    You will be under the anaesthetic while the MUA is done, because the procedure is painful.

Of course the OS will be able to do it - he's been trained to do it and has probably done many of them.

MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spex10

Spex10 Graduate

I've ordered one of those little static peddler things. It seemed quite a nice way to mobilise a little. It's more for after MUA though. I couldn't work one right now.

13. zzevi

zzevi Graduate

Sounds like you are starting to pull your thoughts together to do what is right for you and your situation. Were all here for you what ever you choose.
    Sometimes our fears keep us from moving forward, hoping with our help and support your able to face your challenge head on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. BC55

BC55 Junior Member

Today my knee feels the worst since surgery. Feels so tight I can hardly bend it. Don't know what is going on.Feels like I'm go backwards. I'm depressed now.

15. Spex10

Spex10 Graduate

Sorry to hear that BC55. Maybe you overdid it yesterday? Maybe it'll loosen up today? I hope so. I expect that the moderators will have some more helpful suggestions. Sending good wishes to you is all I can offer - but I do!

16. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

TKR recovery is a rollercoaster ride with many ups and downs. If you find you're having a difficult day, make sure you haven't joined the ODIC and get the leg elevated/iced.

17. little red canoe

My Oncologist had the best advice. We are all taught that cancer patients battle with or fight cancer. So I was trying to keep up with constantly exercising and eating right and feeling a failure when all I wanted was my couch.
    We are taught to fight with PT to recover from joint surgery.. Battle hard battle often.

My Onco said that he was throwing some pretty potentially lethal drugs at me and there was no room for extra energy to devote to anything but healing. Ergo if your body says be a couch potato be a couch potato.. This too would pass
    And it did after chemo was over.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

I'm 7 months out today, and still will have unexplainable pain. Usually, after a couple of days of rest, My Brat is fine again. Even the weather affects it some. I expect this to go away once I'm totally healed. So, your knee is probably telling you to slow down and do as little as possible until it's happy again. Don't worry. It's all perfectly normal. Frustrating? Yes, but nothing to worry about!

19. Cratchit

Cratchit Senior

Thinking of you and hoping things go well at your appointment today.

20. Spex10

Spex10 Graduate

Thanks Cratchit. Well we went to the appointment and grilled the OS. He was very nice and patient with us and carefully explained everything. Bottom line is that I'm booked in for MUA next Friday (13th!) to be followed by a night in hospital on a CPM them physio for a month. Luckily I've got the very good physio so I feel a bit happier about that. Que sera sera I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.