Guest viewing is limited

TKR Feel so alone

Hang in there Flash1955! You will get through this! One day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time.
 
Hi Flash1955,
We both had surgery the same day. I was discharged the next day home. You are so spot on with all your post-op symptoms. I bet you prepared for everthing else (like most of us) however, there was no way to prepare for the mental/emotional states we go thru. When I was reading your post...I felt like I was reading something I wrote.
I just got my staples out Friday. Gave myself the night and started doing some physio to bend my knee this morning. Had not, nor was able too as it is so because its so swollen/bruised. Going to take baby steps.
Thank you for sharing your story. You're doing good...
 
Last edited:
Hi Flash1955,
We both had surgery the same day. I was discharged the next day home. You are so spot on with all your post-op symptoms. I bet you prepared for everthing else (like most of us) however, there was no way to prepare for the mental/emotional states we go thru. When I was reading your post...I felt like I was reading something I wrote.
I just got my staples out Friday. Gave myself the night and started doing some physio to bend my knee this morning. Had not, nor was able too as it is so because its so swollen/bruised. Going to take baby steps.
Thank you for sharing your story. Your doing good...

Thank you
 
It's always a good idea to have a cloth (t-towel) wrapped around the ice pack never have it in direct contact it's possible that your knee reacted to the cold. Enjoy the break from housework I can guarantee time goes pretty fast and soon you'll be back to your daily chores :heehee:
 
Putting a rolled up towel or something similar under your ankle causes way too much pain. Don't worry so much about ROM now. Your knee has to heal and get rid of all that swelling. It also causes bad numbers with extension. What your knee needs is time...time to heal.
 
Thinking about you Flash1955 and hoping you are doing ok! Sending hugs and positive vibes.
 
You're welcome Flash! Keep us posted on how the gym goes next week!
 
Now almost 2 weeks post op.
I seem to have come to a complete stop. I have had to stop bending and stretching because my knee is so sore and swells up so quickly. The left side of knee is the worst, when I put any weight on my leg the pain is awful and my whole knee feels like I have a tight bandage around it. I am elevating and icing loads which helps for a while then as soon as I get on my crutches it all swells again, vicious circle. What is going on? Am I doing wrong by stopping gentle exercises? I also have a bulge that sits at the very top of my knee, to the left side and this part swells even more that the rest of my knee, is this normal? Looking forward to hearing from anyone that can help.
 
Forgot to mention I’m my post above, I have increased my pain meds so now taking more than I did in last 2 weeks. I also haven’t overdone my exercises, was doing no more than when I first left hospital
 
You may see differences in swelling when you're on your feet. You are so early that just plain being swollen is the norm. Having your leg down--either while sitting or being on your feet will increase the stiffness. That doesn't mean anything is wrong, unfortunately it's just part of the recovery process.
 
I experienced that too at a point! Was glad to have my Oxy when I started my early PT sessions that I actually started late. At first I questioned why I would take more pain meds later, but activities changed and the healing processes shifted.

Also, I had the nerve block catheter the first five day so once that was gone I had to adapt slightly.

And, it's ok to do NOTHING for a bit. Your knee is still so new. I really didn't get into my movement or formal PT until almost week three! All good. The delay did not hurt my later ROM, in my case.

Forgot to mention I’m my post above, I have increased my pain meds so now taking more than I did in last 2 weeks.
 
Another day, was hoping to see an improvement this morning but unfortunately the same. Can anyone explain why I have quite a big lump that has come up on the side of my knee near the top. It is fairly soft. Also on that side of my knee is very painful when I put any weight on it. Wasn’t like this until a few days ago. Any form of exercise is still impossible. I am so frightened I will not get my knee to work properly
again. I am in my early 60s and was hoping to get my life back on track.
 
@Flash1955 Are you icing your knee? What exercises are you doing currently? This all sounds like normal post op issues. You are only days out of surgery. Patience is prescribed in large doses.
 
@Flash1955 Are you icing your knee? What exercises are you doing currently? This all sounds like normal post op issues. You are only days out of surgery. Patience is prescribed in large doses.

Yes I am icing lots. The lady 2 days I haven’t been able to do any exercises and even walking on my crutches a few steps has become painful. I was previously doing a knee bend sitting up on my bed, using a dressing gown belt to help my bend my knee, also an exercise where I have to tighten my knee and lift the bottom part of my leg/foot of the bed, this I can do as I can’t lift my leg at all I’m a sitting position
 
Flash, I am sorry you are having these problems, hope you are better by now- its so unpredictable-we start feeling better and then can slide way back- Swelling was my number 1 issue, it took 7 weeks before it finally looked normal.It looked like elephantitis- It totally messes up PT, then it's still so fragile and you do have to baby it, which I sux at! Hang in there!
 
Flash, I am sorry you are having these problems, hope you are better by now- its so unpredictable-we start feeling better and then can slide way back- Swelling was my number 1 issue, it took 7 weeks before it finally looked normal.It looked like elephantitis- It totally messes up PT, then it's still so fragile and you do have to baby it, which I sux at! Hang in there!

Thank you
 
I was previously doing a knee bend sitting up on my bed, using a dressing gown belt to help my bend my knee,
I was told to use something to pull my foot as close to me as I could, also, which I did, but I did it laying down I despised that exercise as it was so uncomfortable. When I found Bonesmart I learned that we shouldn’t use anything to “assist” our bend, as it causes more pain, and puts too much pressure on the new knee, which is counterproductive. So, please stop doing that. It’s not necessary anyway, your knee will bend as you heal and your swelling goes down.
also an exercise where I have to tighten my knee and lift the bottom part of my leg/foot of the bed, this I can do as I can’t lift my leg at all I’m a sitting position
I refused to do any kind of leg lift exercise as it bothered my back issues. This is also probably causing your new pain.

At only 2 weeks post op all you need to do is very gentle bending movements, and short walks around the house, to give your knee mobility.


Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
The swelling I had caused so much pain when I would stand up and try to walk. It was like my legs were on fire. It would ease up after walking a little, hanging on my walker. It was a stage that passed. I started massaging my legs a lot, which was soothing to me.
 
Today has seemed to drag by but I have managed to stay cheerful. I have been icing, elevating, resting and trying to walk around the house on my crutches for some exercise. After all of that, the movement in my knee has not improved. My first hospital gym class was cancelled for tomorrow due to staff illness, so that was a big relief for me as the smallest of bend is a real problem at the moment. Hopefully tonight I will sleep better and my knee will decide to be a bit more bendable.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom