TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Alison jetthugger it took me about 10 minutes to walk round the block, not too far at all. It is also fairly flat and reasonably smooth under foot. I am just building up gradually. I used one crutch and a husband on the other side.
Good luck with nurse Ratchett, shout long and loud and make a big fuss if you don't get the meds you need.
We all help each other out. You have passed many words of wisdom my way too. Thank you too.
Sweet dreams
Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :happydance: :dancy:
 
Confucius say, if you don't want to fall over, put bad leg in knickers first! :whistle: :rotfl: :heehee: Lesson learned on one of my new bathroom excursions! Take care Toothfairy, well done on 10 minute walk!!! :yahoo: , I may get to give my old dog, Jett a slow & steady sooner than I thought!! :happydance: :yay:
 
Good morning Alison, jetthugger excursions to the bathroom? already, wow. You are doing brilliantly. :cheers: :dancy:
I hope you didn't really fall over!
You sound so very much better than yesterday. Maybe it's those hunky young male physio's that have revived you. :thumb: :yahoo:
Take it gently and enjoy your newly regained freedom.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF, no, I didn't fall, just wobbled a bit. The physios were rather impressed with me (though I did feel like I was cheating) the leg lift off the bed I find almost impossible to do, so in a deft attempt at distraction, I told him I had better rom if seated upright on my chair! :whistle: He fell for it!! :heehee: Got the SWATT team coming tomorrow, will be nice to sleep in my own bed again - cant believe it only been two days! :shocked: Take care, keep up the block walking! :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jetthugger and Gort,
I wouldn't worry about the leg lift. I was asked to do this on day 1 after surgery, couldn't move it even a mm. They didn't ask on day two and I didn't remind them. When I was next asked to try on day 4 I could do it with a little assistance and it got easier and easier every day after that. It will come, give those poor traumatised muscles a chance.
Hope the SWATT team (???) don't come too early, sweet dreams,
Toothfairy x :sleep:
 
Hairy legs, no worries, mine have not been shaved yet. Glad we have had chill weather, long pants hides all.
Congrats to you Toothfairy on your bike training. Good job!
I just loved that you brought up the knitting idea. Something I used to enjoy. I would like to have a very light poncho, maybe almost lace like to keep warm in the summertime do the AC being on. What have you started on? Do you crochet too?
Toothfairy , you sound pretty good and of course doing a wonderful job for what, just over 3 weeks, my hat is off to you. Keep up the excellent work, hugs my friend :friends:
 
Hi TF, how's it going today? necessity really is the mother of invention innit? Especially when faced with two hungry dogs & an AWOL hubby!! Managed a nifty dance (well, more of a shuffle) :heehee: Aroud the kitchen, pandering to my two lovelies every whim! Gort is being very good in all of this, whilst all the rest of my knee is swollen, stiff & feels like I have a really tight bandage on, I glide into a knee bend (as opposed to crunch, click!) snowing here :yikes: Someone needs to have a serious word about this, it's spring for chuffs sake!! :shocked: Getting my staples out next week, 28th, which apart fom returning home from hospital Wednesday, will be my first excursion out!! :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: Keep giving me your progress reports, it's like looking into somewhat of a future, I know two recoveries aren't the same, but with you and Fernie forging ahead, I'm confident enough to bring up the rear (so to speak) big hugs x x :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Kim, livinginfl I did crack and shaved my legs a few days ago. It was bliss. I was extremely careful and felt so much better afterwards.
I am making very slow progress on the exercise bike but am persevering. It is still a challenge making that backwards rotation and still a little bit scary each time. :yikes: I managed four consecutive slow backwards rotations yesterday and was really pleased with myself. Trying for one more each day if I can. :bicycle2:
I am knitting myself an Aran jumper in a pretty raspberry pink colour. I had already done the front and about a third of the back. I have now finished the back and have started both sleeves. Hope to finish it in the next week or so. It is a very long time since I have knitted for myself. I never learned to crochet but I do love to knit. It is three weeks today since my op, it is amazing how quickly it flies by.
Do you crochet?
Hello Jetthugger and bendy Golden Gort the glider, it is amazing what you can do if you have to. Do you feel steady on your new knee? Mine feels so strong and stable and has done from day one. I think that is what has amazed me most, I expected to have to get used to standing on it and it feeling a bit unstable but no it is stable and strong and I am confident in it.
No snow here, just lots of very cold rain, grey and miserable. A least I don't feel I am missing anything sitting at home.
Hope your AWOL husband returns in time to make your breakfast in bed!
Hope you both have a great day, keep taking the tablets and keep smiling,
Hugs and sunny smiles, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :yahoo:
 
Funnily enough, yes. I feel very comfortable with putting weight on it & was from the word go. I knit & crochet, was thinking of making a tea-cosy as I am such a tea belly!!! Just looking for a good pattern!! (Will be hysterical sending an already huffy hubby out for wool & a crochet hook!!!) :snork: :rotfl: he's currently off on a mission to get a fresh cream meringue for me as a weekend treat!! Feels like someone has sewn a brick into the front of my knee today. Not exactly painful, but very stiff & uncomfortable!! Gonna ease up today & take it easy (tried to change the duvet!!) :whistle: already got a telling off from Gort & I ticked myself off too!! When did you first attempt the exercise bike? Not sure I will climb on till my staples are out... Just had an offer for two weeks gymn membership for £12, may take that up on week 4 or 5 of my recovery, even just swimming? (May even be able to drive there as I have an automatic) :what: keep smiling toothfairy!! I'm convinced that the right attitude is crucial in recovery!! Big hugs :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Alison, my first venture on the exercise bike was Two weeks after my surgery once I had checked with the physio that it was ok to have a go.
The first three days I just managed rocking and on the fourth day managed a backward rotation by using the hip hitch and wiggle technique. Since then I have been on my bike about twice a day but only for a couple of minutes. In the morning I rock and do a couple of backwards rotations, managed 4 yesterday and in the evenings I only rock and stretch.
This morning I had a breakthrough and managed 10 backwards rotations and it felt much easier. Hooray. :yahoo:
Before I go on my bike I always do all my other stretches first. I do find it feels good to stretch on the bike.
I did have a disaster my first try when I had the saddle at full extension, I toppled the bike over sideways and bashed my TKR leg on the shin, I still have a cracking bruise. :yikes: Since then I have lowered the saddle a notch and I am now fine. It was just a little to high for me. Still you are taller than me(5'5")so probably won't have the same problem.
You could always order wool and needle online, loveknitting is a good site.
You are a bit early for duvet changing. I confined myself to pillowcase changing on week one, helped change the bed on week two and did it all myself yesterday then did all the laundry. Probably a bit much.
I will tackle some ironing today. I am ok if I don't do too much at a time. I have a stool I can perch on while I iron.
Enjoy your meringue, yum. Keep that leg elevated and hope the brick disappears.
Swimming sounds great, your wound needs to be fully closed first.
I agree with you that if you can be happy and positive it helps your recovery. Having said that we all cope differently with these things. I expect we are lucky that we can be philosophical and laugh about it, certainly makes it more fun,
Have a great day,
TF, x :cheers: :egypdance: :bicycle2:
 
Hello ewkp exhausted with knee pain I have lost your thread. I hope everything went well with your surgery yesterday. I will watch out for your recovery thread as soon as you feel up to it. It will be good to hear how you are doing.
Congratulations on getting your shiny new knee.
Hugs coming your way,
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :flwrysmile:
 
Toothfairy, you really are cracking away with this housework, I've no idea how you are doing it so early. I won't change the quilt unless hubby can help :)

Still, u are doing good with the bike,. You'll find you'll mange a forward rotation soon. :flwrysmile:
 
Josephine I would appreciate your advice. I had my dressing removed on Thursday and my wound declared fine. It is mainly looking excellent but at the very top of the wound there is a small area with a resorbable suture poking through. It is clean and dry but very slightly red around it only in this area. My question is is this something that can be left to sort itself out or should I be trimming off the bit that is sticking through or should I go back to see the nurse. There is no pain. I have attached a photo in case that helps.
Thank you for your advice, best wishes,
Toothfairy
[Bonesmart.org] Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust
 
Hi Tf
so close to full rotations now its almost a done deal... it's the perseverance that pays off little by little we get there :yay: :yay: :yay: and Le Tour training will become part of your daily routine. Seems like everything else is moving gently in the right direction and gently is the way to go as we have all learned along the way.
hugs Gami
:friends: :flwrysmile:
 
The exposed suture should be trimmed as it is keeping the mini wound open and can allow infection to collect under the skin. But it needs to be done under surgically clean conditions, meaning by a nurse or PA in the doctor's office using sterile instruments - not at home with your nail scissors!
 
Thank you Josephine I will give the surgery a ring on Monday morning.
Best wishes,
Toothfairy
 
Wow TF! Apart from that hair-fine suture, your scar looks great!! Very neat! :thumb: Get the nurse to snip the tail offa that thing & you'll be 100% :puppysmooze: See, it's a good job we have professionals like Josephine on hand, In your position, I'd have used my teeth!! :rotfl: :heehee: :loll: (only kidding)
 
Sorry to hear about your mishap :bicycle2: you were very lucky my friend, that had to be scary.
Take a picture of your jumper when you are done, I would love to see it.
Toothfairy, you are doing fantastic with your recovery. I have not done the bed, right now it is my husband's job :-).
Make sure to get your appt to take care of that suture, otherwise it looks real good and no hair :yay:
The bike will get easier for you.
Take care and have a wonderful weekend,
 
Hi TF, have you managed to see the doc about the suture? Can he see you straight away? Looks like the arctic from my window, what's the weather like in your area? I'm hoping to see spring at some point next week, may then get to venture out for a little walk with hubby. :snork: Just ten minutes to start, stretch the legs & show Gort the neighbourhood :heehee: How's your walking going? Or has the snow house bound you too? :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom