TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I called the surgery today and have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to have my rebellious suture sorted out.
I am quite happy to wait till tomorrow as the little bit of redness has gone and it is dry and sealed up. I would still like it sorted out though so hopefully tomorrow it will be fixed. :egypdance:
I admire your flexibility jetthugger I don't think I could get my teeth close enough to my knee to chew the suture off even if I was inclined! :rotfl:
I am delighted with the way it is looking, so far it is healing beautifully other than the one tiny spot.
:bicycle2: managed 20 backwards rotations today, it is definitely getting easier each day.
I have had a very lazy day again, not done much at all other than stretch and ice and a little light knitting.
I did have some more visitors from work today which was nice.
I have never had so many flowers in my life, just as one vase comes to an end there seems to be a new bunch popping in to take its place.
I feel very lucky and very spoiled.
Take care everyone, be happy,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :yahoo:
 
Hi TF I love having flowers in the house especially in this weather. Its lovely to have the colours and the smells to cheer us up. I wanted to ask you..... Im coming to the end of my knitting. What is the website called you mentioned to someone. I really do need something else to keep mind occupied. Knitting is the answer at the moment.
 
Hi Pat robynhood the website I mentioned is loveknitting.com
I have not actually purchased anything from them yet but it is a lovely website and I am planning to buy my next lot of wool from there.
Happy browsing. What are you planning to knit?
How are you doing today?
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks TF. Im thinking of doing something for myself or maybe for the grandaughters. Will have a look and see. Im not too bad today thanks. Ive been to Chester with my daughter shopping and coped really well without my cane. We are going away to Norfolk for the weekend. I am taking it easy this week so as not to push my luck and overdo it. Still going to do my ROM exercises tho. I am totally comitted to increasing this flippin ROM of mine.
 
That sounds like a good trip today. Well done. I am sure your commitment to increasing your ROM will pay off.
Go Pat!
Night, Toothfairy x :yes!:
 
Good morning everyone. I had my best nights sleep since my TKR last night. (Apologies to all the insomniacs) I woke with a knee that was much stiffer than normal, presumably because I had been lying still and relaxed for longer. I am not complaining, I just hadn't thought of that. It is fine now I have been gently stretching it.
I am starting to get 'zingers' sharp shooting pains at random across my new knee. While they are quite ouchy they are fleeting and quite exciting as hopefully they are a sign of healing and regeneration.
It is an amazing journey full of ups and downs and new experiences.
I am very grateful to be on the journey as it has to be better than a degenerating knee.
Hope everyone has a great day,
Toothfairy x :dancy: :egypdance: :dancy:
 
Wow TF, well done! Bet you feel ten years younger for that! Zingers huh? :groan: Sound like something to look forward to!! :shocked: Here's hoping that the nurse doesn't use her teeth on your suture today :rotfl: It looks like the weather is picking up, we just need to get shot of what band of high pressure to the north & those stiff easterly winds coming in from the east!! Oh & it wouldn't hurt to get a few tugs & tow our lovely island closer to the equator!! :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: :spin: Imagine! We could grow pineapples instead of tomatoes :whistle: :puppysmooze: Enjoy your day - the zingers sound like your nerves are re-establishing themselves? :) :SUNsmile: :friends:
 
I am so chuffed. After doing all my stretches I managed 50 backwards rotations on my bike this morning. My knee was much looser than it has been and for the first time the pedals were going round smoothly and easily. I checked my forward rotation and to my amazement I managed to do 25 forward rotations. I was very comfortable but thought I better stop. I am now sitting with an ice pack doing my unsupported stretch for extension. I am so pleased and astonished. I hope I have not angered the knee king! I will take it gently for the rest of the day.
Keep doing those stretches, it does pay off.
Hope everyone has a great day,
Happy Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance: :dancy:
 
Toothfairy! What a start to a day indeed. :happydance: Great sleep, stiffness and evening's kinks worked out and additional smooth bike rotations! You go girl!

Good thought on stopping while you are ahead and icing so that you don't unintentionally over do it in all of your excitement.
 
Well done TF sounds like you have had an excellent day and night before :dancy: I hope the knee behaves it self and gives you another good night :spin:
 
TF I am so pleased for you. Zingers are a weird sensation but like you I thought it was a sign things were getting back to normal. The Bike - yaaaaay forward rotations. Well done. Brilliant for so early in recovery. Just take it easy now dont overdue and then start again tomorrow. I remember I was at least 8 weeks before I did that. Hope you get that suture sorted and have a lovely rest of the day.
 
Its me again. Im getting back to basics again - can you tell me briefly what your stretching exercises are so I can see if they are different to what my physio told me. Thanks :)
 
HI Pat, there are the stretches I do. I do them all three times a day.
I start with ankle pumps 20.
Next comes the static quad, tighten the thigh muscles, pull toes up to point at the ceiling and press knee down flat as possible, hold for count of 5 and relax. Repeat 5-10 times.
Static glutes. Squeeze buttock muscles tightly for count 5 then relax 5-10 reps
Heel slides,
Inner range quads, have knee bent over a pillow or rolled up towel, raise the lower leg, hold for count of 5 then lower, do 5-10 reps.
Straight leg raise 5-10
Assisted leg bend when sitting up bend TKR leg as far as possible then assist it to go a little further by pushing it with the other leg, hold for 20 seconds, 3 reps.
Put TKR leg on bottom stair , lunge forward as far as comfortable and hold for 20 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
While sitting support ankle of TKR leg on a stool, let knee hang unsupported for 20 minutes. Repeat three times daily.
All followed by ice and a long rest.
I also stretch my knee by rocking and rotating on the exercise bike. The physio has said these are all fine for me.
I imagine they are all fairly standard.
Hope that makes sense and helps. Let me know if you need any more detail.
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
Thanks for that TF. Slight variation to mine and defintley more and longer. Will try this as from tomorrow. Heres Hoping. If i do this and the exercise bike i should defnitley see an improvement. :thankyou:
 
I have been to see the nurse this afternoon and had the offending stitch removed.
Hopefully all will now heal up nicely. I am very pleased with how it is healing so far.
I was surprised to find I felt quite sick after my session on the exercise bike this morning. I can only put it down to that as nothing else was different. I just went back to bed for a while and rested and felt better later.
Once you can go forwards on the exercise bike is it still worth doing some backwards rotations too? Does it exercise muscles differently or is the only benefit that it is easier and it is the best place to start. Any views welcome.
I have been out for two short walks today so all in all a good day.
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Sadknee,
I think it must have been that but I did not feel like I was pushing hard at the time. It was such a surprise to feel nauseous after. I will restrain myself tomorrow morning.
Toothfairy x :)
 
Hi TF Ive always thought that the backwards rotation on the bike was just for the very early stages until your knee got a little stronger and you can do the forward rotation ok. I really dont think you need to do the backwards one for any other exercise. Your knee might have got a bit of a shock this morning doing the forward one so take care not to push too much. You are doing really well for just a few weeks and dont want to spoil it.
 
Yay...finally and with great applause... forward rotations :yay: :dancy: :happydance: :spin: the peloton welcomes TF to le Tour de BoneSmarties, go girl ...it does feel good when it comes. No need to caution you about taking it easy you are reading your body so well and it so encouraging to see your strength and mobility gently increasing everyday. :yahoo:
I think perhaps knitting would be very satisfying...I haven't knitted in ages but last year when we were on holidays we visited a woollen mill in Victoria and they were selling handknitted items and I bought a lovely short jacket. I'd forgotten how warm and cosy handknitted items are and when I looked closely at it I thought this is such a simple pattern perhaps I could make one of these. Maybe with winter a few months away...a seed has been sown. :)

Keep doing all the things that make you smile...see you in the peloton :bicycle1:


hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom