TKR Feel so alone

Last night was another sleepless painful night so ended up taking another dose of Oramorph at 3 am this morning.
This afternoon I am going to the hospital for my first physio session (really dreading it) and this evening I have my staples removed. Can’t believe this is all happening in one day.
I have also ordered from amazon a proper knee ice pack, I have been using a large bag of frozen peas.
I will update this evening on how it all went today.

When you go for your physio session, keep in mind that you control the session, not them. If anything hurts, stop. If you get tired, stop. It’s your knee, not theirs. Don’t let them assist your bend. They should only touch you for massage. (I didn’t know all that at your stage.)

I also had a 45 minute PT session, then right over to my surgeon’s office to get my stitches out. I was exhausted.

If you like that ice pack, get a couple more, so there’s always one ready to go.

Hang in there.:console2:

When you go for your physio session, keep in mind that you control the session, not them. If anything hurts, stop. If you get tired, stop. It’s your knee, not theirs. Don’t let them assist your bend. They should only touch you for massage. (I didn’t know all that at your stage.)

I also had a 45 minute PT session, then right over to my surgeon’s office to get my stitches out. I was exhausted.

If you like that ice pack, get a couple more, so there’s always one ready to go.

Hang in there.:console2:

Thank you for your good advice

@Flash1955 I have just started weaning myself off Oromorph, I am 7 weeks post op, however if I need it I take it. It does get better, at 4 weeks I cried, angry, depressed but took all the advice from here and felt a huge relief. Don't let PT touch or do anything you are not comfortable with. That was my first instruction when I saw PT at 4 weeks, Don't touch. Best exercises are the rehab ones and number 1 friend, ICE. I am still constantly icing, even during the night if its painful I go for ice. Take it easy and don't try to rush anything, wish you well xx

@Flash1955 Hello and hugs to you from across the pond! Oh my, I can't imagine doing this alone...none of us know what this will be like, so don't kick yourself. The first few weeks are so tough. I am entering week 3, and it is getting better, but the hardest parts are so tough. I cried, tried not to use pain meds and gave up on that idea, and relied on this board for advice and support. Be super kind and gentle to yourself, rely on friends, and if there are any groups you belong to like a church or a workplace, ask for soups, stews, casseroles, etc. Keep typing and keeping us informed, and good luck to you.

Yesterday was a little gruelling, Physio wasn’t as bad as I expected. My knee bend is ok but I haven’t made any progress with being able to straighten the knee. The gap between knee and bed is the same (if that makes sense). Has anyone got any suggestions to help me with this please. Next Tuesday I have to start going to the hospital gym, not sure what I am expected to do there!
Clips were removed successfully, a small bleed from the beginning of the wound so hopefully that will repair itself.

@Flash1955 I had my LTKR on March 2 as well! How are things today?
I too had the bruising which is certainly painful. I had to have help getting dressed and putting on these awful compression stockings. The dead thigh muscle has been the hardest for me. It’s waking up now and I’m able to use it some. It’s so frustrating isn’t it?! Like it won’t connect with your brain - it’s the weirdest thing. Hang In there!

Yesterday was a little gruelling, Physio wasn’t as bad as I expected. My knee bend is ok but I haven’t made any progress with being able to straighten the knee. The gap between knee and bed is the same (if that makes sense). Has anyone got any suggestions to help me with this please. Next Tuesday I have to start going to the hospital gym, not sure what I am expected to do there!
Clips were removed successfully, a small bleed from the beginning of the wound so hopefully that will repair itself.

Hey Flash,
so the only suggestion is to relax and let time be your friend. I am 18 days outt and started PT last monday. Luckily I have a therapist that listens to me and while I do have a bit of pain during the sessions it's not severe.

Don't worry about your extension too much at this stage once you are walking unaided the extension will sort it out, at PT, I never did leg weights nor have I done so since, whatever you do don't let them try and make you do this as can cause more harm than good and will create a lot of unnecessary swelling - like @eliza61nyc said "time" will be your friend xxx

Hi Flash-how was physio yesterday?

My physio was ok, they just did a few exercises, bending and stretching. Next week I start at the hospital gym. Not sure what they are expecting me to do. Thank you for asking Jewlz1

If it's anything like my hospital gym we do a 10 minute warm up moving arms and legs then a circuit of various exercises including exercise bike, cross trainer and treadmill for 2 minutes at a time with a short break halfway and if anyone is struggling with an exercise they adapt it for them and then we have a 10 minute stretch session/cool down at the end, no weights or presses.

Now 12 days post op.
Pain management still good, will start slowly decreasing the Dihydrocodeine Sunday but keep paracetamol at the same level.
My leg is still very quick to swell if I do my exercises or walk around the house so still icing lots and elevating.
Getting a little frustrated at times now because I want to do jobs around the house but can’t. It takes willpower to stay away from the vacuum etc. (Just over house proud I suppose) . I know my recovery is more important .
Going forward now, I feel that I am on the upward road with fewer bad days and I know this is due to reading all the good advise that everyone here has given me and from reading other people’s recovery stories. I will keep posting

Help, just took my ice pack of my knee and my whole leg had began throbbing and is so painful. What have I done wrong??

It sounds like you have had a very normal recovery experience so far. The first few weeks are difficult and depressing. I was reading your posts thinking “wow I think I wrote all those same words!”

I am 8 weeks out now and I am doing pretty much whatever I want. The knee still stiffens up after standing and doing a lot of stuff and going down stairs is hard. It moves around and knocks in some ways I am not used to. But the arthritis pain is totally gone and each week things get slightly better. After only 8 weeks!

I think you are on track BUT YOU NEED TO ICE MORE. Do not be stingy with the ice. It basically replaced the pain meds for me though I do take Aleve. Ice Ice Ice. And don’t push the exercises. Less is more. If (when) you have a setback (I did) don’t freak out. Just do nothing except ice for a few days.

Good luck!

Help, just took my ice pack of my knee and my whole leg had began throbbing and is so painful. What have I done wrong??
Do you put it directly on you skin or use a cloth in between? Directly on the skin may be too cold, but the medical experts on here know more.

I have bought a Vive knee ice pack wrap from amazon and it doesn’t say anything about putting something between the knee and the wrap. It’s almost as if my whole leg has gone into brain freeze.

With regard to the extension - my PT has me put my ankle on a skinny swim noodle (or small rolled up towel at home) with my leg straight for 10 minutes 2x/day so that gravity helps the knee straighten out. Maybe ask about this at your next physio session. Frustrating how hard it is to get that extension (so gradual) and then, for me at least, after the extension exercises, increased stiffness when it's time to bend. PT said that's how it will be for a while when transitioning. Sounds like you are doing better, the vacuuming can wait. You are more important than the appearance of the house. I use an Aircast ice brace often and place a clean, thin dish towel between me and the brace.

With regard to the extension - my PT has me put my ankle on a skinny swim noodle (or small rolled up towel at home) with my leg straight for 10 minutes 2x/day so that gravity helps the knee straighten out. Maybe ask about this at your next physio session. Frustrating how hard it is to get that extension (so gradual) and then, for me at least, after the extension exercises, increased stiffness when it's time to bend. PT said that's how it will be for a while when transitioning. Sounds like you are doing better, the vacuuming can wait. You are more important than the appearance of the house. I use an Aircast ice brace often and place a clean, thin dish towel between me and the brace.

Thank you

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks