TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooh I bet you had a fantastic day! :ok: You can't beat the seaside for lifting the spirits! :happydance: What colour is your sweatshirt? I've treated myself to a new pair of merrell trainers, in anticipation of my walking distances soon!! :heehee: Still eyeing up the heels, not anywhere near recovered enough to wear any!!! :shocked: Retail therapy is truly the best there is! Spent 2 hours mogging around Costco this morning with hubby, my sis & BIL, was stiff getting back in the car, slept two hours when I got home!! Then popped out to hobby craft & bought some lovely wool to crochet up my summery afghan blanket, colours primrose, a golden marigold colour & the palest peach. Will keep me occupied for weeks!!! Are you doing anything nice tomorrow? My friend has invited us over for Sunday dinner, so bought a thundering great cake to take with me as not quite up to baking one yet!! Have a lovely night & hope you have a great Sunday. Maybe another riverside stroll if it's nice? :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
@jethugger; don't know what sounds nicer, the lovely colours of your blanket or the thundering great cake. ,mmmmm think the cake on consideration. Always a winner
 
Hi jetthugger robynhood and Fernie
Thank you for your lovely posts.
My sweatshirt is a lovely vivid turquoise and cream stripe with hot pink accents. Very cheerful.
Your new trainers sound like a good plan Alison. :ok:
How are you doing Pat, hope you are getting this lovely sunshine and a little bit of warmth. It is so cheering.
How are the exercises going?
I am getting used to my new exercises and my leg is reacting less to them. Hopefully if I keep going gently I will build up a bit more strength ready for the tour de bonesmarties.
I was enjoying my bike ride so much this morning that I did 10 k. I feel fine so things are looking up.
Hope you are having good fun in the swimming pool Fernie.
Happy Sunday everyone.
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile:
 
Wow 10k? If I could manage that I wold definitely ride to work & back again (when I go back, that is!) excellent stuff TF! :ok: You thought about riding outside yet? :bicycle2: its still very cold here in the midlands, hoping good weather comes soon!!! :umm: My exercises are mainly of the walking upstairs & trying to walk back down properly variety, stretches & bends & walking. Will have another go on the old exercise bike, but it's not a thing I enjoy. Hats off to you doing 10km though!! :happydance: :dancy: How long did it take you? Will you be picking up your knitting pins again soon? my blanket is getting slowly bigger, though I'm not yet halfway through my first three balls, (I bought nine!!) :yikes: MaY make a couple of matching cushion covers if too much wool! :whistle: :heehee: Well done again, you Certainly seem to be having an amazing recovery! Big hugs :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
I'm just catching up on your thread from the last week or so and am so impressed with all that you've endured and accomplished! :yay: Way to go on the increased ROM and continued use of the bike! It certainly does give hope that there are days when life doesn't revolve around these knees doesn't it?

Your jumper (we'd call it a sweater) is beautiful! I love the color, so flattering on every skin tone! Those biscuits and hot cross buns looked delicious! I must get my hands on some one of these Easters!

So glad to hear that your new exercises are going well for you too. Remember, if they cause swelling or increased pain, to listen to your knee and back down a bit as needed. That single standing heel raise does sound daunting indeed. My PT has asked me to try to balance on my TKR leg for a count of 5 and it's one of the hardest exercises I have. Some days my knee will tolerate it, other days it's just too sore.

Have a wonderful remainder of your weekend!
 
Hello Alison jetthugger and Sarah forevergimpy
My 10 k on the exercise bike took me about 25 minutes. I am not going very fast and it is on the lowest resistance. I have thought about going outside but riding outdoors is a trickier prospect with gear changes and a bit more strength needed. I will wait till the weather is a bit warmer and I am a bit stronger.
When I am on my exercise bike I watch catch up TV on my computer which gives me something else to think about while the KM's tick by.
I have been knitting again, I finished a half done baby cardigan which is now just needing buttons and I have started another one. It is such a luxury to have the time to sit and knit.
Like Sarah I would love to see a picture of your blanket and your tea cosy.
I agree with you Sarah about standing on one leg, I was very surprised and a little bit shocked when the physio suggested it. It does get easier with practice but I don't think I could have done it at all at your stage of recovery, well done to you.
It is another lovely day here today and I have been out for another walk by the river. I admit I am quite tired now and sitting with my feet up and an ice pack on my leg.
Hope you are both having a good day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :egypdance: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi,I'm also struggling with standing on one leg, did lots in the pool though, and the tiptoe one as well, much easier and you do still feel the muscles working. The hardest part was getting in and out of the pool!

The 10k is impressive :thumb:

Make the most of your time off to knit and relax, now you are feeling able to. I've found the time as flown by and I've not done much at all as spent longer being I'll than I anticipated if that makes sense :heehee: .

Take care, fx
 
:egypdance: Hi Tf
wonderful progress on all fronts, it' so encouraging to read your posts and to know that as each week passes you are getting stronger and getting more control into your knee. :yahoo:

I love how productive you are it certainly is a a great asset on the recovery ride to be able to focus on something other then 'the knee' :cheers:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF, will try to get a pic of my ever growing blanket but I only have my iPad & iPhone so have not yet figured out how to do it. Cosy has gone to a good friend, together with a teapot! I wanted her to get out of the awful practice of bunging a tea bag into a mug & thinking this was acceptable!!! :whistle: :umm: My exercise bike is set to quite a high resistance, so I will probably have quads like bowling balls once I am able to go any distance on the darn thing!! :groan: Off shopping now - my own version of pt!!!! :heehee:
Keep up the excellent progress you are making on your bike! Can see you whizzing down the lanes in the tour le bonesmartie finals!! :bicycle1: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile: :yahoo:
 
Hi Jetthugger, how could anyone put a teabag in a mug :whistle: :blush:
Ok ok I admit to being a total slob. I will understand if you block me now...... :heehee:
Did you buy anything nice while shopping?
I have been shopping too (online), a skirt, top and some more wool, patterns, buttons and..... wait for it.... a crochet hook. I am going to try to learn to crochet. Worth a try. I've found helpful online guides.
I seem to have hit a bit of a bump in the path at the moment. My TKR knee is more stiff and swollen. I have cut back on my exercises and have stayed off my bike today. I am going to have a few easy days and hope it settles. I am not too worried, I think it is a price I am paying for getting ahead of myself and overdoing things a bit.
We all seem to have to learn the hard way. :whistle: :umm:
I seem to remember that our Fernie friend Fernie had similar problems around this stage. I am just reminding myself that it is still early in TKR recovery and that patience is required. I have requested another sick note for another four weeks so time to chill.
Hope everyone else is doing well,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
Hello, another 4 weeks is good and takes you to , 9ish? I'm sure you'll be fine as you are progressing so well.

Hhmm, visiting the ODIC, never mind, enjoy a nice :martini: And :sleep: Whilst you are there. It all catches up with us in The end. I'm still sore from a hard PT this morning and yesterday's antics at work. Seriously, tomorrow, I'm sitting at my desk and working instead Of socialising :whistle:, it's hard work :heehee:. Even other knee is hurting !

you are really going for this craft thing, looks like I'm the odd one out here! :what:


Take care my fluttery friend and rest that poor knee, hugs :console2: Fx
 
Hi Fernie,
Please please please don"t feel excluded from the crafty club:cry: , the big difference is that you have a very important small person to love and cherish and who keeps you very busy.:wink: No wonder you dont have time for knitting, crochet etc even if you were inclined.
I am a bit confused with my knee, I have just been a little walk to post a letter and it was very sore when I stood up but once I started walking it felt great. I popped on my bike when I came home and did 5K, feeling much better.
It seems to be worse if I sit too much but doesn't like overdoing it either. I just need to experiment and find out how much resting to do and how much moving. All good fun.
Take it gently at work tomorrow, let people visit you.
hugs, Toothfairy x :rolleyes: :kittykiss:
 
Ha ha, I'm fine and will be happily excluded from the craft :)! Lord, I dont even get Time to read these days, although I did write a pub quiz last night for the school as a favour to the PTA. :yay:.

Watch ya little knee TF, I still think you are doing a wee bit too much. I'm probably not doing enough, although had a good pt this morning.

fx
 
Hi Fernie, are you Wonder Woman? You have your first short day back at work, are out of the house till after 6pm then manage to write a quiz. Now I am in awe.
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Glad you had a good physio session.
Have a great day tomorrow.
Toothfairy x :heehee:
 
:rofsign: Yes, my short day was somewhat e xtended, not sure how I managed to spend 9 hours away from home yesterday, it really was not intentional. Then I cooked dinner and decided I had to work on the quiz as hv to type it up and sort all the paperwork. Its not as worthy as it sounds though as I do have form when it comes to the humble quiz, so cobbled together and edited some old rounds from the work quizzes but did manage to write 3 new rounds if which I am quite proud. I do like them to be topical.... Which reminds me, I want to pop a Maggie Thatcher q into the GK round. One round was all about snakes as its new Chinese year of the snake - that was a challenge ! Little insight into my life..... this is why I have no time to Knit!

Hhmm wonder woman, not sure about the hot pants :yikes: although I like her little tiara thing :rotfl:

I was working a bit earlier and now have huge to do list for weds. Will hide at my desk and crack on, nx week will get v v busy and stay like that til August. :boohoo:

More new physio exercises, not sure when I'm supposed to get time ( when I'm not sore) to do them. Also wants me to start back at my gym in addition to the gym stuff I do with her and swim twice week,..... Am feeling :sleep: Just thinking about it!

Onwards and upwards, le tour commencing soon... Fx
 
Sounds as though you will need to be Wonder woman complete with hot pants and tiara to do that lot.
You can only do your best. What new exercises do you have to do?
You might have to start pulling night shifts at the gym and pool to fit everything in or just do a little less of everything. Tour training as well.
Hope your day goes well tomorrow. We have the plumber coming to fit the sanitary wear in the en suite (at last) so an early start for me.
Night night, TF x :sleep:
 
Good grief you pair!!! :yikes: ! Toothfairy! Fernie ! You should both slow down some! :shocked: Your putting the rest of us to shame with all this activity!! :bow: ! I'm still umming & arrring about whether to back to wok at six weeks, or maybe if Ii can have another two to three weeks off' i can go swim & strengthen up a bit! :shrug: :scratch: After a short walk & some light housework I'm toast!! Sleep for couple of hours & then ok. :sleep: :wink: Haven't a clue how you guys keep going!!!
Toothfairy, well done on buying a crochet hook! There are some great tutorials on utube and I find crochet very fast & satisfying. I'm sure that you will pick it up in no time, being an experienced knitter. I quite like the chunky handbag patterns, but I do get carried away & must try to stick to one project at a time!!!!
Hope that you are taking it easy, sometimes, when I've met Fernie in the ODIC, I then spend a day going back to basics, mantra & just light leg lifts, flexes etc, nothing as brutal as a 5km bike ride!!!
Still, you know your own body, & your tolerances, so please tell me to zip it! Only cos I care though.......
Big hugs & be gentle with yourselves!!!! :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
jetthugger I am now seriously thinking of setting up residence in the ODIC, it will save me actually getting there, just wake up and be done with it. :rotfl: Save all the hassle of the journey!

Heed these words my Gort like friend...Do not go back at 6 weeks if you can get more. Today is officially 9 weeks for me and my little soirée into working life has floored me this week, I've done two 5 hour sessions of mainly chat and a bit of this and that :whistle:, nothing like my usual hectic day and I just want to sleep.:sleep:

glad you are doing well, no one can prepare us for this complete exhaustion though.

Hope you have had a nice day TF as well. :)

Fx
 
Hi toothfairy, how you feeling today? I hope you are ok and rested. How is your crochet coming along? It's been over 30 years since I've done knitting or crochet myself.

How are your exercises? I've been squating and balancing, must pop on bike actually, been a few days.

Just made a yummy lemon drizzle cake and will pop some whole meal cheese muffins in oven v soon.

Fx :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom